Taking a look at Trent Richardson

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i know, I know. I already know what many of you guys are saying. "Are you crazy?!" "Dude is a bust!" "Worst running back ever!"

And before anyone asks, yes I have seen those pics floating around the internet which report to show that Richardson can't see the biggest holes on the field. And to that I say hogwash! A load of bull! Misrepresentation!

Those pictures don't begin to tell the whole story when it comes to this player. They don't tell anyone what the play design was, they don't tell you what kind of freedoms the running back did or didn't have on that particular play, and in most cases, what you saw from the coaches' view was totally different from what those photos actually showed.

In looking at the player, I can't help but see a young man whose NFL career has been mishandled from the second he was drafted. Do we need a refresher course on what the Cleveland franchise has done to its first round picks since they've returned to the league? Just having the misfortune to be exiled there is already a strike against success for any player entering the league.

Many around these parts like to give Darren McFadden a 'mulligan' for a disappointing 7-year career to date. Why? "Oakland" is the one word response. Well, I ask you, is Cleveland at least as good of an excuse for Richardson? I'd say yes.

People can then rightly point to his disappointing run in Indianapolis, providing little return for the 1st round pick the Colts gave up for him. And they can also say "how could he not succeed in an offense with Andrew Luck and that passing attack?" My answer? As in Cleveland, he was a round peg in a square hole. Since entering the league, Richardson has been miscast in a power running attack, while in college at Alabama, he was having all of his success in their zone rushing attack. Does anyone else find it maddening that people are skewering Richardson while placing no blame on teams that repeatedly miscast him? How can you ask a player to do something he's never done and then be upset when he fails to do it?

And please don't mistake these points as an attempt to absolve Richardson of any blame for where his career has turned, he's certainly played a part in things. And these reasons aren't cited to exonerate him for where he is at this point.

But, in reviewing this player, I can't help but be intrigued at the thought of finally pairing a player who was the #3 pick of the 2012 draft and viewed as "the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson" with a quality offensive line running the same type of scheme in which he was so successful in college.

I can't help but wonder if Jason Garrett is contacting his good friend Nick Saban for a personal scouting report on his character and work ethic, much like what was done for another former Alabama player labeled a bust?

And I have to wonder what Gary Brown, Richardson's running back coach for his rookie year in Cleveland thinks about him?

Given this team's question marks that still exist at the running back position, I can't help but be intrigued by the thought of taking a look at Trent Richardson - at no cost - with the possibility of adding what was, not too long ago, a "can't miss" first round prospect.

Feel free to sling your arrows and sharpen your pitchforks!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What baffles me, Stash, is how for months now you have gone out of your way to bash the 3 RBs that Dallas plans to use....then you start a thread on behalf of this guy.

What part of it baffles you? I'm not happy with what we currently have so I'm looking at other options. What baffles you about that?

DFWJC

Reaction score
What part of it baffles you? I'm not happy with what we currently have so I'm looking at other options. What baffles you about that?

Just your player choice...that you would think he could upgrade the team more than maybe 20-30 others that will be out there come Saturday. Or even that he could upgrade us at all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just your player choice...that you would think he could upgrade the team more than maybe 20-30 others that will be out there come Saturday. Or even that he could upgrade us at all.

Over the undrafted, never done anything, Lance Dunbar? Believe me, there's an awful long list of players I think can replace a never-will-be like him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Over the undrafted, never done anything, Lance Dunbar? Believe me, there's an awful long list of players I think can replace a never-will-be like him.

That's fine and that wasn't what I posted about.
My point was that you chose to fly the Trent Richardson flag.

That's all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fine and that wasn't what I posted about.
My point was that you chose to fly the Trent Richardson flag.

That's all.

Oh. Well, speaking for myself, I've always been a fan of reclamation projects, and I think we've actually done pretty well with them.

And, given our needs at RB, and this player's prior history and one-time league status, and his accomplishments in college and the possible connections to this staff, I feel it makes a great deal of sense to take a free look.

That was my thinking on him. But wanting to look at him doesn't mean I'm opposed to looking at someone else either.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Richardson actually would be worse than the ones we have. the guy is done.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score

I am with you on wanting to make sure no stone is unturned to upgrade the running backs, but man, Trent Richardson is just terrible. His vision is mind-numbingly bad and to top it off he physically looks ordinary this year. There is nothing there that would even get him up to Dunbar's level. Kind of a baffling case with that guy because he looked the part at Bama.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am with you on wanting to make sure no stone is unturned to upgrade the running backs, but man, Trent Richardson is just terrible. His vision is mind-numbingly bad and to top it off he physically looks ordinary this year. There is nothing there that would even get him up to Dunbar's level. Kind of a baffling case with that guy because he looked the part at Bama.

Here's a comprehensive overview of the zone blocking scheme and its requirements.

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2009/3/31/815874/zone-blocking-tutorial-inside-zone

If you have the time and are legit interested, compare and contrast what zone running backs are required to do vs power running backs

It might give you a different perspective - however sleight - on what may have greatly contributed to Richardson's struggles to this point.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What baffles me, Stash, is how for months now you have gone out of your way to bash the 3 RBs that Dallas plans to use....then you start a thread on behalf of this guy.

Raises certain questions about intentions for sure.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, it's funny.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Congrats Stash- you successfully:
6fabcbd4e236968b0704509acefb6d56.gif

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Prediction:

Dunbar will out perform Trent in 2015.:omg:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we had any interest in Richardson at all, and I don't think we have any, we'd have taken advantage of the connections the last time he was on the street, no? We definitely had a better opening than they did in OAK. And if his agent were worth his salt at all, he'd have called the Cowboys for all the reasons you mention, stash.
I think this one's a non-starter.