Taking a quick look at TB front 7-best in football vs run

Majic

Reaction score
To be very clear here Lawrence sucked without his hand in the dirt. He admitted it and they abandoned it early. But we are still going to turn our most expensive defender into a 3-4 OLB? Jeez Louise.

No he did not suck, No he did not admit it and no they have not abandoned it. What D-Law said was that he was willing to incorporate both elements into his game and become a better player (and that appears to have happened this season). He uses the 2 point stance mainly for a better angle of the play something Nolan taught him. Credit to both Nolan and D Law for introducing this and for him adding it to his game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I get the impression the Cowboys want to be a high scoring big play team on offense with a big play defense that forces turnovers and get off the field on third downs. The Cowboys don’t really want a shut down the offense defense. They want pick sixes, sack fumbles, and big hits. They want an exciting football team on offense and defense. Saying that I believe they draft one of three players with the first pick at 10 Parsons, Farley, or the surprise pick Collins. The reason why I go with two linebackers because this defense is lacking big play linebackers. Parsons and Collins have that ability. Farley is just below Ramsey in athletic ability. Just my two cents.
no way jones boys use rd 1 pick on a LB . just my 3 cents !:D

Whyjerry

Reaction score
No he did not suck, No he did not admit it and no they have not abandoned it. What D-Law said was that he was willing to incorporate both elements into his game and become a better player (and that appears to have happened this season). He uses the 2 point stance mainly for a better angle of the play something Nolan taught him. Credit to both Nolan and D Law for introducing this and for him adding it to his game.
The defense was historically bad. Lawrence is not a 3-4 OLB. Pull your head out of Jerry’s keister and get some air.

Majic

Reaction score
The defense was historically bad. Lawrence is not a 3-4 OLB. Pull your head out of Jerry’s keister and get some air.

Lawrence played in a 4 man line. He only plays 60% of the snaps. There are other looks when he is not on the field

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think he can play the 3 but maybe he should play the 1 and only doesn't because we don't have better options at 3.
McCoy was suppose to see the starting reps at the 3, where the likes of Hill/Gallimore we going to compete to become rotational players. The front office thought they were covered at the 1 with Poe/Woods at the position. Who knows which position Gallimore settles into, at this stage, he is just a interior prospect that should see limited snaps during his development.

quickccc

Reaction score
No matter who is the DC, I think they will have a 4 man line with 3-4 concepts.

Or a 5-2 front and look concept....pending upon what HC McCarthy permits the new DC to do.

-If we go to a 34 base we'll have to do a lot more drafting street bargaining and trading that we have to do now.

-Too much of the current personnel has been invested in the shape of a 4.man front with
Dlaw hill and gallimore.

-That would take more time.and adjustment
And I wouldn't think that's what the team would want to do in a win now mode.

quickccc

Reaction score
McCoy was suppose to see the starting reps at the 3, where the likes of Hill/Gallimore we going to compete to become rotational players. The front office thought they were covered at the 1 with Poe/Woods at the position. Who knows which position Gallimore settles into, at this stage, he is just a interior prospect that should see limited snaps during his development.

-With Gallimore it depends upon the new coaches we'd bring in on defensive side.
(ditto with trysten hill)... seems like tomsula wants gally to fill the 1 tech role more than developing him as a 3 tech.

- from what I understand Gallimore has played some 1 tech at the college level but it's a totally different animal at the NFL level and hes not the ideal prototype and physical makeup for that role.

-McCoy came here as damaged goods as there was already a clause in his contract with regards to his condition of his quad which he injured in just his second day of camp

-I wouldn't count on McCoy at all and hes gonna be another step to being 32 years old so he may fit a rotational role best anyway . But that's a lot of money for a limited vet role guy..but hell we just wasted money on a limited vet DT so maybe this team doesn't give a damn about that

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We are well aware how poor this team's run defense was this season. It should be the biggest priority, outside of resigning their franchise QB.

Tampa Bay runs a 3-4 Base Defense under Todd Bowles

DE-Suh (3 Tech)
NT-Vea (Missed majority of the yr)
DE-Gholston (Very good base run defender)

Hill/Gallimore can play the 3, we heard rumblings McCoy may return as well. Team needs a quality NT and good run defending base DE.

OLB-Pierre-Paul (former down 4-3 lineman with the Giants)
OLB-Barrett (Broke out last season)

Combo of Lawrence/Gregory is comparable against the run.

