Recap: Talkin Cowboys 2.12

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Steve Loney has a connection with Linehan from their time with the vikings.

Cowboys want Marc Colombo to be a coach in training, for a posistion down the line.

Colombo played a big part in Demarcus Lawrence rehab. Going one on one with Lawrence instead of just having a coach lineup and battle with Lawrence. Just so he got a taste of what it was like to be going up against a NFL OT.

You want to give Randle the benefit of the doubt, but when you hear some of the stuff from that 911 call, you kinda think hes running out of benefits.

Looking at FA and the draft, if Dallas goes a different route from Murray and Randle they will be ok. Alot of guys who can come in and fill the role.

Signing Murray would limit on their own guys they would be able to sign. Sure they wont have the same impact as Murray, but they are still important parts and you wont be able to sign some of these guys.

Dallas needs Dez to sign the long term. If he gets the tag that 13mil guranteed to him would def limit on what they can do.

3 RBs in the NFL are in the top 100 most lucrative contracs on avg salary per yr(AP, Shady, Forte) and with all 3 their teams are either trying to figure out what they want to do, or already trying to restructure. RB value is not there in terms of money.

Starting monday you have a 2 week period where teams can franchise players.

Mark Ingram, what am i getting by signing him? In his 4 yrs starts in the NFL by yr 4,5,3,9

Key option would be Gurley and how the medical will check out.

This medical staff knows who Gurley is, talking with them somebody has them paying close attention to Gurley's rehab.

Miami Hurricanes run that zone blocking scheme dallas does. Duke Johnson is a intriguing guy.

Give Eberflus alot of credit for what he did with the LBer core this yr. There were times that he didnt know which LBers he would have for the game until they ran out on the field.

Ingram only has 400 more yrds in his career then what Murray had in 2014

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think murray is resigned but Gurley [if checks out] is smart business.

The problem with that thinking is in no way Gurley a sure thing to be available at 27 whether he is healthy or not. More likely to be available at 27 if he is not going to be ready Week 1, but not sure that makes sense for a team with immediate Super Bowl aspirations.

Cowboys are in a tough spot. You

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 RBs in the NFL are in the top 100 most lucrative contracs on avg salary per yr(AP, Shady, Forte) and with all 3 their teams are either trying to figure out what they want to do, or already trying to restructure. RB value is not there in terms of money.

This stands out the most to me. The running back market is coming down, not up. It makes for tricky negotiations with Murray or anyone else. A player will obviously be looking to maximize their earning potential, but the entire league is de-valuing the running back position.

Both Murray and the Cowboys need to realize that. And that's why I think the Vikings will ultimately release Adrian Peterson. For as large as the 'Big Three' contracts are, his is so much more glaring and out of line with the market. So much so that I can't see the Vikings continuing to go down that road.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think we take a rb early and sign MURRAY. I get it limits resigning our own guys but besides 4-5 of them I'm not too worried. I want mcclain and one of the two others in durant of carter. Beasley DEZ MURRAY. A lot of others are replaceable. Free id like back but for cheap and I think he will come back for cheap but some of the guys like Harris I don't want back.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Miami Hurricanes run that zone blocking scheme dallas does. Duke Johnson is a intriguing guy.

Ingram only has 400 more yrds in his career then what Murray had in 2014

Can Duke Johnson block? That is the #1 trait Garrett wants in a RB, Emmitt could, Murray could.

Ingram was in a crowded RB room with the Saints, his stats are pretty much irrelevant to me.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The problem with that thinking is in no way Gurley a sure thing to be available at 27 whether he is healthy or not. More likely to be available at 27 if he is not going to be ready Week 1, but not sure that makes sense for a team with immediate Super Bowl aspirations.

Cowboys are in a tough spot. You

It is a tough spot. I can see Gurley not being ready until mid season.
But Gurley isn't just a one season pick there are other years coming.
Yes the first half of next year is important I think I'd roll the dice on this one
however, I think the decision has been made to resign Murray.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus keeps saying those Randle 911 tapes are bad. I have no idea what he's hearing. Everything I heard was a really obvious performance unless you were taking it all on the level. This is another off season story that's going to shake out into nothing and that is only getting the attention it's getting because it ties into the Murray story that people like to talk about.

Not that Randle's not a knucklehead and not somebody the team can rely on, regardless.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Broaddus keeps saying those Randle 911 tapes are bad. I have no idea what he's hearing. Everything I heard was a really obvious performance unless you were taking it all on the level. This is another off season story that's going to shake out into nothing and that is only getting the attention it's getting because it ties into the Murray story that people like to talk about.

Not that Randle's not a knucklehead and not somebody the team can rely on, regardless.

The key point is you can't rely on this guy week to week to be a key component on a winning team. Backup, fine.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep, the 911 calls were more in Randle's favor than against him, IMO. People in real distress don't talk like that. It was an obvious attempt to get him in trouble. What does "he got weed" have to do with the issue? That phrase is so commonly used by women to get guys in trouble that they've made parodies about it on TV.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the recap.

I still prefer they stay away from Gurley. Need that 1st round pick to contribute day 1.
I don't see why signing both Dez & Murray will keep us from signing our own players too, and a few FA's if like last year. Maybe a cap guru can explain why or why not they can or can not. And some they simply won't or don't want to sign.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think we take a rb early and sign MURRAY. I get it limits resigning our own guys but besides 4-5 of them I'm not too worried. I want mcclain and one of the two others in durant of carter. Beasley DEZ MURRAY. A lot of others are replaceable. Free id like back but for cheap and I think he will come back for cheap but some of the guys like Harris I don't want back.
That would be the absolute worst. Why would we burn an early pick--say 1st or 2nd rounder--if we were also signing Murray?
Let's burn our cap and then on top of that, FURTHER hurt our chance of upgrading the defense by ALSO using a premium pick on a backup.
what the....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the recap.

I still prefer they stay away from Gurley. Need that 1st round pick to contribute day 1.
I don't see why signing both Dez & Murray will keep us from signing our own players too, and a few FA's if like last year. Maybe a cap guru can explain why or why not they can or can not. And some they simply won't or don't want to sign.

The Cowboys are trying to be more like the Patriots and less like the Skins. The Patriots take the even keel approach to the roster and free agency while the Skins have shown that going all-in on free agency can be a disaster.

The Cowboys could fit quite a bit into the 2015 cap, but they would sacrifice cap space in future years. That's the trade off they have to consider.

I think there are 2 points to the Murray contract issue. The first is that they don't want to be in the business of drastically overpaying players like they did in the past and RB is just not a high value position. The second point is that they want to spend some money in free agency on defense. Consider that the Patriots won the SB with low paid RBs Vereen and Blount but paid 12M to Revis.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of the thousands of possible combinations of things that might happen, I think that is the least likely.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
That would be the absolute worst. Why would we burn an early pick--say 1st or 2nd rounder--if we were also signing Murray?
Let's burn our cap and then on top of that, FURTHER hurt our chance of upgrading the defense by ALSO using a premium pick on a backup.
what the....

I didn't say in the first or second.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broaddus keeps saying those Randle 911 tapes are bad. I have no idea what he's hearing. Everything I heard was a really obvious performance unless you were taking it all on the level.
Broaddus missed the mark by a mile.

Last night I heard the case will be going to the DA by the end of next week.