Talk about overvaluing your own

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes. It's a disservice to everyone if he's out at RDE. Player, team, fans.

Good chance you get your wish and Crawford is gone. Big downsides to him, and new coaches may be less interested in tweeners. Just brought in two older DTs. Need some youth.

Dumping Wise for no particular reason seems to indicate that tweeners are on the way out too. I don't know why else we cut him in March. It was an uncharacteristic move for us. One thing I like is that they don't throw hissy fits about players. They've kept rights when we've had them, even rights that were very unlikely to pan out. You don't get rich by throwing away nickels.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good chance you get your wish and Crawford is gone. Big downsides to him, and new coaches may be less interested in tweeners. Just brought in two older DTs. Need some youth.

Dumping Wise for no particular reason seems to indicate that tweeners are on the way out too. I don't know why else we cut him in March. It was an uncharacteristic move for us. One thing I like is that they don't throw hissy fits about players. They've kept rights when we've had them, even rights that were very unlikely to pan out. You don't get rich by throwing away nickels.

Until something is done, it's not done.

The team had every reason and every indication to cut him last year, and they chose not to.

And we know how that worked out, don't we?

My only hope isn't that there is an injury issue preventing them from doing anything right now.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I think we are going to miss Travis Frederick more than we hope.
Joe Looney is a good backup and may be ok as a starter, but Frederick not only was good at reading defensive lineups but he also made the guards better (not like Martin needed it but you know what I mean)

Is there someone like him in the draft, or is it our plan to just see how it goes with who we have?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Until something is done, it's not done.

The team had every reason and every indication to cut him last year, and they chose not to.

And we know how that worked out, don't we?

My only hope isn't that there is an injury issue preventing them from doing anything right now.

I wondered if there was something with his injury that would have required an injury settlement.

Chronic hip issue should have meant cya, even if they liked him healthy. *Way* too much money on a chronic and unresolved health issue if we *could* have cut him w/o consequence.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wondered if there was something with his injury that would have required an injury settlement.

Chronic hip issue should have meant cya, even if they liked him healthy. *Way* too much money on a chronic and unresolved health issue if we *could* have cut him w/o consequence.

Like I said, the guy couldn't go all last offseason, because of this SAME issue. Once he could pass a physical last year, they could have and should have moved on. Just like the Panthers just did with Cam Newton. Wait until the player is healthy, then get out of the bad contract.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
i don't get it.
i liked Heath...Clinton-Dix is CLEARLY better.
i liked Collins...Gerald McCoy is CLEARLY better.
and Dontari Poe....miles better of A Woods.
we've gotten better in the middle...not worse.
we address DE,CB in the draft...there's a chance we're better.
as for WR...take advantage of the depth of the class or use Devin Smith as the slot receiver.
Yes, good teams develop their depth into starting roles eventually.
As Cowboy fans we are brainwashed into believing that only top draft picks and house hold named FAs can ever fill the voids.
Good coaching and a deep roster can turn unknown roster fillers into day one starters.
MM decided to bring his staff here for a reason,, I believe that.
This team needs a solid draft, but I believe there is some un tapped talent on this current roster, esp DL,, call me a fool,, but Red and M had absolutely
no talent evaluation skill, as far as implementation.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think we are going to miss Travis Frederick more than we hope.
Joe Looney is a good backup and may be ok as a starter, but Frederick not only was good at reading defensive lineups but he also made the guards better (not like Martin needed it but you know what I mean)

Is there someone like him in the draft, or is it our plan to just see how it goes with who we have?
Cowboys faithful praying we have that covered,,, but basically, truthfully, there is no easy way to replace a pro bowl caliber player at any position, and Center is never an easy fix.
Either hope that we have the depth to cover that loss, or we better use a high draft pick there,, crossing your fingers rarely has been successful.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
i don't get it.
i liked Heath...Clinton-Dix is CLEARLY better.
i liked Collins...Gerald McCoy is CLEARLY better.
and Dontari Poe....miles better of A Woods.
we've gotten better in the middle...not worse.
we address DE,CB in the draft...there's a chance we're better.
as for WR...take advantage of the depth of the class or use Devin Smith as the slot receiver.