MLB-Devon White (Elite inside backer)
WLB-L. David (More of the run and hit player)

I think both Lve/Jaylon fit more as that run and hit LB. Team needs a stud MLB.

One of your outside linebackers needs to be able to cover in order for a 3-4 to work. Ideally you want both to be able to cover and rush the passer.

Gregory and Lawrence cannot cover. We don't have the 6-ft 6-in defensive end. We don't have the nose tackle. the off the ball linebackers are pretty interchangeable however we need those as well.

4-3 over or 4-3 under as a base with competent linebacker and defensive tackle play can't stop the run and rush the passer.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We are well aware how poor this team's run defense was this season. It should be the biggest priority, outside of resigning their franchise QB.

DE-Suh (3 Tech)
NT-Vea (Missed majority of the yr)
DE-Gholston (Very good base run defender)

Hill/Gallimore can play the 3, we heard rumblings McCoy may return as well. Team needs a quality NT and good run defending base DE.

OLB-Pierre-Paul (former down 4-3 lineman with the Giants)
OLB-Barrett (Broke out last season)

MLB-Devon White (Elite inside backer)
WLB-L. David (More of the run and hit player)

I think both Lve/Jaylon fit more as that run and hit LB. Team needs a stud MLB.

Hill hasnt proven he can do anything. Gallimore flashed some upside, thats it. This team needs a pro bowl caliber DT then Gallimore is passable. Need a stud MLBer to replace Jaylon and LVE needs to get healthy or he needs to be replaced with a stud as well. Then throw in a good safety to team with Wilson.

Need two more pro bowl types at linebacker and DT.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
One of your outside linebackers needs to be able to cover in order for a 3-4 to work. Ideally you want both to be able to cover and rush the passer.

Gregory and Lawrence cannot cover. We don't have the 6-ft 6-in defensive end. We don't have the nose tackle. the off the ball linebackers are pretty interchangeable however we need those as well.

4-3 over or 4-3 under as a base with competent linebacker and defensive tackle play can't stop the run and rush the passer.

I wasn't looking so much as Tampa's 3-4 scheme, but rather the type or personnel they had.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-With Gallimore it depends upon the new coaches we'd bring in on defensive side.
(ditto with trysten hill)... seems like tomsula wants gally to fill the 1 tech role more than developing him as a 3 tech.

- from what I understand Gallimore has played some 1 tech at the college level but it's a totally different animal at the NFL level and hes not the ideal prototype and physical makeup for that role.

-McCoy came here as damaged goods as there was already a clause in his contract with regards to his condition of his quad which he injured in just his second day of camp

-I wouldn't count on McCoy at all and hes gonna be another step to being 32 years old so he may fit a rotational role best anyway . But that's a lot of money for a limited vet role guy..but hell we just wasted money on a limited vet DT so maybe this team doesn't give a damn about that

-Yes, Gallimore did play the 1 Tech in college, but I remember after he was drafted MM state they view him as a future 3 Tech. Could be mistaken, but that's what I remember. Let's see if he could put on the added weight/strength in the off-season.

-Perfect world the team signs a veteran starter to allow the prospects to continue their development and get experience as rotational players. More likely, we see another low level signing as a short-term fix. Hill is entering year 3, either he makes the next step or we will be looking for his replacement.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Or a 5-2 front and look concept....pending upon what HC McCarthy permits the new DC to do.

-If we go to a 34 base we'll have to do a lot more drafting street bargaining and trading that we have to do now.

-Too much of the current personnel has been invested in the shape of a 4.man front with
Dlaw hill and gallimore.

-That would take more time.and adjustment
And I wouldn't think that's what the team would want to do in a win now mode.

Really believe MM is more comfortable with a 3-4 alignment, but he continued to say we are a 4 man front. What I take out of that statement is, the DE's can lineup with the hand in the dirt or as stand-up rushers. Nolan wanted to run a 5-2, two gap system. you have your 3 down lineman (like a traditional 3-4), and your two DE's no matter if they are down or up. In the nickel, the NT comes off the field and is replaced by the slot CB. I believe a similar scheme is going to be implemented here, either from Nolan or a DC with a similar background.

