Taco: What should we expect?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Kony Ealy is IMO our best offseason pickup. A few years ago I was screaming to draft him. He was SEC defensive player of the year coming out of Missouri.

cowboyec

Reaction score
he was much better by seasons end with more playing time...I believe we'll see a much better player than last year.

Reactions: CWR

Verdict

Reaction score
I expect him to try hard and have a great attitude. My hope is that he also executes at a high level, but I don't expect that.

You should be able to expect that from an undrafted free agent. Your standards are pretty forgiving.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From my point of view a first round pick should not be a complete project. A bottom of the first round player may not be "starter ready" but he should "flash potential" on a frequent enough basis to justify the pick and inspire confidence that he will eventually be "the guy".

In my eyes Taco failed that reasonable test last year and underperformed his draft status.
The way Taco flashed in December and progress in the 2nd half of the season he clearly passes any rookie test.

I'm not sure he can become the starter this year because the Cowboys have a lot of DE's on the roster.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
1sTOyhR.gif

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You should be able to expect that from an undrafted free agent. Your standards are pretty forgiving.
My standards have been beaten away. I expect very little from the team now and just hope for the best since I don't have any legitimate authority to demand more. The coach seems to demand effort and attitude and that is what I now expect from the players since that is what appears to be expected of them.

Verdict

Reaction score
The way Taco flashed in December and progress in the 2nd half of the season he clearly passes any rookie test.

I'm not sure he can become the starter this year because the Cowboys have a lot of DE's on the roster.

I'm curious about this thought process and I would like for you to give this some serious consideration and be honest with yourself.

Taco was drafted in the first round meaning he was taken in the top 32 picks. There are 22 starters, not including slot corners, and extra offensive positions.

The average shelf life on an NFL player (drafted in any position) is less than five years. Why would a person NOT expect a first round player to be a full fledged starter by year two?

Moreover, prior to last year, we were perceived to have one (or less) legitimate starting caliber DE on the roster. Why the relaxed standard in light of these facts. It's a moving goal post.

aria

Reaction score
Agree with OP. I’m not expecting much and for all the people drooling over how great this team allegedly is at drafting I consider this a let down. Obviously he can turn it around, and hopefully does, but as of now I have very little to be optimistic about. I honestly can’t say I’m surprised though, I hated the pick from the beginning and caught quite a bit of flak for saying so during the draft.

Verdict

Reaction score
My standards have been beaten away. I expect very little from the team now and just hope for the best since I don't have any legitimate authority to demand more. The coach seems to demand effort and attitude and that is what I now expect from the players since that is what appears to be what is expected of them.

No. We should continue to expect success. Whether the team delivers it is an entirely different matter.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Depends what are your expectations. He was late 1st rounder in a shallow draft for 1st round talent especially at DE sort of like when Tank was drafted. Charlton is a different type player than tank he is more a prototypical pass rusher which takes time because it relies more on technique and developing moves as opposed to a Tank that is more an outside 3T which is stop the run then rush the passer. That being said some here think he should be doing a Bosa or Ware and he is not an all worldly talent like those two.

Verdict

Reaction score
Agree with OP. I’m not expecting much and for all the people drooling over how great this team allegedly is at drafting I consider this a let down. Obviously he can turn it around, and hopefully does, but as of now I have very little to be optimistic about. I honestly can’t say I’m surprised though, I hated the pick from the beginning and caught quite a bit of flak for saying so during the draft.

I thought he was overdrafted at the time. I didn't care for some of his measuarables. He will have to get it done with strength. Speed isn't ever going to get him there. That will take time. He should have been drafted no higher than the 3rd round.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Taco played better the more playing time he received. It’s widely known that pass rushers take time to adjust at the NFL level and need to REAL ‘in game’ play time to improve. Nate Newton was advocating all year, that Taco get as many reps as possible, and his production towards the end of the season points towards an ascending player. Here’s a quote I found after the Seattle game last year:

“Charlton is coming off arguably his best game last Sunday vs. the Seattle Seahawks. He had a sack, two quarterback pressures and a tackle in only 22 snaps.”

His biggest issue early last year, besides the lack of playing time, was strength in his lower body. He was seen pushed or washed out of a play by opposing OL. I’m sure he understands the deficiency, as he’s constantly posting himself working out on his twitter account.

I believe 8+ sacks is realistic if giving more playing time. But let’s not forget, Lawrence and Irving will be stingy with the available sacks and Marenilli will continue to rotate guys in. Taco will have others like Ealy, Crawford, Armstrong, Tapper, and possibly Gregory competing for those sacks also. That said, he’s a smart guy and will be determined, as he put it, to be an “elite” pass rusher. After a productive offseason of working out, refining his skills to the Pro game, and wrapping his head around this defense.. I’m expecting him to show us why he was a first rounder nonetheless. Guess we’ll see..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and salsa in a crispy or soft corn tortilla. Unless you order a different taco like chicken or fish, then you should expect chicken or fish instead of meat. Unless you want something like a Tofu taco, in which case I will hold your head under water in the bath tub until you stop wiggling.