Taking a look at Trent Richardson

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Richardson was much leaner and quicker in college it looks like he's put on 30 pounds since he was drafted. NFLN was showing some highlights of him at Bama he looked like a completely different player then much quicker. He looks thick and sluggish now compared to how he looked in college.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Here's a comprehensive overview of the zone blocking scheme and its requirements.

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2009/3/31/815874/zone-blocking-tutorial-inside-zone

If you have the time and are legit interested, compare and contrast what zone running backs are required to do vs power running backs

It might give you a different perspective - however sleight - on what may have greatly contributed to Richardson's struggles to this point.

I am all sorts of down with good articles! I will give it a read and see if it sways my opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Trent Richardson is a project.

He needs to lose 25 to 30 pounds and i'd give him a shot in a second to play RB.

AS a fat boy RB though he is not good.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
September 18, 2013
Sports Xchange said:
In a stunning move, the Cleveland Browns guaranteed their fans another transition season Wednesday when they traded running back Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts for a 2014 first-round draft pick... According to tweets by longtime Cleveland Browns' reporter Mary Kay Cabot, Richardson's perspective was he "and Weeden don't like each other. ... says Weeden sucks. ... will never win here" Plus she and other sources report that Richardson "HATES" the snow.
October 31, 2013
Jeffri Chadiha said:
Just over a month ago, the sky was supposedly falling in Cleveland... Now the only criticisms that can be heard are coming from Indianapolis, where Richardson remains the disappointing talent the Browns had the good sense to deal. It's not that Richardson is a bad player. It's just that he's not an exceptional one.
December 16, 2014
Gregg Doyel said:
Boom Herron fumbled again on Sunday, his second consecutive game to do that, and that's bad, very bad. Don't do that Boom! You hang onto the ball now, hear?

But Trent Richardson is also bad, very bad, and that's not the kind of thing you write with a smile on your face. Not if you're the same guy who wrote this story before the 2012 NFL Draft, and not if you're painfully aware of what a sweet man Richardson is. He's beloved in the locker room, a good and loyal teammate who is also nice to the media. If that's all that mattered, his demeanor and behavior, then he'd be a fine choice to play and get the ball.

But after he gets the ball, he's just not very good.
September 2, 2015
Ryan Clark said:
I have no reaction, 'cause this should have happened a long time ago," Clark said of Richardson's release during an appearance on First Take (via SportingNews.com). "Trent Richardson is the worst running back of all-time..."

"Of all time," Clark repeated. "There's a freshman that goes to University High in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, named Michael Hollins that I would take on my team right now in the NFL before I got Trent Richardson.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...rb-richardson-brandon-weeden-cleveland-browns
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...trade-rb-trent-richardson-making-indy-problem
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...doyel-colts-management-see-needs-rb/19713027/
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...lark-trent-richardson-is-worst-rb-of-all-time

Aven8

Reaction score
I remember specifically when Trent was at Bama and several posters said he would be better than Lacy and Ingram both. That worked out well!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
i know, I know. I already know what many of you guys are saying. "Are you crazy?!" "Dude is a bust!" "Worst running back ever!"

And before anyone asks, yes I have seen those pics floating around the internet which report to show that Richardson can't see the biggest holes on the field. And to that I say hogwash! A load of bull! Misrepresentation!

Those pictures don't begin to tell the whole story when it comes to this player. They don't tell anyone what the play design was, they don't tell you what kind of freedoms the running back did or didn't have on that particular play, and in most cases, what you saw from the coaches' view was totally different from what those photos actually showed.

In looking at the player, I can't help but see a young man whose NFL career has been mishandled from the second he was drafted. Do we need a refresher course on what the Cleveland franchise has done to its first round picks since they've returned to the league? Just having the misfortune to be exiled there is already a strike against success for any player entering the league.

Many around these parts like to give Darren McFadden a 'mulligan' for a disappointing 7-year career to date. Why? "Oakland" is the one word response. Well, I ask you, is Cleveland at least as good of an excuse for Richardson? I'd say yes.

People can then rightly point to his disappointing run in Indianapolis, providing little return for the 1st round pick the Colts gave up for him. And they can also say "how could he not succeed in an offense with Andrew Luck and that passing attack?" My answer? As in Cleveland, he was a round peg in a square hole. Since entering the league, Richardson has been miscast in a power running attack, while in college at Alabama, he was having all of his success in their zone rushing attack. Does anyone else find it maddening that people are skewering Richardson while placing no blame on teams that repeatedly miscast him? How can you ask a player to do something he's never done and then be upset when he fails to do it?

And please don't mistake these points as an attempt to absolve Richardson of any blame for where his career has turned, he's certainly played a part in things. And these reasons aren't cited to exonerate him for where he is at this point.

But, in reviewing this player, I can't help but be intrigued at the thought of finally pairing a player who was the #3 pick of the 2012 draft and viewed as "the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson" with a quality offensive line running the same type of scheme in which he was so successful in college.

I can't help but wonder if Jason Garrett is contacting his good friend Nick Saban for a personal scouting report on his character and work ethic, much like what was done for another former Alabama player labeled a bust?

And I have to wonder what Gary Brown, Richardson's running back coach for his rookie year in Cleveland thinks about him?

Given this team's question marks that still exist at the running back position, I can't help but be intrigued by the thought of taking a look at Trent Richardson - at no cost - with the possibility of adding what was, not too long ago, a "can't miss" first round prospect.

Feel free to sling your arrows and sharpen your pitchforks!

Et tu Brute?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think that Garrett called Sabin for the low down on Trent and Nick said that Trent did a good job for him at Alabama... but that aliens had abducted Richardson and put a body snatcher in his place. At that point Garrett knew that it was probably better to use Charlotte Anderson Jones as their backup RB than Trent.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Trent Richardson's 2015 stat line

0 carries, 0 yards, 0 TDs
0 recs, 0 yards, 0 TDs

He got $600K guaranteed from Oakland for that production. Not too shabby on his part. I could have given Oakland that kind of production for a lot less.

Maybe Al Davis ain't dead or his son is a chip off the old block.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got $600K guaranteed from Oakland for that production. Not too shabby on his part. I could have given Oakland that kind of production for a lot less.

Maybe Al Davis ain't dead or his son is a chip off the old block.

You've seen that haircut, right?

davis2.jpg