DLAW, Gregory are your Edges in the 5-2.
3 Tech
NT
5 Tech

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hill hasnt proven he can do anything. Gallimore flashed some upside, thats it. This team needs a pro bowl caliber DT then Gallimore is passable. Need a stud MLBer to replace Jaylon and LVE needs to get healthy or he needs to be replaced with a stud as well. Then throw in a good safety to team with Wilson.

Need two more pro bowl types at linebacker and DT.

To fix this defense, they are going to have to use all resources, draft and fa:

-I would sign a veteran starting FS/NT and draft their future replacements. These positions take time to develop.
-Draft a starting caliber linebacker this year. Give him a season of development as a rotational type player to replace Jaylon in 2022. Repeat the process the following year, if team is determined Lve isn't the long-term answer at the position.
-This is a big season for Hill as he is entering his critical third year, either he takes the next step or the team replaces him in another season. Not sure they will draft another 3 Tech, unless a top prospect falls into their laps.
-With all this said, team needs to add 1-2 quality corners as Awuzie/Lewis may not be back. Since Brown is here, I would rather draft two prospects.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To fix this defense, they are going to have to use all resources, draft and fa:

-I would sign a veteran starting FS/NT and draft their future replacements. These positions take time to develop.
-Draft a starting caliber linebacker this year. Give him a season of development as a rotational type player to replace Jaylon in 2022. Repeat the process the following year, if team is determined Lve isn't the long-term answer at the position.
-This is a big season for Hill as he is entering his critical third year, either he takes the next step or the team replaces him in another season. Not sure they will draft another 3 Tech, unless a top prospect falls into their laps.
-With all this said, team needs to add 1-2 quality corners as Awuzie/Lewis may not be back. Since Brown is here, I would rather draft two prospects.

If your hoping for a one season fix, its just not going to happen. Not possible. Almost the entire defense needed to be overhauled starting last year. And with the covid, the salary cap is going down, so you can forget about much in FA. The most we can hope for is two more starters from the draft the way I see it.

Once we sign Dak long term, and we get out from under Zeke and Jaylon and possibly Cooper will we be able to make bigger splashes in FA.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If your hoping for a one season fix, its just not going to happen. Not possible. Almost the entire defense needed to be overhauled starting last year. And with the covid, the salary cap is going down, so you can forget about much in FA. The most we can hope for is two more starters from the draft the way I see it.

Once we sign Dak long term, and we get out from under Zeke and Jaylon and possibly Cooper will we be able to make bigger splashes in FA.

Not saying we need tier 1 fa starters at FS/NT but players who can stabilize the positions. I agree, the rebuilding job is going to take a few seasons if they do it right and have some luck. Keep in mind, we don't have to become a great defense right away, if our defense improves to the middle of the pack, that could be enough to greatly improve this team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not saying we need tier 1 fa starters at FS/NT but players who can stabilize the positions. I agree, the rebuilding job is going to take a few seasons if they do it right and have some luck. Keep in mind, we don't have to become a great defense right away, if our defense improves to the middle of the pack, that could be enough to greatly improve this team.

I have been saying that all season. With Dak and the offense as good as they are, we just need an average defense and a few turnovers and we are a contender. Then after another year we get out from under Zeke, Jaylon and possibly Cooper. 2022 should be when its all coming together if they do things right.

No more bad contracts, scheme, young defenders drafted, FA money to fill any remaining holes, ect.......ect........

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have been saying that all season. With Dak and the offense as good as they are, we just need an average defense and a few turnovers and we are a contender. Then after another year we get out from under Zeke, Jaylon and possibly Cooper. 2022 should be when its all coming together if they do things right.

No more bad contracts, scheme, young defenders drafted, FA money to fill any remaining holes, ect.......ect........

They be have the ability to clear out a lot of room after next season. With so many picks this year, it's important to find quality players that they can control at low levels. This will help balance out the cap situation.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

DE-Suh (3 Tech) --- Gallimore/Hill but they aren't in Suh's universe against the run.
NT-Vea (Missed majority of the yr) --- NONE but can resign AWdoos to be part of a rotation here.
DE-Gholston (Very good base run defender) -- DLAW

OLB-Pierre-Paul (former down 4-3 lineman with the Giants) --GREGORY
OLB-Barrett (Broke out last season) ---No One but we could use JAYLON here.

MLB-Devon White (Elite inside backer) --LVE but NOONE healthy.
WLB-L. David (More of the run and hit player) -- Donovan Wilson