Take a break from coach talk for a minute and discuss players

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WR
If Beasley leaves, who do you want as the slot WR. Tavon Austin, draft pick or other.

TE
Is Jarwin good enough at TE?

RB
Do they need a legit backup RB?

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

Swap La'el and Connor Williams?

Give Looney a shot at as a starting OG (If Frederick returns OK)?

Draft another OT? If Tyron misses much time they could be doomed with the current roster.

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

If Marinelli moves aside for Kris Richard, do they consider a Big-Boy type DT? Seattle had the 330 pound A.Rubin for 2016 and 2017 but most years their DTs were not over 310. They did have a Strong Side DE for a few years that was bigger than the DTs.

LB
Stephen says they want Lee to return; however, his salary is around 7M. Do they get all 3 on the field together?

Safety
Will they consider signing Earl Thomas now?

Last edited:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Silo is under contract
I do not swap Connor and Collins
I let Beasley walk
Lee takes a pay cut
I absolutely sign Earl
TE needs an upgrade
No to more capital at RB.
No at OT

Zordon

Reaction score
WR - draft pick or Crowder
TE - I'm comfortable developing the two on the roster and adding another for blocking purposes
RB - yes big time. 4th rd pick
OL - I like these guys. I'm comfortable resigning all of them. RT needs to be a real competition. Enough of the promises to LC.
DL - If Taco wasn't such a bum, I'd be comfortable letting him go. Now I try to workout a team friendly deal. The guy brings some serious intangibles to the unit. Get S. Richardson on another prove it deal.
LB - bye lee
S - depends on what we do with D-Law but I'm leaning towards not signing him. tre boston once again we let him go for cheap to ARI and he was very good this year. let's not let this happen again pls.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. I try to resign Beasley. Hopefully a 3 year deal for 5-6 per. I think rhats in the Edelman range. He signed a 2 year 11m deal I think.

2. Jarwin showes promise. Not enough to warrant ignoring the position.

3. 100% they need another RB. Preferably one that can be used in multiple ways. A James white type would be great.

4. OL. I keep Collins at RT. I think I am one of the only ones that believe in him. Williams better be in the damn weight room and showing down 5000 calories of good food a day...

5. DL. I have wanted a true big body inside for years. Woods played well this year but imo he is a rotational guy. The draft is STACKED at DL this year.

Lawrence is gonna be signed but he still needs to up his level for a whole 16 games.

5. Lee only comes back I hope at a vastly reduced number. They will let Wulson walk and take another lb late in the draft.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
WR
If Beasley leaves, who do you want as the slot WR. Tavon Austin, draft pick or other.

TE

RB

OLine
Re-sign Sua-Filo?

Draft another OT? If Tyron misses much time they could be doomed with the current roster.

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

If Marinelli moves aside for Kris Richard, do they consider a Big-Boy type DT? Seattle had the 330 pound A.Rubin for 2016 and 2017 but most years their DTs were not over 310. They did have a Strong Side DE for a few years that was bigger than the DTs.

LB
Stephen says they want Lee to return; however, his salary is around 7M. Do they get all 3 on the field together?

Safety

WR draft pick/other
TE other
RB yes, need to upgrade backup
OL yes give Looney a shot at LG if Fredbeard comes back Williams may need another year to bulk/strengthen up, don't know if one off season will be enough. Re-sign Sua Filo, on the fence about La'el, depends on how Williams progresses and Looney does. Probably look at bringing another Swing tackle, but don't necessarily need to draft one.

DLaw yes, but how much and how long are the real questions

DT I think Woods will be OK, but Collins has too many injury concerns and they should look to upgrade.
LB Lee only stays if he takes a substantial paycut. He cannot be counted on to remain healthy.
Safety No to ET, we have too many other monetary questions that need to be answered. He wants to be paid so hard to think he would take a "hometown discount" The Draft is the most likely place to find one, but there may be someone available during FA or via trade.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
WR

TE

RB

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

LB

Safety
Seriously: Thank You.
X

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
WR

TE

RB

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

LB

Safety

I've been saying get a legit #2 rb for years.

Beasley gone. Hope we keep Austin, and fake fake fake those jet sweeps. And give him some too. He's better than Beasley for 1st and 2nd downs because he's a much better complement to the run game. Runs, run fakes, and the speed to go deep. Very good fit for us on 1st and 2nd.

SuaFila, Ehinger, and Looney area already signed for next year. All cheap too. If we cut one, it's only because they're all healthy come season start.

There's a good chance that Williams becomes the swing T/G primary backup, preparing him to replace Collins at RT in 2020.

Jarwin not good enough. 1 game. Still not much of a force in blocking. And Stephen has already made noise about TE being a priority. Though I wonder what they think about Swaim too. Wonder too about Rico. He really hasn't caught on. Then again, by overthecap, he's only got 2 accrued seasons. He better show real improvement and ability to contribute, or he likely doesn't make the season.

