Take a break from coach talk for a minute and discuss players

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Tavon Austin isn't a WR. He isn't good at it and he's never affirmed that label. He's only listed as WR because he doesn't like doing RB drills in training camp. He's a returner and a gadget player, of which he's quite good at. You need a real slot WR. You should trade for this Steelers guy named Ryan Switzer, he caught 82% of passes thrown to him this year. I think he's gonna be a real good slot.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hurns

Ever watch him with the Jags?

hurns is done in dallas.

His injury will take him into August just to be able to get back onto the field. Then to get in football shape, then to get back into the rythem/ If he is on the Cowboys team next season it wont be until atleast week 9.

Dallas needs a slot.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
WR
If Beasley leaves, who do you want as the slot WR. Tavon Austin, draft pick or other.

TE
Is Jarwin good enough at TE?

RB
Do they need a legit backup RB?

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

Swap La'el and Connor Williams?

Give Looney a shot at as a starting OG (If Frederick returns OK)?

Draft another OT? If Tyron misses much time they could be doomed with the current roster.

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

If Marinelli moves aside for Kris Richard, do they consider a Big-Boy type DT? Seattle had the 330 pound A.Rubin for 2016 and 2017 but most years their DTs were not over 310. They did have a Strong Side DE for a few years that was bigger than the DTs.

LB
Stephen says they want Lee to return; however, his salary is around 7M. Do they get all 3 on the field together?

Safety
Will they consider signing Earl Thomas now?
would love to see David Sills or Keesean Johnson in the draft for the slot.

Jarwin looks the part, but i think they want a bigger guy. As SJ has already said TE is a priority in the draft.

When did Rod Smith become a non legit backup RB?

Filo is ok, but with Frederick coming back, and Redmond playing decent i think they draft a guy.

Dallas sees Collins as a T how many times do they have to say it before fans get it through their brain that hes not going back to G\

Think Looney def needs to compete with Williams for starting LG

Dalls def needs to draft a T

Lawrence i would field calls in private if teams would give a rd1 and other picks for him. Like him but i think Gregory is going to be the real deal. But i think they pay Lawrence and move on from him in 3 yrs.

I dont understand why u guys continue this big DT thing. Dallas rushed wide, and the rams took advantage because Dallas next strayed from that. Its not like the Rams were manhandling him. they allowed him to go where he was supposed to and the Rams ran to the open spot. Walker you have all22 and its amazing u havent seen that. If Dallas would've loaded the box and allowed the CBs to matchup one on one that 276 wouldnt have happened. DEF coaches were affraid of the presnap movement.

None of the 3 LBers are a SAM. Lee is gone

Brooksey

Reaction score
Dallas sees Collins as a T how many times do they have to say it before fans get it through their brain that hes not going back to G\

Yeah but for $10,000,000 against the cap? I like Lae'l been one of his biggest fans but that's too much money IMO.

kwcool619

Reaction score
A high football IQ, physical safety is sorely needed. One who can match up against TE's such as Gronkowski, Ertz, Kittle, Kelce, Greg Olson, and the like.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yeah but for $10,000,000 against the cap? I like Lae'l been one of his biggest fans but that's too much money IMO.

collins will most likely get restructured and extended. 8.3 mil of his caphit is in a base salary. you can easily knock 4-5mil on his caphit and get him for another 4-5yrs

jay94

Reaction score
Earl Thomas isn't a luxury

This defense is in need of a quality safety..his injury history is a bit of a concern, no question about that..

Make it injury incentive laden. This roster is not going all the way.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
would love to see David Sills or Keesean Johnson in the draft for the slot.

Jarwin looks the part, but i think they want a bigger guy. As SJ has already said TE is a priority in the draft.

When did Rod Smith become a non legit backup RB?

Filo is ok, but with Frederick coming back, and Redmond playing decent i think they draft a guy.

Think Looney def needs to compete with Williams for starting LG

Dalls def needs to draft a T

Lawrence i would field calls in private if teams would give a rd1 and other picks for him. Like him but i think Gregory is going to be the real deal. But i think they pay Lawrence and move on from him in 3 yrs.

I dont understand why u guys continue this big DT thing. Dallas rushed wide, and the rams took advantage because Dallas next strayed from that. Its not like the Rams were manhandling him. they allowed him to go where he was supposed to and the Rams ran to the open spot. Walker you have all22 and its amazing u havent seen that. If Dallas would've loaded the box and allowed the CBs to matchup one on one that 276 wouldnt have happened. DEF coaches were affraid of the presnap movement.

