Taking a quick look at TB front 7-best in football vs run

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We are well aware how poor this team's run defense was this season. It should be the biggest priority, outside of resigning their franchise QB.

Tampa Bay runs a 3-4 Base Defense under Todd Bowles

DE-Suh (3 Tech)
NT-Vea (Missed majority of the yr)
DE-Gholston (Very good base run defender)

Hill/Gallimore can play the 3, we heard rumblings McCoy may return as well. Team needs a quality NT and good run defending base DE.

OLB-Pierre-Paul (former down 4-3 lineman with the Giants)
OLB-Barrett (Broke out last season)

Combo of Lawrence/Gregory is comparable against the run.

MLB-Devon White (Elite inside backer)
WLB-L. David (More of the run and hit player)

I think both Lve/Jaylon fit more as that run and hit LB. Team needs a stud MLB.

9darter

Reaction score
We are well aware how poor this team's run defense was this season. It should be the biggest priority, outside of resigning their franchise QB.

DE-Suh (3 Tech)

Hill/Gallimore can play the 3, we heard rumblings McCoy may return as well. Team needs a quality NT and good run defending base DE.

"We like our guys"
"We good"
Etc.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

DE-Suh (3 Tech)

Just me but something tells me Nolan is out and if/when that happens .......are we replacing him with 3-4 ( system MM had with Packs or 4-3?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
You know when Gallimore was getting drafted he was discussed as a 1T with some disruptive potential.

Stop trying to make him into a 3T. If you want one then go draft one and then let Gallimore be a 1T with above average upfield ability like he's supposed to be.

I feel like we're all so desperate for good DT play that we're just getting silly now, personally. Go get a disruptive 3T to pair with Hill and a super fat, not disruptive 1T guy to rotate with Gallimore on run downs. It won't be perfect, but it'll be better than it has been in years probably, and it's a step in the right direction for the future.

tm1119

Reaction score
If we are content with Hill/Gallimore/McCoy at D next year we might as well start talking about the 2022 top 10 pick as well...stop with this non-sense. What’s next? We don’t need a S, we’ll just keep Woods? Who needs D line at all because we also have Aldon Smith, Randy Gregory, and Woods?

Some of you are so brainwashed that you have no clue what a football team acquiring actual talent is.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

DE-Suh (3 Tech)

We have no player close to their LB’s or Suh. Did I mention their DB’s come up and want to lay wood. Most of Ours run away from contact.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding what the point of this is. Their defense is average.

And they don't really run a traditional 3-4, because they're not two-gapping.

Arians - "Three-4, 4-3, some call it 'over' and 'under.' We call it different [things] – they still line up the same. [We're] not a two-gap team. We're going to attack. As long as our players attack – in today's NFL, you're in nickel defense 70 percent of the time, so you're playing a four-man line. We'll have odd-man lines, we'll have four-man lines. That's just schematics to me."
https://www.buccaneers.com/news/4-3-3-4-both-bucs-new-defense-will-be-versatile

Besides that, if the defense is good without Vea, then there's really no point in adding a big DT...

Majic

Reaction score
It's what you get with a great coach like Todd Bowles (who we interviewed for HC but Jerry gave it to Wade). Also illustrates with time and good coaching players can get used to new system or one which they are not traditionally used to (J P-P)

quickccc

Reaction score

DE-Suh (3 Tech)

- But do we have to change to a 3-4 scheme in order to have a good run defense front ?
What about having a good run defense like the Saints who run a 4-3 ? (I wanted us to sign DT Malcolm Brown as a FA but …)

- I see the Colts having one of the better run defense as a 4-3 scheme stat wise, even though Derrick Henry ran amok on that defense.
But how has Eberflus' run scheme handled other opponents run games ?

- BTW, Our DT personnel is probably the worst among NFL - no one we have there stops the run
- Gallimore still struggles vs run, he still has quite a ways to go, like all of our DTs, he gets wipe-washed vs run -
and I don't understand why we're lining him up as a 1 tech, while Woods is at the usual 3 tech.
Couldn't wait to get useless Crawford off this roster. Retirement at hand ? 9 million dollar waste !

- Hill isn't a good run defender at this point either. especially not to be a 2 gapper. Still think he's more suited to a 3 tech one gapper where he can use his penetration skills than holding up
vs double teams and controlling 2 gaps lanes.
I'm letting those two youngies battle it out for the 3 tech, while we finally (somehow) get a top quality bulking 1 tech. - i don't expect McCoy to stay healthy and he's a backup.

- DLaw as a 3-4 OLB ?, maybe in due time under a Wade Phillip, if Greg Ellis eventually adapted to 3-4 ... but change could take some time that management doesn't want
to tamper with in this Win Now mode.
Play him to what he does best, most comfortable with his hand down, 3 point stance.
He'd worked better with a better DL coach that uses him on stunts/twists
and Jason Tuck him vs OGs.

- And we don't have anything resembling a sturdy NT. We haven't even had a functional NT since ...Ratliff ? and even he wasn't a true NT.

- whether 4-3, 3-4, 5-2... Jaylon is not instinctive enough, agile enough or take on physical enough in traffic, to be a difference maker at LB, ..so long as he has to start for us

- I haven't got a fix on LVE best fit and role, Middle LB or OLB, or his long term since we hasn't play at a high level since rookie, and it's enuff that he seems injury prone.
Lee is cooked and should be career finished, but cerebrally, emotionally and verbally, he's clearly the on field leader this team really needs.

- do we need that extra man in the box ? That strongside OLB, as what Jack Del Rio still likes to use in his 4-3. o_O

Dre11

Reaction score
go get 1 day free agent or trade at any of the 3 levels, then get 2 mid level free agency for the other 2 levels. Use your draft on defense 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round

calicowboy54

Reaction score

DE-Suh (3 Tech)

Id be ok with trading a 2 or a 3rd for Vita Vea this off season.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

DE-Suh (3 Tech)

I get the impression the Cowboys want to be a high scoring big play team on offense with a big play defense that forces turnovers and get off the field on third downs. The Cowboys don’t really want a shut down the offense defense. They want pick sixes, sack fumbles, and big hits. They want an exciting football team on offense and defense. Saying that I believe they draft one of three players with the first pick at 10 Parsons, Farley, or the surprise pick Collins. The reason why I go with two linebackers because this defense is lacking big play linebackers. Parsons and Collins have that ability. Farley is just below Ramsey in athletic ability. Just my two cents.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just me but something tells me Nolan is out and if/when that happens .......are we replacing him with 3-4 ( system MM had with Packs or 4-3?
No matter who is the DC, I think they will have a 4 man line with 3-4 concepts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You know when Gallimore was getting drafted he was discussed as a 1T with some disruptive potential.

Stop trying to make him into a 3T. If you want one then go draft one and then let Gallimore be a 1T with above average upfield ability like he's supposed to be.

I feel like we're all so desperate for good DT play that we're just getting silly now, personally. Go get a disruptive 3T to pair with Hill and a super fat, not disruptive 1T guy to rotate with Gallimore on run downs. It won't be perfect, but it'll be better than it has been in years probably, and it's a step in the right direction for the future.
The coaching staff did say they viewed Gallimore as a 3 Tech after he was drafted.