I think they'll sign Lawrence and it will be a bad deal for us.

No Thomas. Woods has looked good by some metrics. He's the future of FS. What we need is a SS. That aint Thomas.

I hope we bring Lee back, but rework the contract to protect the team from injury. I'd love to get all 3 on the field in our base, and then stick with them. Maybe our base is a modified nickel, with only 1 S, 3 CBs, and Jaylon playing in the box like a SS, blitzing, run support, and man coverage on TEs.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
The slot WR? I’ll take one in the draft,UDFA or a mid tier FA,if we don’t already have a good prospect for the job. Austin can’t stay healthy,so I’m not in favor of him in that role. I do really like Austin on STs though...and want him resigned if for that reason alone if possible.

TE? We do need a guy who can both block and catch. Jarwin is great at receiving,but he’s no blocking TE. I would say ”We got Swaim” but he’s not explosive enough,and just your good all around journeyman type. But even if they couldn’t find one? They’d be able to make it work ,having gone through what they just did.

RB? Yes,they could use some more juice out of that spot,but it’s not something I’m fretting over. It really would help though,if they had a good utility man for the change up run,passing game.and STs.

O-line and Filo? Yes,I’d resign him for depth at least. They were at their best running with him,and you know we are going to need someone with the ever present injury situations. And sure,you could put Looney at LG if Fred is good to go,but not sure on the Connor and Collins switch until I see him play at T first....And yes,they need to start seriously looking for a new franchise LT.

D-Law? No he’s not worth the money he’ll get. The guys you saw from other teams in post season? Those are your money men. No big play? No big pay. That’s my rule.

DT question? Beats me....I’ve barked so many years about DT,that I never give the notion of them actually getting a dominate one real credence.

Lee? If he stays? All 3 on the field. I don’t like the way the defense played with Lee and Vanders rotating at all. It felt like a QB change where the unit plays different,and not for the better either.

ET? That’s an easy answer. Stephen said no. They used the big FA money on Cooper,and he bluntly said we aren’t going after any big FAs.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
WR

TE

RB

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

LB

Safety
Beas is probably gone and we keep Austin.

Look for TE and safety depth in
the draft.
No need for a RB, I think we are good with Smith
Could use a big DT since DI is a bust.
Look at Kickers
Sua-F is good.
Maybe Lee restructures contract or retire and become LB coach
They won't spend on saftey FA

SackMaster

Reaction score
WR

I could be in the minority, but I don't want a "slot receiver" any more. Give me a guy with some size that can be a RZ / possession type and if he can't be the "smaller quick" slot receiver, so be it. If we quick WR that runs great routes for some slot plays, we have Amari or Gallup for that. For the right price, I keep Austin on the team, and while I don't have a problem giving him plays in the slot, the guy is the kick/punt returner, first and foremost.​

TE

His 190 yard 3 TD day was awesome, but no, I would not go into the offseason with him penciled in at #1 TE. Same for any other TE Dallas had in 2018. I'm not saying we need to reach for a TE, but if a TE is available in FA or the Draft, they better be passed over for a guy who is clearly a better player and/or at a position that is more vital to the offense or defense.​

RB

Yes, if for nothing else but to allow us to not Force Feed Zeke (runs and pass) 30+ times every game, so look at a RB in day 3 of the draft. And if we can keep Austin, give him some runs from other positions, just don't telegraph it.
OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

Only if the price is right. I don't expect him to be a starter, but I am OK with him filling in if/when needed. Clearly behind Collins, Williams and/or Looney.​

I hate switching position on players for the sake of switching, but this may be a Byron Jones situation on the OLine. Except I always wanted Jones as a CB and I'm not extremely confident with La'el at OG or Williams at OT.​

You would think he deserves it after filling in for Frederick and not being terrible and the LG slot not exactly solidified. So hey, give him a shot, but I don't expect him to beat out Collins or Williams.​

I don't disagree, but it will all come down to who is available with our first pick. If talent wise the two players are similarly equal for their positions, I may roll with an OT over any other position. But it would have to be real close.​

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

Depends on the amount. He's not a better passrusher than Ware, but he does bring an attitude that Ware never had. I would like to keep him, but if he wants tip-top DE money, he can go play elsewhere.​

I've wanted a Fat Boy DT in the lineup after Willie Blade was no longer on the team. So I would say yes. But the Cowboys don't seem to value BEEF, even to the point to run with a sub-300 lbs 3-4 NT for years, so I don't see this happening.​

LB

If you can get Lee to restructure with some incentives, ABSOLUTELY. And I don't care who plays which LB position (nickel still should be LVE and Jaylon 95% of the time), but a good coach can find a way to get all 3 on the field every time in our Base D.​

Safety

I have never been against ET the player, but I am wholeheartedly against ET the contract. It does not have to be super cheep, but it can't be a Top-10 Safety contract either. 13-16 range could be good if ET accepts.​

Eanwen

Reaction score
WR

TE

RB

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

LB

Safety

Put Amari in the slot IMO and get a decent outside wr either in the draft or free agency
I don't think Jarwin is good enough, although I admit I could be wrong. I want either DT or TE in the second.
We need a better backup RB if we are going to run so much.
Leave the OL as is, get Connor bulked up and draft OT in 2020.
We should keep DLaw as he's really the only pass rushing threat, and is good against the run as well. I don't know how much salary is too much tho.
They need to figure out how to get all 3 on the field if they are running the 4-3 IMO, and on nickel,dime Lee should be on the bench.
Doesn't sound like Stephen is going to be active in free agency, which is a shame.