None of the 3 LBers are a SAM. Lee is gone

The questions are conversation starters, not my opinions per se and not statements by me.

SJ sometimes says what he knows fans/media expect to hear. Much like players that say "Gotta give 110%" and other cliches.

Last year he said they need a Safety but it turns out he was really focused on LB and really wanted a WR in free agency/draft/trade.

A DT like Snacks Harrison would not get pushed around regardless of what offensive scheme he faces. On the other hand Suh does not get pushed around easily and he is only in the 310 pound range.

La'el has 1 year remaining on his contract. He is better than most fans/media think, but he is far from elite and he is limited by lack of foot quickness.

They don't have any legit options to play LT if Tyron misses significant time. If Connor Williams played RT he would be more likely to be able to move to LT if needed than La'el.

They need to plan ahead at OT and not wait until Tyron gets injured or La'el leaves after 2019. If Connor Williams moved to OT for training camp, he could always move back to OG; however, if he stays at OG then it would be very difficult for him to move to OT during the season.

With La'el at OG and Williams at RT, it would be easy to move La'el back to RT or Williams back to OG but as previously stated it would be very very difficult to move Williams to OT during the season if he didn't get extensive reps there during training camp.

If I recall correctly, Williams and La'el have similar arm length (I've seen that mentioned as an issue for Williams).

CCBoy

Reaction score
WR - With changes in the 'offensive coordinator,' it may be less of a challenge to smooth the feathers of Beasley. As part of a valid offense, he may have a very good season in Dallas. As it is, his talents probably won't warrant a top receiver status for another team, Dallas walked him through the adjustment to the NFL, and have given him a lot of opportunity...even on a high percentage of 3rd down plays. He, if truth be known, should still have Dallas loyalties.

I want to see how Hurns comes back from his injury and adds a special element to the group. I want to see Beasley, Austin, and Hurns all retained and what Dallas already has paid for and developed...further develop with upcoming changes. There is a lot of talent already in this group.

Cooper and Gallup already present strong talent as a 1 and 2 receiver.

TE - Dallas has 2 of 3 needed tight ends. Schultz and Jarwin should grow into the dependable role. A stronger tight end would help, as well as a Red Zone presence as well. A strong receiver type would be a very useful tool. It would make the offense much less reliant upon the presence of Beasley.

RB - It would pay to get a true relieve for Zeke Elliott. Expanding roles and rotation to a degree that Elliott is always at the top of his play, is relevant. A drafted runner in rounds 3 or 4, might prove worth keeping for the future.

OL - Retain all that are presently on the roster. They are a quality group, and with proven depth. My group would be: Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, and Collins. Backups returning: Fila, Looney, and Fleming. An invested draft pick might be wise.

DL - Sign up Lawrence for a 5 year contract. Draft a defensive tackle with the top pick in the draft. Dumpster dive in free agency, as they usually do. I would not retain Irvin or spend $10 million on Crawford.

S - I so would put on contract, Thomas.

My focus on the draft would be a pair of good defensive tackles, tight end, and a good running back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WR - With changes in the 'offensive coordinator,' it may be less of a challenge to smooth the feathers of Beasley. As part of a valid offense, he may have a very good season in Dallas. As it is, his talents probably won't warrant a top receiver status for another team, Dallas walked him through the adjustment to the NFL, and have given him a lot of opportunity...even on a high percentage of 3rd down plays. He, if truth be known, should still have Dallas loyalties.

I want to see how Hurns comes back from his injury and adds a special element to the group. I want to see Beasley, Austin, and Hurns all retained and what Dallas already has paid for and developed...further develop with upcoming changes. There is a lot of talent already in this group.

Cooper and Gallup already present strong talent as a 1 and 2 receiver.

TE - Dallas has 2 of 3 needed tight ends. Schultz and Jarwin should grow into the dependable role. A stronger tight end would help, as well as a Red Zone presence as well. A strong receiver type would be a very useful tool. It would make the offense much less reliant upon the presence of Beasley.

RB - It would pay to get a true relieve for Zeke Elliott. Expanding roles and rotation to a degree that Elliott is always at the top of his play, is relevant. A drafted runner in rounds 3 or 4, might prove worth keeping for the future.

OL - Retain all that are presently on the roster. They are a quality group, and with proven depth. My group would be: Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, and Collins. Backups returning: Fila, Looney, and Fleming. An invested draft pick might be wise.

