Taco in an alternate universe

zerofill

Reaction score
Jerry and Marinelli dropped the ball royally by passing up on TJ Watt over soft Taco. Ugh.

Can you imagine if TJ was a Cowboy?

2018 results would have been:

D-Law: 10.5 sacks
+
TJ Watt: 14 sacks

:mad::(:confused:

I wanted Watt, and I wanted Taco... was right on one, and wrong on the other so far. Taco has made almost $7 mil... He definitely needs to make up for that money this season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yah, but you can take any player from any team and plug them into a different team and scheme and they'll get 10.5 sacks. Won't they? No? We sure make comparisons like they will. I think it's ridiculous but what do I know
You, MonacoCat and others need to go watch some film the past 2 years on TJ Watt. 75% of the time he is being used as an edge rusher on a 4 man front, meaning, the Steelers were running a 4 man base Dline. Half of those times, TJ Watt had his hand in the dirt. The other half he was standing up while rushing from the edge just like both D-Ware and Greg Ellis used to. Don't tell me TJ Watt wouldn't work in Dallas' 4-3 base scheme when film is showing he can and has while in Pittsburgh. Quit making excuses for Marinelli and his failed ancient non-creative ways.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Lawrence Taylor, Demarcus Ware, Charles Haley -- all OLB, and yet somehow figured out how to rush the passer from the 4-3 when needed.

Bad Bad argument.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Marinelli dropped the ball royally by passing up on TJ Watt over soft Taco. Ugh.

+

Maybe, maybe not. It's not a given Watt's results would be the same with another team, especially one that runs a 4-3 defense instead of a 3-4. Not that I doubt Watt would be a better pass rusher, but we really can't say if it would have made a huge difference or a more subtle difference with the Cowboys.

The "what if" game isn't really worth playing anyway, because every team can look at every draft with hindsight and find players they could have taken that are better than ones they did take. Nobody gets it all right, so the only way to judge is overall success from year to year. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the last several drafts the Cowboys have had.

jrumann59

Reaction score

+

Stats in a vacuum mean nothing. TJ playing a 3-4 always rushing the passer, 4-3 Tampa-(ish) 2 plays the run to the QB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Stats in a vacuum mean nothing. TJ playing a 3-4 always rushing the passer, 4-3 Tampa-(ish) 2 plays the run to the QB.
Go watch film the past 2 years on TJ Watt. He has excelled playing an edge rusher (half the time with hand in the dirt) on a 4 man base Dline, and he has played the pass and the run well.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
We'll see about Taco. Yes, disappointing so far, but the jury is still out IMO. Some make the transition to the pros faster than others.

Also, there are shades of grey between "all-pro" and "draft bust". Perhaps Taco is just a solid role player and nothing more. Doesn't mean he has no value to the team. Maybe the Cowboys would have made a different pick in hindsight, but they have been generally drafting very well in recent drafts.

Jipper

Reaction score
what if we had given up on dlaw after year two? you guys have to give him time to develop....just like you did with dlaw

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
You, MonacoCat and others need to go watch some film the past 2 years on TJ Watt. 75% of the time he is being used as an edge rusher on a 4 man front, meaning, the Steelers were running a 4 man base Dline. Half of those times, TJ Watt had his hand in the dirt. The other half he was standing up while rushing from the edge just like both D-Ware and Greg Ellis used to. Don't tell me TJ Watt wouldn't work in Dallas' 4-3 base scheme when film is showing he can and has while in Pittsburgh. Quit making excuses for Marinelli and his failed ancient non-creative ways.

Ok man, I'll quit making excuses for Mari. I didn't know I was but I must have been if you say so right

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All you guys doubting him......you may be right in the end.....but let's remember how much you guys loved Demarcus Lawrence by year 3...............or Byron Jones...........or how you guys LOVED the LVE pick....well...you loved it after he played like a All Pro but hated him at the time of the pick except.....Floaty of all people.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What if Taco Charlton played up to the value of the 1st round draft pick that was used to acquire him? Would that have affected D Law's new deal? Would the Cowboys be SB champs right now? The FO has invested so much in this guy and has seen very little return on that investment. If we value 1st round draft picks then we need to recognize the difference Taco could have made to this team. Your thoughts?
As much as we all love the work the team has done with the offense..

the defense has been little more than a step-child comparatively.

Wolf Hunter and Jaylon have been enormous improvements as has Tank.

When you look at the rest..it's a very mixed bag of tricks.

Yes Byron Jones went Pro Bowl but only after 3 years of disappoint,ent and position wandering.

Another # 1 pick we very nearly cut before last year.

Instead of featuring Taco at all..the coaches made Gregory and Irvin their pet cats.

They took the long view Taco was not ready.

Now..their preference for Irvin and Gregory has erupted in suspensions and retirement and Taco is being hammered.

This is where I say they completely did not plan well.

For the last 2 years..Taco should have been playing..making his mistakes if that was the outcomes..

but getting experience.

To me, this year he needs to be moved inside at times in obvious passing downs and let him take advantage of Tank and Quinn at the ends.

You can rotate in the other tackles as well..but get the best pass rushers on the field at the same time.

I have seen Taco get good penetration but just not finish it well and no sack.

If he has to only deal with a center or G in his pass rush..at end he has to come much further and deal with tackles and RBs in pass protection and that is much tougher.

Simplify his responsibilities and turn him loose.

Will the coaches do this?

Do they have a choice?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What if Taco Charlton played up to the value of the 1st round draft pick that was used to acquire him? Would that have affected D Law's new deal? Would the Cowboys be SB champs right now? The FO has invested so much in this guy and has seen very little return on that investment. If we value 1st round draft picks then we need to recognize the difference Taco could have made to this team. Your thoughts?

If Taco had lived up to his potential, we wouldn't have spent $8 million and a draft pick on Robert Quinn. We didn't draft Taco because of Lawrence. We drafted him because Gregory's a pothead.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He’s a 3-4 year project and he needs reps to fully develop. Sometimes they need to let players play a full series instead of rotating them in and out. But he’s very immature so it’s up to him to get in shape both during the offseason as well as during the season if he’s ever going to take that giant leap forward....

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worst part about the players is their unwritten rule not to criticize each other. Sometimes peer pressure is the best way to light a fire under another players butt. The hotboyz need to get on taco's butt and motivate him.
If he isn't motivated by now, not sure what it will take. I like self starters.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If Taco had lived up to his potential, we wouldn't have spent $8 million and a draft pick on Robert Quinn. We didn't draft Taco because of Lawrence. We drafted him because Gregory's a pothead.
So after Taco doesn't get it together this coming season, we finally stop wasting time with him and extend quin's contract?