Recap: Talkin Cowboys 11/19

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I can't imagine we'd expose Coleman on waivers. I'd expose one of the OTs, or release one of the older, more expensive veteran DLs who offer similar production and little upside. Or Hamilton, if I weren't short on DBs right now.

Yes, it would be silly when we have an abundance of OTs right now.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
At the risk of committing blasphemy, I would point out Mark Tuinie was a part of some very bad Cowboys lines and was not considered a very good player until the talent around him was solidified. Doug Free could be in the same boat.

So was Nate Newton.

Actually, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Mark Stepnoski, and Kevin Gogan were all part of the 1 win 1989 Dallas Cowboys that were the laughing stock of the league.

Nate came to the Cowboys in 1986 and was part of a few very bad teams. People made jokes about him being fat for years. Then, suddenly the talent around him rose and Newton went to the pro bowl in 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 and 1998 with the '94 and '95 seasons being All-Pro.

Stepnoski was drafted in Johnson's first year in 1989. He didn't do much to help until the talent around him matched his own. Then, he went to the pro bowl in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996.

Kevin Gogan arrived in Dallas in 1987. Like Newton, he was part of some very bad Cowboy teams that were made fun of for years. Once the team improved he went to three pro bowls in 1993, 1997, and 1998 and was listed as second team All-Pro one year.

Mark Tuinei came to Dallas as a defensive tackle in 1983. He was there through the bad ending of the Landry regime and the very bad beginning of the Jimmy Johnson staff. Was looked at as not that good until, like the other's on this list, the team arrived in prime time. He was a pro bowler in 1994 and 1995.

It isn't really uncommon for guys to be completely overlooked until the team gets truly good, and then everyone starts noticing they're doing a damn good job.

I'm sure Free has improved and that having a dominant OL around him helps... but the guy isn't a bad player at all. He's smart, consistent, works hard, and is the leader of what is the best OL in football.

dfense

Reaction score
At the risk of committing blasphemy, I would point out Mark Tuinie was a part of some very bad Cowboys lines and was not considered a very good player until the talent around him was solidified. Doug Free could be in the same boat.
Famous Nate Newton quote: Mark Tuinie was so tough, he wiped his butt with a pineapple.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

tuinie was also a DL and the Cowboys turned him into a OL

skinsscalper

Reaction score
They said the team doesnt want him to wear out his arm durng the week.Dont know if i buy that tho.

I'm not sure that I buy the arm part, but I'm certain that they want to limit the pitch count on his core (which he uses to throw).

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I know Tony started off slow but I swear he has more zip on the ball and better deep throws this year compared to the last couple. Is this something I am imagining?

Dunno, just something that popped up on the eye test without really looking at it.

waving monkey

Reaction score
For me Nelli brings a special fire and flare that I dont know that Eberflus has.
I dont haven't heard of many with Nellie's particular set of cultness traits.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sir, I was a fan of Mark Tuinei. Sir, Doug Free is no Mark Tuinei.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Anyone know what "tree" Eberflus comes from in his defensive approach? I am not certain but wasnt he here before the tampa 2 guys came? So would his approach be to have a different defense, maybe not back to a 3-4 but different needs in what guys he would want to keep and draft?

He's from the Belichick Tree. He learned to play football at Toledo. His head coach was Nick Saban, who is a disciple of Bill Belichick. He has had influences over the years and he is really bright guy, from all accounts. I'm sure that he has expanded on what he's learned over the years but that's where the roots started.

If you want to take it a step further, you can say that Belichick is a disciple of Bill Parcells, who is Disciple of Ray Perkins. Parcells also learned a lot of football from Howard Schnellenberger and Ron Erhardt, who is a disciple of Chuck Fairbanks.

Take your pick I guess.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So was Nate Newton.

Actually, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Mark Stepnoski, and Kevin Gogan were all part of the 1 win 1989 Dallas Cowboys that were the laughing stock of the league.

Nate came to the Cowboys in 1986 and was part of a few very bad teams. People made jokes about him being fat for years. Then, suddenly the talent around him rose and Newton went to the pro bowl in 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 and 1998 with the '94 and '95 seasons being All-Pro.

Stepnoski was drafted in Johnson's first year in 1989. He didn't do much to help until the talent around him matched his own. Then, he went to the pro bowl in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996.

Kevin Gogan arrived in Dallas in 1987. Like Newton, he was part of some very bad Cowboy teams that were made fun of for years. Once the team improved he went to three pro bowls in 1993, 1997, and 1998 and was listed as second team All-Pro one year.

Mark Tuinei came to Dallas as a defensive tackle in 1983. He was there through the bad ending of the Landry regime and the very bad beginning of the Jimmy Johnson staff. Was looked at as not that good until, like the other's on this list, the team arrived in prime time. He was a pro bowler in 1994 and 1995.

It isn't really uncommon for guys to be completely overlooked until the team gets truly good, and then everyone starts noticing they're doing a damn good job.

I'm sure Free has improved and that having a dominant OL around him helps... but the guy isn't a bad player at all. He's smart, consistent, works hard, and is the leader of what is the best OL in football.

IIRC Nate Newton in his early years was actually given the nickname "The Kitchen", because he was bigger than William Perry, The Refrigerator....
And agree, those OL were considered a rag tag type OL until they started to win games.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's from the Belichick Tree. He learned to play football at Toledo. His head coach was Nick Saban, who is a disciple of Bill Belichick. He has had influences over the years and he is really bright guy, from all accounts. I'm sure that he has expanded on what he's learned over the years but that's where the roots started.

That's interesting to note, considering I'd only really followed him since he came here under Ryan and from all accounts was a Rob Ryan guy, at least until last year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
IIRC Nate Newton in his early years was actually given the nickname "The Kitchen", because he was bigger than William Perry, The Refrigerator....
And agree, those OL were considered a rag tag type OL until they started to win games.

Yep, the kitchen, lol.