Taco Charlton

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Taco never was drafted to play RDE. He was always in plan to be the follow up to DLaw.
Why we got DLaw a contract idk. I would have given Takko another year.

Never been a fan of Dlaw. 2+3 picks were too much. And he never showed his value. He more was a me first player in the later times. Dont need a chronic injured player on my roster who playes medicore but demands first round talent money.

I am A Cowboys fan but from now on i will cheer against this sugga all day every day. I dont need me first guys.
:facepalm:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Lol....so your happy we used a first round pick on a 4th or 5th de? Pathetic.

I am very happy with the defense. It is what it is with taco.

I never thought he was going to come into the league and be the top dawg.

What is pathetic is your expectation and outlook.

He has only played 2 years

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I have no expectations. He sucks. Always thought he would. Dumb pick, wasted draft pick.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I have no expectations. He sucks. Always thought he would. Dumb pick, wasted draft pick.

That may be the end result, but we don't know yet.

What is your suggestion on replacing our rotational de with someone of higher quality that doesn't involve going back in time?

ESisback

Reaction score
I'm aware of the traditional differences between strongside and weakside defensive end (or LDE/RDE, whatever you want to call it).

After Taco was drafted, the front office specifically pointed out that they like his athleticism and thought he could play RE or LE.

D-Law's skillset suits him better as a LDE because of how well he plays the run, but he absolutely would be effective rushing the passer at RDE as well. Are you insinuating that you can only get sacks at RDE by being a speed rusher? As you noted, D-Law is a versatile pass rusher and can win in a variety of ways.

You're seeing more RT's with LT skillsets in today's pass happy league. Road-grading right tackles who can't pass protect are becoming extinct because teams will exploit them by putting their best rushers on that side. I'm not buying this idea that Taco needs to be on the strongside to have success because RT's are inferior athletes than LT's. He should be able to win regardless of where he lines up.

Yes! I ALWAYS prefer the player who can line up anywhere!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That may be the end result, but we don't know yet.

What is your suggestion on replacing our rotational de with someone of higher quality that doesn't involve going back in time?

I simply dont see the talent watching him play. HE is missing all the key ingredients. Then when you throw the attitude problem on top of it, it gets even more unlikely. Now you factor in the element that they are proceeding by basically moving on without him and its near impossible.

Replacing a rotational DE? Is that tough? I think the rookie Armstrong from last year is a better prospect. I actually think Taco is the worst DE on the roster. Unless I am missing someone.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys made the same mistake with Charleton that they made with Spears, neither was worth where they were picked. Before looking at the player, look at the D, and neither was the best player on their own D and Spears D was better than the Cowboys.

At least when they took Lawrence and Vander Esch, they were the best players on their own D's. Jaylon was the best player on ND's D. Lord Byron played for a basketball school so I never watched him play at UConn.

And I can tell you that some teams are going to get burned with Auburn and Clemson DL's, they were both exceptional lines because of each other. Those teams better have some other blue chippers on those DL's. Got to be careful with Bama's players on D as well because of that team D.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess Taco is the 2019 whipping boy. Has to be one every year. Our fans just always have to hate on someone, and some everything. :laugh:
Rightfully deserved or not, who knows, each has their own opinion.

I will give him this year to see what happens. Just like giving Dak last year, and I guess now this year too.
I did not like his attitude last season, so maybe it changes this season. However if they trade him in some capacity I will be fine with that as well.
I mean Taco, not Dak. :laugh:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, I see no reason to think that Taco is going to be a good player. He was very suspect at the draft--he was only productive for one year in college, FO's pass rusher evaluation metric hated him--and he hasn't panned out. Maybe he'll turn it around, but I don't think it's very likely.

Secondly, if you draft guys to replace specific guys, you are failing at drafting. You draft guys to get talent, especially in the first round. If you lose your excellent DE but you drafted an awesome DT, or LB, or S, you can still put together a defense as good or better, the talent will just be distributed differently.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I sincerely believe that Taco Charlton was drafted in 2017 to replace DeMarcus Lawrence at LDE. When Charlton was drafted, Lawrence over his first 3 seasons, had missed 16 games games due to injury, and had only started 16 games, while playing in 16 others. He had only 9 sacks in those 32 games played over 3 seasons.

Charlton is not suited to play RDE. He doesn't have the body style, speed or skill set to be a weak side pass rusher going up against the top Left Tackles in the NFL. It is Charlton's bad luck that Lawrence had a breakout season in 2017, followed up by a really good 2018 season. So Charlton is doomed to be the backup to Lawrence, and unless there is an injury, Charlton is not going to get the chance in Dallas to prove his worth.

There was nothing wrong with the Cowboys using a late first round pick on a strong side DE in 2017. You don't typically get elite pass rushers in the bottom of the first round. So the Cowboys settled for a journeyman type player. But Lawrence has blown that up for Charlton. He's destined to be perceived as a bust in Dallas, even if he leaves and has a productive career for another team - kind of like Martellus Bennett, who was stuck behind Witten.

I still think Charlton was a reasonable pick, given the career path of Lawrence at the time the Cowboys made their 2017 first round selection. I choose to celebrate Lawrence finally achieving expectations rather than bemoan the failure of Charlton to beat him out. Lawrence was the 34th pick, while Charlton was the 28th pick. Not much difference, and Lawrence won the job. After Charlton's contract expires in 2020, I wish him luck with his next team.

The Cowboys need to determine who is the long-term solution at the more important position of RDE. Quinn is a good stop-gap solution, and I think he'll actually outperform Lawrence this coming season. It remains to be seen if Gregory will ever overcome his demons, but if he does, he's a good fit at RDE. So, it was worth the small extension the Cowboys gave him to lock him up for two more years, in case he finally reaches his potential. The option of resigning Quinn next year is also on the table. And there is the wildcard of Armstrong, and even Kerry Hyder, who surprised people with a good showing before his injury and coaching change in Detroit. The Cowboys have done enough to move the DE position out of the "NEED" column. They will need to revisit the situation next year.
Who in the blue hell names their kid Taco?

That's my conundrum.........

817Gill

Reaction score
Taco never was drafted to play RDE. He was always in plan to be the follow up to DLaw.
Why we got DLaw a contract idk. I would have given Takko another year.

Never been a fan of Dlaw. 2+3 picks were too much. And he never showed his value. He more was a me first player in the later times. Dont need a chronic injured player on my roster who playes medicore but demands first round talent money.

I am A Cowboys fan but from now on i will cheer against this sugga all day every day. I dont need me first guys.
You’re gonna cheer against D-Law?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

This defense is what it is because of him.

Because he has been a colossal failure is why we had to trade for Quinn. His ineptitude is why we backed up a Brink's truck for Lawrence.

Face it. He is a bust that rivals Bobby Carpenter so far.

But hey, he has a cool sack celebration that impresses the idiots.

nr1F0dW.gif

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Honest question. If Dallas didnt take him, when do you guys think he would've been drafted?

Rayman70

Reaction score
remember the name, DORANCE ARMSTRONG. The kid has been totally humble and quiet, nose to the grindstone since we drafted him. Watch out for him to take Taco's reps away in camp and in preseason. Mark this down, he will get a bigger role this year on the 53. Taco will be gone.