Taco: What should we expect?

ESisback

Reaction score
Putting arbitrary numbers as expectations based on where they were drafted is just silly imo. It all depends on how they use him and his role on the D when is on the field. For example, let's say another DE, I will use Gregory just for a name, is really really good at rushing the QB but is a liability against the run, where as Taco is really good at both. So they use Taco on traditional run downs/distance and use Gregory on traditional pass downs/distance. Taco only ends up with 4 sacks and Gregory has 12. But Taco got more snaps, had more tackles and really helped this team being a dominate run stopping D,, is he still a bust because he didn't get the 8 sacks you are setting as an expectation because he was taken in the 1st?

Exactly! Details, circumstance. Too many get too caught up in a certain set of stats to measure a player’s impact in regard to his draft status.

Verdict

Reaction score
To me, Charleton is Marcus Spears, a good player off a better defense. The LSU D and Michigan D were both better than the Cowboys. And Charleton wasn't their best D player as Spears wasn't either.

I prefer a pick like Vander Esch, the best player on an OK D to spending a 1st on a good player off a better D.

In this current NFL, I expect any 1st rounder, not a QB, to start and he did not take his spot. He's our first 1st in a while not to start and play some significant time but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he might be a slow developer but he has to come on this season. He has to make Lawrence expendable.

That's right.

Verdict

Reaction score
Putting arbitrary numbers as expectations based on where they were drafted is just silly imo. It all depends on how they use him and his role on the D when is on the field. For example, let's say another DE, I will use Gregory just for a name, is really really good at rushing the QB but is a liability against the run, where as Taco is really good at both. So they use Taco on traditional run downs/distance and use Gregory on traditional pass downs/distance. Taco only ends up with 4 sacks and Gregory has 12. But Taco got more snaps, had more tackles and really helped this team being a dominate run stopping D,, is he still a bust because he didn't get the 8 sacks you are setting as an expectation because he was taken in the 1st?

Pretty much. If he can't start and get 8 sacks by his second year as a first round pick then yeah he would be a bust --at least up to that point.

Billyd

Reaction score
I WANT 8 SACKS, some breakfast tacos from Bueno, and a terrorist in the run game!

the_h0wey

Reaction score
One of the big question marks for the upcoming season is Taco Charlton. What is he? What should we expect? What should his contribution be?

He was a first round pick. From my point of view a first round pick should not be a complete project. A bottom of the first round player may not be "starter ready" but he should "flash potential" on a frequent enough basis to justify the pick and inspire confidence that he will eventually be "the guy".

In my eyes Taco failed that reasonable test last year and underperformed his draft status. That does not mean he is a bust, can't redeem himself, or eventually be "the man" but it does seem to indicate that he was a bit of a reach.

What are reasonable expectations for him this year, after a year of weight training, NFL experience and NFL coaching? I think the floor expectations are that he "should be" a starter. If not he is way behind his draft position. Moreover, he should also be at least an average starter at his position in his second year. Otherwise he is behind the curve.

What do I expect out of Taco? I expect him to be way above average against the run. He should be sealing off the end with the best of them. Reality? I think he will be close to that this year.

What do I expect out of Taco in pass rushing? I expect him to get at least 8 sacks. I think barring a bit of luck he will fall short of that.

Summary. I expect Taco to underperform his draft status. I think he will eventually be a solid but very unspectacular player for the first few years of his contract. He will eventually be an average starter at DE even if it's not this year.

I think Taco was drafted two rounds to early for his skill level. That's not the end of the world, but it was not a great use of a first round pick. I believe we could have drafted a player of Taco's ability level in the 3rd round. That's not the end of the world, obviously, but getting any less than an average starter out of Taco is significantly underperforming his draft status.

Side note: For those of you who think it's ok that Taco finally perform in the last year of his contract and then we are forced to let him walk or sign him to a big contract (THATS A BIG FAIL) because you can sign a guy like that in free agency.
I typically expect my tacos to be very tasty. I like them with steak, corn tortillas, cilantro, and cheese.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
He will show improvement this year, and be a stud next year. He came in with a good frame, and the ability to add muscle. After he has 2 seasons, plus getting a little older, training, and growing into his body, he will tear it up.

Every so often there are freaks who come out of college and are ready to dominate the nfl. Everyone else has to work on it. He will be a solid guy with potential for more.

Jipper

Reaction score
Pretty much. If he can't start and get 8 sacks by his second year as a first round pick then yeah he would be a bust --at least up to that point.

What if he gets 7 and dlaw gets 17 and Irving has another 8 to 10?

You have to take a look at the line wholestically and huge how they help each other...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not expecting much and for all the people drooling over how great this team allegedly is at drafting I consider this a let down. Obviously he can turn it around, and hopefully does, but as of now I have very little to be optimistic about.
You clearly had you expectations set far too high. All off season there was a constant thread on the first page about keeping expectations realistic for Taco. That's clear from your comment about considering him a let down. There is obviously a lot to be optimistic about Taco but your dislike for the pick is distorting your view.

Verdict

Reaction score
You clearly had you expectations set far too high. All off season there was a constant thread on the first page about keeping expectations realistic for Taco. That's clear from your comment about considering him a let down. There is obviously a lot to be optimistic about Taco but your dislike for the pick is distorting your view.

Taco underperformed his draft status. It's not really about his stats. He showed ZERO last year until the very end of the year he gave a glimmer of hope. We have pissed off one year of his rookie contract have have reaped zero in returns on Taco so far.

Hopefully Taco worked his *** off in the weight room all offseason and seizes a starting role. If he doesn't then he is really behind the curve. If he can't seize a starting role in his second year then he is WAY underperforming his draft status.

Verdict

Reaction score
He should improve.

Actually, although I have been pretty hard on Taco, I think he will improve too. He needs to improve substantially though to justify his draft position---this year. I hope he gets it done.

I would like to see him make Lawrence expendable.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Actually, although I have been pretty hard on Taco, I think he will improve too. He needs to improve substantially though to justify his draft position---this year. I hope he gets it done.

I would like to see him make Lawrence expendable.

He has time; this year and next.