If only McCoy was clearly better than Collins, and Poe miles better than Woods. That would be nice, but it isn't true.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Listening to the Break. These guys are out of their minds. They think Haha is a wash for Jeff Heath. LMAO. They also think Collins/Woods are about equal to McCoy/Poe.

they all believe this team is worse than it was a year ago.
they are not far off. we are not that much better. we lost quinn and Jones. you can't tell me the clowns that are at RDE, the most critical position on a 4-2 defense are anywhere close to Bennett or Quinn. and replacing Jones with Brown!! come on.

and dix accepted a one year prove it to me deal. he may be slightly better than Heath

and I am not sold on Poe and McCoy. both older and have had their best days behind them. last year our defense ranked 10th. Carolina ranked 23rd and they ranked 29th against the rush. that just doesn't speak well for those two DTs. they are names, names from the past, cashing in on their reputation.

I would wait and see results on the field before I judge that we are better.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
McCoy > Collins - maybe not long-term but right now

Poe > Woods

Clinton-Dix >>>>>>> Heath

The biggest issue right now is that drop off at CB1 between Byron Jones and Anthony Brown/Maurice Canady is more significant than any of those upgrades. Chido is a decent #2 and Lewis is a good slot/nickel, but if Anthony Brown is asked to shut down #1's on the outside, we are in big, big trouble.
what about jones and quinn….

Whomever at RDE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< QUninn
Brown <<<<<< Jones

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Listening to the Break. These guys are out of their minds. They think Haha is a wash for Jeff Heath. LMAO. They also think Collins/Woods are about equal to McCoy/Poe.

Sometimes you gotta wonder if the old staff listened to these guys...and took their word on players. I've thought they have always been bad evaluators. Maybe they had a hand in getting the old staff canned as well. :rolleyes:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The way I see it

-HaHa is largely a push over Heath. He's better, but not enough to make a real difference.

-McCoy is a better run defender than Collins and a slightly worse pass rusher. He's a net upgrade, but he's also 32 years old and more expensive. Wish we could have kept Maliek.

-Poe is better than Antwaun Woods, or at least no worse because Woods looked like a scrub for most of 2019. I think a 30 yo 340 pound lineman with chronic back issues is clearly on borrowed time, but he's not bad for a 1 year stopgap.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's possible that Heath is better than HaHa. It will be impossible to compare because Heath was best at FS but he played SS in 2019. If X.Woods can play SS then they should have flipped them because Heath at FS >>>> Heath at SS.

Obviously at their peak, Poe and McCoy were much better, but their peaks were a few years in the past.

Poe is coming off of an injury and has been up/down the last few years due in part to fluctuating weight.

Collins has very good physical ability but the combination of injuries and Marinelli's nonsensical scheme were significant limitations for him. The scheme made him appear to be a problem in run defense but All-22 review most often shows him out of place against the run, not getting beating physically. McCoy is an older player which makes it difficult to predict his performance.

They get both Woods and Poe at 1tech which makes it a non-issue to compare them. In fact one of the best things about the Poe signing is that it allows both Poe and Woods to play limited snaps because both have had recurring injury issues.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What's your thinking behind this comment?
:huh:

Collins has been a better pass rusher than McCoy, while a worse worse run defender.

2018 Woods has been better than Poe both of the last two years, while 2019 he was worse than Poe while fighting through injury.

Poe brings name value, but he is wildly overrated here for some reason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins has been a better pass rusher than McCoy, while a worse worse run defender.

You're definitely right about the worse run defender, but stats show that McCoy has also been the better pass rusher. He is a clear upgrade and it's not close.

2018 Woods has been better than Poe both of the last two years, while 2019 he was worse than Poe while fighting through injury.

Poe brings name value, but he is wildly overrated here for some reason.

OK, you're completely off the mark here. But thanks for taking the time to explain just the same.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You're definitely right about the worse run defender, but stats show that McCoy has also been the better pass rusher. He is a clear upgrade and it's not close.

OK, you're completely off the mark here. But thanks for taking the time to explain just the same.

Yeah stats don't show McCoy has been better at all. Saying it's a clear upgrade shows ignorance. Also one is clearly on a downward trajectory, while the other is isn't.

I know you're a "sacks are the only stat I look at" guy but as a reminder

Yeah, you have nothing to back anything you say up. Just "yeah, you're wrong I'm right".

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah stats don't show McCoy has been better at all. Saying it's a clear upgrade shows ignorance.

I know you're a "sacks are the only stat I look at" guy but as a reminder

Yeah, you have nothing to back anything you say up. Just "yeah, you're wrong I'm right".

You want to turn things 'nasty'? Sure, we can go that route too.

And you have 'nerd speak'.

I'll stick with the stats that support everything I'm saying. Never in his life has Maliek Collins ever been better at anything than Gerald McCoy. Not ever, including last year. But you somehow want to take what stats guys say about different subject matter and factor it for McCoy. That's your failure, not anyone else's.

But thanks for posting a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with comparing the two players.