DL - Sign up Lawrence for a 5 year contract. Draft a defensive tackle with the top pick in the draft. Dumpster dive in free agency, as they usually do. I would not retain Irvin or spend $10 million on Crawford.

S - I so would put on contract, Thomas.

My focus on the draft would be a pair of good defensive tackles, tight end, and a good running back.

I doubt if Hurns plays in 2019.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tavon Austin isn't a WR. He isn't good at it and he's never affirmed that label. He's only listed as WR because he doesn't like doing RB drills in training camp. He's a returner and a gadget player, of which he's quite good at. You need a real slot WR. You should trade for this Steelers guy named Ryan Switzer, he caught 82% of passes thrown to him this year. I think he's gonna be a real good slot.

Austin definitely is a passing play asset. Defining him as a running back or wide receiver isn't an essential element...receiver covers it.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
WR
If Beasley leaves, who do you want as the slot WR. Tavon Austin, draft pick or other.

TE

RB

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?

Draft another OT? If Tyron misses much time they could be doomed with the current roster.

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?

If Marinelli moves aside for Kris Richard, do they consider a Big-Boy type DT? Seattle had the 330 pound A.Rubin for 2016 and 2017 but most years their DTs were not over 310. They did have a Strong Side DE for a few years that was bigger than the DTs.

LB
Stephen says they want Lee to return; however, his salary is around 7M. Do they get all 3 on the field together?

Safety
Good theead.

Austin isn't durable enough. Would like a gabriel or the like. Maybe Humphries

Jarwin isnt the long term solution, only a receiver.

Rb is a must, they need another top RB like a Kamara, it opens up so much more

Keep collins at RT and move Looney to LG

You are almost forced to pay lawarence as I dont think there is anyone who can play the run and pass rush from the DE - the hole would be too high of a risk

I think you keep lee and get more creeative on blitzes. Cap space is not bad for one more yr with Lee

They wont sign a high priced safety. Its always the achilles heel, but they wont do it

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good theead.

Austin isn't durable enough. Would like a gabriel or the like. Maybe Humphries

Jarwin isnt the long term solution, only a receiver.

Rb is a must, they need another top RB like a Kamara, it opens up so much more

Keep collins at RT and move Looney to LG

You are almost forced to pay lawarence as I dont think there is anyone who can play the run and pass rush from the DE - the hole would be too high of a risk

I think you keep lee and get more creeative on blitzes. Cap space is not bad for one more yr with Lee

They wont sign a high priced safety. Its always the achilles heel, but they wont do it

Once upon a time, Jerry refused to pay a linebacker a salary of $1 million. He believed it was too easy to draft a replacement.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
WR
Draft

TE
No. Draft one

RB
YES draft one

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo?
Yes

Maybe

No he's a BU C and G

Yes

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money?
Yes

Yes they consider. No, they don't consider seriously and Marri does not consider stepping aside

LB
We'll see more of Covington at SAM than Lee at WIL. Negotiate a pay cut

Safety
No

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WR

TE
Is Jarwin good enough at TE? Not sure about Jarwin but Schultz looks promising. They both need more reps.

RB
Do they need a legit backup RB? We need to upgrade the backup RB position.

OLine
Keep Sua-Filo? Keep

Swap La'el and Connor Williams? I liked La'el at guard but not sold with williams being a tackle.

Give Looney a shot at as a starting OG (If Frederick returns OK)? Looney is such a valuable backup at both guard and center.

Draft another OT? If Tyron misses much time they could be doomed with the current roster. Agreed!!

DLine
Is DLaw worth the money? Yes!

If Marinelli moves aside for Kris Richard, do they consider a Big-Boy type DT? Seattle had the 330 pound A.Rubin for 2016 and 2017 but most years their DTs were not over 310. They did have a Strong Side DE for a few years that was bigger than the DTs. Hope so.

LB
Stephen says they want Lee to return; however, his salary is around 7M. Do they get all 3 on the field together? Cut Lee as a last resort if only they spend big in FA and need the extra cash. Having 3 quality players is a good thing.

Safety
Will they consider signing Earl Thomas now? There are several veteran guys coming off 1 year deals we could look at including ET.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
If let bease walk. Gallup, coop, hurns, with the ladder two can play from the slot. I think they keep austen. Wilson they liked before his injury stash and they also like brown. I hope they bring in someone who can return kicks.

I'd also pick up rb, and shift Smith back to fb and ditch the other guy.