Taco Charlton

Jumbo075

Reaction score
remember the name, DORANCE ARMSTRONG. The kid has been totally humble and quiet, nose to the grindstone since we drafted him. Watch out for him to take Taco's reps away in camp and in preseason. Mark this down, he will get a bigger role this year on the 53. Taco will be gone.

Charlton still has $911,672 of his 2019 salary of $1,376,672 guaranteed in 2019. The Cowboys only save $465,000 if they cut him this season. Also, it's too early for them to give up on a 1st round pick. But if he doesn't show something this year, the Cowboys can save $1,832,507 by cutting him next year. If he does get cut next year, I think it would be a cut after training camp, to give him one last chance to show improvement. Unless there is some off-the-field issue, there is no reason to cut him before September, 2020.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Charlton still has $911,672 of his 2019 salary of $1,376,672 guaranteed in 2019. The Cowboys only save $465,000 if they cut him this season. Also, it's too early for them to give up on a 1st round pick. But if he doesn't show something this year, the Cowboys can save $1,832,507 by cutting him next year. If he does get cut next year, I think it would be a cut after training camp, to give him one last chance to show improvement. Unless there is some off-the-field issue, there is no reason to cut him before September, 2020.
ONE KEY REASON THEY WOULD. They can't keep Armstrong off the field. That's why. I have much confidence in him...maybe more than some. The writings on the wall for Taco. No more excuses. The team will have no issue cutting ties with him if someone better deserves the reps. Thinking they are locked in on Taco and keeping him due to his draft status and salary is vastly overrated. We are in win now mode.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
This defense is what it is because of him.

Because he has been a colossal failure is why we had to trade for Quinn. His ineptitude is why we backed up a Brink's truck for Lawrence.

Face it. He is a bust that rivals Bobby Carpenter so far.

But hey, he has a cool sack celebration that impresses the idiots.

nr1F0dW.gif

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I would blame the draft picks at de on dlaws slow start and Gregory's troubles, and them having to draft taco.

It has seemed like a cluster fack of a position since trying to improve from George selvie. I guess since we had ware.

My point is that you can focus on where we drafted taco, or you can look at the fact that dlaw, Quinn, Gregory, and taco is a very good rotation. And it is not unreasonable that a player improves after year 2. Especially one that has not had much playing time.

nr1F0dW.gif

Verdict

Reaction score
Taco has been a disappointment from where he was drafted. Didn't like the pick at the time and still don't to this day. He plays like he should've been picked in the 5th round.

Yes. He was overdrafted. I hope it comes on for him, but you can get guys who are developmental DEs that can play at his level in the 4th or 5th rounds all day long.

I don't hate the player, but I hate the pick because it was a reach. You don't draft a guy with a first round pick and get zero return on him for two full years unless he's a top 5 pick with an injury, or a QB.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would blame the draft picks at de on dlaws slow start and Gregory's troubles, and them having to draft taco.

It has seemed like a cluster fack of a position since trying to improve from George selvie. I guess since we had ware.

My point is that you can focus on where we drafted taco, or you can look at the fact that dlaw, Quinn, Gregory, and taco is a very good rotation. And it is not unreasonable that a player improves after year 2. Especially one that has not had much playing time.

nr1F0dW.gif

The other problem is that the team has sort of forced the playing time of Taco trying to get him some experience.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Taco never was drafted to play RDE. He was always in plan to be the follow up to DLaw.
Why we got DLaw a contract idk. I would have given Takko another year.

Never been a fan of Dlaw. 2+3 picks were too much. And he never showed his value. He more was a me first player in the later times. Dont need a chronic injured player on my roster who playes medicore but demands first round talent money.

I am A Cowboys fan but from now on i will cheer against this sugga all day every day. I dont need me first guys.

Case in point....dumbest fanbase in all of sports

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I sincerely believe that Taco Charlton was drafted in 2017 to replace DeMarcus Lawrence at LDE. When Charlton was drafted, Lawrence over his first 3 seasons, had missed 16 games games due to injury, and had only started 16 games, while playing in 16 others. He had only 9 sacks in those 32 games played over 3 seasons.

Charlton is not suited to play RDE. He doesn't have the body style, speed or skill set to be a weak side pass rusher going up against the top Left Tackles in the NFL. It is Charlton's bad luck that Lawrence had a breakout season in 2017, followed up by a really good 2018 season. So Charlton is doomed to be the backup to Lawrence, and unless there is an injury, Charlton is not going to get the chance in Dallas to prove his worth.

There was nothing wrong with the Cowboys using a late first round pick on a strong side DE in 2017. You don't typically get elite pass rushers in the bottom of the first round. So the Cowboys settled for a journeyman type player. But Lawrence has blown that up for Charlton. He's destined to be perceived as a bust in Dallas, even if he leaves and has a productive career for another team - kind of like Martellus Bennett, who was stuck behind Witten.

I still think Charlton was a reasonable pick, given the career path of Lawrence at the time the Cowboys made their 2017 first round selection. I choose to celebrate Lawrence finally achieving expectations rather than bemoan the failure of Charlton to beat him out. Lawrence was the 34th pick, while Charlton was the 28th pick. Not much difference, and Lawrence won the job. After Charlton's contract expires in 2020, I wish him luck with his next team.

