Taco Bell Is Not Mexican Food

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have a friend who is from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Earlier tonight we were talking and he asked if I was going to the Wildcats game tonight. I'm going to watch it on TV. My family and I are going out for Mexican food in about 30 minutes.

He said he doesn't like Mexican food. I asked him what he has ever had and his answer was Taco Bell.

I wanted to punch him.

First of all anyone who doesn't like Mexican food is someone you should not trust too much. Their taste is all in their mouths. There is nothing better in the world food wise than good Mexican food.

Which is exactly why Taco Bell doesn't qualify. If you live away from the Mexican border area and have never had anything but chain restaurant Mexican food you have no idea what you are missing. You need to come to Arizona and let me take you to any of the dozen or so family owned places I know of. You buy. You owe it to yourself to taste what the real stuff is like.

Chalupas cannot compare with chili con carne or chili colorado. Nothing on a Taco Bell menu can compare with carne asada.

To give you some perspective, comparing food from Taco Bell with real Mexican food is like comparing Inez Saenz from TV Azteca and Janet Reno in a thong bikini contest. Uh, Janet is the Taco Bell in this example.

My friend told me that Taco Bell upsets his stomach and gives him diarrhea. Duh, it ain't food. Your body is rejecting it.

Eat a good chile relleno one time and you begin to understand why good Mexican restaurants run out of them early in the evening. Because they are awesome.

Burritos, tacos, tostadoes, and enchiladas are Mexican food, but they don't even scratch the surface of what these magicians do with food. Not even close.

If you have never tried the real stuff, you need to find a little dive family restaurant and try something other than one of those 4 menu items for a change. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

I can already taste the carne asada I am craving. Gotta run. Just had to share.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Taco Bell barely qualifies as food in general.

Definitely not Mexican food. I'd rather have a fat slab of meat on my plate but won't complain when it comes to mexican food.

A friend of the family used to make home-made tortillas. They were unreal. She brings some over every now and then and they go before anyone has a chance to even put anything on them.

cbfan55

Reaction score
Which is exactly why Taco Bell doesn't qualify. If you live away from the Mexican border area and have never had anything but chain restaurant Mexican food you have no idea what you are missing. You need to come to Arizona and let me take you to any of the dozen or so family owned places I know of. You buy. You owe it to yourself to taste what the real stuff is like.

Thats the same too say about Tx...............There are some unbelieveable places here!

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
Ummmm.....................Any 1 here had cow tounge and cheek tocos??? now thats real mexican food!!!!!

barbacoa.jpg

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3583862 said:
Taco Bell barely qualifies as food in general.

Definitely not Mexican food. I'd rather have a fat slab of meat on my plate but won't complain when it comes to mexican food.

A friend of the family used to make home-made tortillas. They were unreal. She brings some over every now and then and they go before anyone has a chance to even put anything on them.
There used to be a small chain of restaurants in the Houston area that made em fresh for you. They made a good meal great.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3583911 said:
Since when do most college students eat real food?

:laugh2:

Taco bell is me going "out for dinner." Or coming back at 1. Ha, Its great food if its 1 in the morning, let me tell you.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
67CowboysFan;3583896 said:
There used to be a small chain of restaurants in the Houston area that made em fresh for you. They made a good meal great.
There are lots of Mexican food places in Houston that make fresh tortillas.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
On the weekends when we have all the kids, there are seven of us. So Taco Bell is an option for us to eat out cheaply. The food isn't great, but I don't think it's too bad.

I live 45 miles from the Mexican border, so there are tons of good Mexican food places around. Some of them are crazily overpriced, so that's why the Taco Bells here do so well.

Most of the best Mexican food we have is the stuff we make at home.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Chief;3583925 said:
On the weekends when we have all the kids, there are seven of us. So Taco Bell is an option for us to eat out cheaply. The food isn't great, but I don't think it's too bad.

I live 45 miles from the Mexican border, so there are tons of good Mexican food places around. Some of them are crazily overpriced, so that's why the Taco Bells here do so well.

Mexican here in Nashville is decently priced, but my favorite restaurant is called Las Americas, and they have the biggest (almost a foot in diameter) yummiest pupusas (Salvadorean pancake) for $2 a piece. I can generally only eat about 1.5 before completely full...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief;3583925 said:

Drive to Deming and get take out from Amigos. $3.50 per plate and it is so good.

It is worth your time to avoid Taco Bell.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
I don't know good Mexican food from a hole in the wall. Must be a South-West thing, because up here it's a no show.

I never go to Taco Bell, but I have tried restaurants and some of these hole-in-the-wall-family-run places that are crawling with Mexicans, in the seats as well as behind the counter and grill, and I still haven't had anything that has blown me away.

I don't order burritos or chalupas or whatever, I look for things I've never heard of and no matter what I order I get a lot of shredded meats, that don't taste all that grade-A, a mush of diarrhetic looking beans and other 'stuff'.

I dig the chips and salsa they hand out while you wait for everything else, but that's about all I can say.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Hostile;3583957 said:
Drive to Deming and get take out from Amigos. $3.50 per plate and it is so good.

It is worth your time to avoid Taco Bell.

my good sir, that is slander. :)