Recap: Talkin Cowboys 4/30

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Anything more than a rotational guy would be a bonus. Perhaps he has finally has it figured out from the neck up AND neck down and found a perfect home in Dallas. Really really pulling for him to come thru for us.

I could see McClain and Bass rotating the 1

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see McClain and Bass rotating the 1

I don't.

Several reasons...

The first is Bass doesn't have the build for the #1 technique. 6'5"/294. I think he's too tall, too lean to be #1 technique DT.

Secondly Hatcher had good things to say about Bass potentially replacing him (as a #3) this season. During last year's training camp, Bass seemed to have some "quick twitch" to his game. I think putting him out there as a #1 would be misplaced.

I would be greatly surprised if the Cowboys did not draft a #1 DT to rotate with McClain.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a Hayden fan, but I wonder if the kids productivity would improve if he only had say 20 snaps a game instead of 50 some.
Definitey Yes, but there are only so many roster spots and I'm hoping that they draft 2 DTs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitey Yes, but there are only so many roster spots and I'm hoping that they draft 2 DTs.

You're right on the roster spot thing. If Hayden didn't make the final roster that would be a sign of something good happening... not necessarily for him but good in general for the defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right on the roster spot thing. If Hayden didn't make the final roster that would be a sign of something good happening... not necessarily for him but good in general for the defense.
I might be overly optimistic, but I think projected 7th rounders Ken Bishop and Zach Kerr could beat out Hayden in training camp.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I don't.

Several reasons...

The first is Bass doesn't have the build for the #1 technique. 6'5"/294. I think he's too tall, too lean to be #1 technique DT.

Secondly Hatcher had good things to say about Bass potentially replacing him (as a #3) this season. During last year's training camp, Bass seemed to have some "quick twitch" to his game. I think putting him out there as a #1 would be misplaced.

I would be greatly surprised if the Cowboys did not draft a #1 DT to rotate with McClain.

McClain is 293lbs

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
But he's also only 6'2... Not 6'5.

And while I don't have the info at hand I wouldn't be surprised if Bass was faster than McClain also.

If Bass was able to play the run aswell what would be the problem? Its not like they are playing a traditional 3-4 defense. the job of the inside man is to get up the fied. if Melton and Bass can provide that what would be the issue? I dont think Either is a 3down guy. Maybe you do play McClain on 1st and 2nd but bringing in a guy like Bass on 3rd down along side Melton.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClain is 293lbs
He looks bigger than 293. He definitely looked heavier in 2011 than is 2013.

I wish the NFL would require official weigh-in numbers to be published. The posted numbers seem very hit or miss in terms of accuracy.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Bass was able to play the run aswell what would be the problem? Its not like they are playing a traditional 3-4 defense. the job of the inside man is to get up the fied. if Melton and Bass can provide that what would be the issue? I dont think Either is a 3down guy. Maybe you do play McClain on 1st and 2nd but bringing in a guy like Bass on 3rd down along side Melton.

You probably nailed it in your last sentence.

A true #1 DT is probably only going to get about 30 snaps a game... Or at least they shouldn't get more than that. Hayden's 800+ snaps last year is pretty indicative of how poor the defensive line was. He shouldn't have been out there for more than a couple hundred snaps because he adds absolutely nothing to the pass rush. And being out there so often probably hurt his ability to stay stout vs the run.

ceerrece

Reaction score
If that's true, then they will pick Shazier with the 26th, Ealy, Sutton or Gabe Jackson in the second, Ward and a DE with both picks in the third.

lwehlers

Reaction score
I salute you and your post.

However, on the first 4 games as an indicator.
NEIN! NEIN! Remember, we half a December swoon. It is now in the Cowboys genes. A swell season could well go down the tubes from late November to December.

As to Spencer getting half of 1.25 mil: What a great country where a athlete can get free money for being injured.
I am liking this deal less and less and less. And I don't care it is for $1.25 mil -- that is too much. And I don't care if the deal is for one year. He's damaged goods. Yesterday, now and tomorrow. And I suspect he half a little bit of Ratliff in him.

wow so spencer will make 1.25 million this year for doing nothing unbelievable. there is no way he plays this year. man it must be nice to pay a employee that much money for nothing in return only the cowboys do this.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
wow so spencer will make 1.25 million this year for doing nothing unbelievable. there is no way he plays this year. man it must be nice to pay a employee that much money for nothing in return only the cowboys do this.

Do not flatter yourself too much.

There is precedent: Spencer did nothing last year and earned a good chunk of monies. Yes, what a great country!

So it is very possible he will do the same this year, especially with microfragmentation surgery and the coaches need to look at younger, more pliable talent.
In your rush to be mildly vague/sarcastic/facetious you fell on your sword and now look at all the blood. Who gonna clean it, huh? Mom took the day off so you will have to, that's who.