The Cowboys need to determine who is the long-term solution at the more important position of RDE. Quinn is a good stop-gap solution, and I think he'll actually outperform Lawrence this coming season. It remains to be seen if Gregory will ever overcome his demons, but if he does, he's a good fit at RDE. So, it was worth the small extension the Cowboys gave him to lock him up for two more years, in case he finally reaches his potential. The option of resigning Quinn next year is also on the table. And there is the wildcard of Armstrong, and even Kerry Hyder, who surprised people with a good showing before his injury and coaching change in Detroit. The Cowboys have done enough to move the DE position out of the "NEED" column. They will need to revisit the situation next year.
The Cowboys have been excellent with their 1st round picks since Garrett took over. Taco looks to be one of the busts. I’ll give him one more year though.

CB61

Reaction score
I sincerely believe that Taco Charlton was drafted in 2017 to replace DeMarcus Lawrence at LDE. When Charlton was drafted, Lawrence over his first 3 seasons, had missed 16 games games due to injury, and had only started 16 games, while playing in 16 others. He had only 9 sacks in those 32 games played over 3 seasons.

Charlton is not suited to play RDE. He doesn't have the body style, speed or skill set to be a weak side pass rusher going up against the top Left Tackles in the NFL. It is Charlton's bad luck that Lawrence had a breakout season in 2017, followed up by a really good 2018 season. So Charlton is doomed to be the backup to Lawrence, and unless there is an injury, Charlton is not going to get the chance in Dallas to prove his worth.

There was nothing wrong with the Cowboys using a late first round pick on a strong side DE in 2017. You don't typically get elite pass rushers in the bottom of the first round. So the Cowboys settled for a journeyman type player. But Lawrence has blown that up for Charlton. He's destined to be perceived as a bust in Dallas, even if he leaves and has a productive career for another team - kind of like Martellus Bennett, who was stuck behind Witten.

I still think Charlton was a reasonable pick, given the career path of Lawrence at the time the Cowboys made their 2017 first round selection. I choose to celebrate Lawrence finally achieving expectations rather than bemoan the failure of Charlton to beat him out. Lawrence was the 34th pick, while Charlton was the 28th pick. Not much difference, and Lawrence won the job. After Charlton's contract expires in 2020, I wish him luck with his next team.

The Cowboys need to determine who is the long-term solution at the more important position of RDE. Quinn is a good stop-gap solution, and I think he'll actually outperform Lawrence this coming season. It remains to be seen if Gregory will ever overcome his demons, but if he does, he's a good fit at RDE. So, it was worth the small extension the Cowboys gave him to lock him up for two more years, in case he finally reaches his potential. The option of resigning Quinn next year is also on the table. And there is the wildcard of Armstrong, and even Kerry Hyder, who surprised people with a good showing before his injury and coaching change in Detroit. The Cowboys have done enough to move the DE position out of the "NEED" column. They will need to revisit the situation next year.
I believe the taco Charlton situation will be played out by his own attitude if he can't check his attitude at the door he will be showing the door how I wondered if that was just the Cowboys thinking that last year and then I read a story where he admitted that so shape up or ship out

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I believe the taco Charlton situation will be played out by his own attitude if he can't check his attitude at the door he will be showing the door how I wondered if that was just the Cowboys thinking that last year and then I read a story where he admitted that so shape up or ship out
Judging by his weird Inspirational Poster tweets he puts out, he is trying desperately to convince himself that he is good enough. He is shutting all the haters out. It is quite amusing.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
ONE KEY REASON THEY WOULD. They can't keep Armstrong off the field. That's why. I have much confidence in him...maybe more than some. The writings on the wall for Taco. No more excuses. The team will have no issue cutting ties with him if someone better deserves the reps. Thinking they are locked in on Taco and keeping him due to his draft status and salary is vastly overrated. We are in win now mode.

Armstrong just wasn't physically ready for the NFL last year. He only had a handful of tackles and a half sack. He showed some promise off the edge but he was just overmatched against the run. He's still a project.

As for Charlton, I'm curious to see how much of his struggles last season was due to his shoulder. There is talent there and I think it would be a mistake to give up on him so early. Remember DeMarcus Lawrence started off slow in his career and he was a more finished product coming out of school than Charlton was.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Really, though, what would he actually bring in a trade?

A team could be willing to part with a pick in the 4th to 6th round range if they think they can get him to eventually play like a first rounder. It would be a steal if that was the case.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I think the Cowboys need to give Taco another chance. He has talent and it may be a mistake to pull the plug on him so soon, especially if he really was injured last season.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
A team could be willing to part with a pick in the 4th to 6th round range if they think they can get him to eventually play like a first rounder. It would be a steal if that was the case.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but I think the Cowboys need to give Taco another chance. He has talent and it may be a mistake to pull the plug on him so soon, especially if he really was injured last season.
I think he'll be here this year unless a team overpay's for him and I can't see that happening.

Angus12

Reaction score
So the Cowboys settled for a journeyman type player.
If that were even remotely true, then the powers that be that make those decisions are brain dead. You don't settle in the first friggin' round. If you deem the guy to be a journyman type player, you move on and take somebody else.