Verdict

Reaction score
WR

I think it's highly likely Beasley departs. I think we keep Austin, Wilson may become a factor and we add another receiver via the draft or UDFA if the opportunity arises.

I think we will add a WR in rounds 2-4 if the opportunity arises. It will be a higher priority than most people think it will be IMHO.

TE

Yes Jarwin is good enough. But it's not a team strength. We may go the bargain bin here. I wouldn't be surprised if we draft someone high if that's the highest rated player but I don't think it's as high of a priority to the club as many do.

RB

Absolutely. It's a huge need. We need to insure against the loss of Zeke due to injury AND we need two guys who can give him a real breather.

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

I would like to see him stay because he played relatively well. If he is the weakest part of your team then you have a strong team.

Yes. We know Collins is a very good guard. Williams in undersized inside.

I would use Williams as the swing tackle and draft a true RT.

Yes.

We need another OT. No doubt about it.

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

It depends on what kind of money. Top 5? Probably not. Other than that? Yeah he's a good player.

No idea but a I sure hope so!!

LB

I would talk Lee into coaching and move on from him as a player immediately.

Safety

Depends on money, but I don't think so.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
WR

TE

RB

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

LB

Safety

WR...

It's a bit of a gamble, but I resign Tavon and roll with Cooper, Gallup, Austin, Cedrick Wilson and Noah Brown. Hurns is a wildcard if he can return from injury. Maybe draft a slot guy late in draft.

TE...

Stephen has already indicated that TE needs help, and I agree. Probably 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

RB...

Definitely need help here.

OL...

It's a good problem to have. Although I don't see the coaching staff moving La'el.

DLaw...

He's worth it, yes. Sets the tone for the entire D.

DT...

Need more beef inside. We are smallish and rely too much on movement to be effective. All you need is one real Hos who can hunker down and foil opposing OL run-blocking schemes. Even if he plays only 15-20 snaps.

Safety...

I seriously look into signing Earl. Unless there's some high probability of him rebreaking his leg, I don't see the injury risk. He has 3-4 years of Pro Bowl caliber play in him. And we clearly could use his playmaking and experience in the secondary.

Questfor6

Reaction score
WR:. Beasley can go, put Cooper inside his best seasons in Oakland were from the slot. Draft a big framed WR like Harry, Butler or Preston Williams.

TE. Jarwin is solid but him and Schultz are easily upgradable. Fant and Hockenson will be long gone before we pick. I like Irv Smith Jr who's game reminds me of Jordan Reed & Kaden Smith who looks like a young Jason Witten reincarnated.

RB. This team needs to find a Tarik Cohen type of player for the passing game.

OL. Ideal opening day line next yr for me is Tyron, Looney, Frederick, Martin, Williams. La'el on another roster.

DL. D Lawrence needs paid, we won't find one like him elsewhere. No need to get stupid like the Raiders and get rid of our elite pass rusher. Need to add at least 2 DT to this roster who can contribute.

LB. Lee can go, I'd much rather use that 7 million elsewhere.

I'd sign Earl Thomas but it'd be a incentive based contract. 2 yr deal with heavy incentives on playing 16 games each year and performance bonuses. Similar type of deal structure that they gave Henry Melton & Greg Hardy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
WR

TE

RB

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

LB

Safety

Other ( Adam Humphries)

No on Jarwin. Upgrade

Yes on backup RB.

Su’a can walk. Don’t care.

I’m fine with a swap of Connor and La’el but it’s too early.

Give Looney every opportunity to start

If a stud OT appears in the draft then take them.

D law is worth it

Marinelli moves aside in September last year

Keep Lee if he takes a paycut.. He can still play and will stay healthy with less work

Yes they will consider Thomas but we will be outbid.

conner01

Reaction score
Silo is under contract
I do not swap Connor and Collins
I let Beasley walk
Lee takes a pay cut
I absolutely sign Earl
TE needs an upgrade
No to more capital at RB.
No at OT
If I got a shot at a good OT prospect I’d take it
Not because of smith but Collins
He’s up for a new deal after next year
I like options
Now I don’t think the option is happening with this draft but you never know

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Move Connor to RT, release Collins save 10 mil, release Lee save 7 mil, sign E Thomas/LCollins, Grady Jarett and franchise DLaw.
You think the Falcons will let Jarrett leave? I just cant see that happening