Twitter: Tank explains Marinelli’s defense

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a point and you are making it for me. The Rams did scout the Cowboys and identify "tells" of where players would shade, hand position, etc to predict stunts. If the Dallas coaches were as bad as you say, everyone would have done it and not just the Rams. Its like tipping pitches in baseball.

The teams don't "share" their scouting information. The Rams figured it out. Clearly the Seahawks hadn't the week before.

And on top of that, the Rams still had to execute. You can tell Adam Redmond what Aaron Donald is going to do a week ahead of time and he still won't be able to stop it.

Now you're going to resort to "scrubs vs best in the league" to try to make a point? Seriously?

I don't find the link on Collins having surgery, I may have remembered that wrong. But he was questionable for the game with both an ankle injury and an illness. He wouldn't have played if it wasn't a playoff game. Woods was hurt early in the game and gutted it out, he had surgery soon afterward.

That's what I thought. He didn't have surgery, and wasn't quite so injured that he couldn't play. Therefore it's no excuse, so please stop trying to use it as one and just accept that when the other team knows what you're doing, you're done. They did, we were. And they said as much. Accept that fact.

Kaiser

Reaction score
That's what I thought. He didn't have surgery, and wasn't quite so injured that he couldn't play. Therefore it's no excuse, so please stop trying to use it as one and just accept that when the other team knows what you're doing, you're done. They did, we were. And they said as much. Accept that fact.

Seeing the keys were a factor but the injuries were a bigger factor. Opponents figured out the "tell" for the Dallas offense for the second half of 2017 and 2018 and it was "something short".

Is it an "excuse" that the play of Tyron Smith and Zack Martin dropped off dramatically when they played through injuries? Or do players go out on the field on days they would hospitalized if they were working at a desk job?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Seeing the keys were a factor but the injuries were a bigger factor. Opponents figured out the "tell" for the Dallas offense for the second half of 2017 and 2018 and it was "something short".

Is it an "excuse" that the play of Tyron Smith and Zack Martin dropped off dramatically when they played through injuries? Or do players go out on the field on days they would hospitalized if they were working at a desk job?
If my desk job was paying millions I would be at work.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Utter nonsense. If these guys were so "injured", someone else would have been out there. It's why you have a 46 man game day roster, so that players too injured to play, don't.

I can't believe that you can't face the simple reality that they were exposed and outcoached.

First, you point to the Woods injury,m and that's debunked by the fact that the Rams ran all over the Cowboys before he was hurt. But then try to bring up this "injury" to Collins and a phantom surgery that didn't happen. You need to just quit with this failed narrative.

How about we focus on the subject matter at hand and now not divert to Tyron Smith and Zack Martin?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Utter nonsense. If these guys were so "injured", someone else would have been out there. It's why you have a 46 man game day roster, so that players too injured to play, don't.

I can't believe that you can't face the simple reality that they were exposed and outcoached.

First, you point to the Woods injury,m and that's debunked by the fact that the Rams ran all over the Cowboys before he was hurt. But then try to bring up this "injury" to Collins and a phantom surgery that didn't happen. You need to just quit with this failed narrative.

They will come up with any excuse to prop up marinelli. Yet other teams around the league are able to prosper with worse injuries.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I believe it was three seasons ago, we had the number one team against the Run. The defensive line would pause a moment to stop the run. And then full attack if it was a pass. It almost reminded me of the flick defense. Read and react. I think that is what this defense is still about . So many times we would have an opponent after kickoff inside their own 10-yard line. We would full blowout attack and never keep them there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will come up with any excuse to prop up marinelli. Yet other teams around the league are able to prosper with worse injuries.

It sure appears that way, doesn't it? Even when the other team comes out and tells the world that they "knew what the Cowboys were doing 90% of the time", some still want to try to use injures as an excuse.

It's baffling.

Kaiser

Reaction score
First, you point to the Woods injury,m and that's debunked by the fact that the Rams ran all over the Cowboys before he was hurt.

Woods was hurt early in the second quarter. Collins was hurt in practice the week before and didn't practice because of illness.

In the first quarter the Rams had 11 carries for 52 yards. 4.7 YPC.

For the last three quarters they had 37 carries for 221 yards. 6.0 YPC.

Kaiser

Reaction score
How about we focus on the subject matter at hand and now not divert to Tyron Smith and Zack Martin?

How about we use those two examples to debunk your claim that injuries don't effect performance?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woods was hurt early in the second quarter. Collins was hurt in practice the week before and didn't practice because of illness.

In the first quarter the Rams had 11 carries for 52 yards. 4.7 YPC.

For the last three quarters they had 37 carries for 221 yards. 6.0 YPC.

Your "math is bad. Here's the exact time when Woods was "injured". An injury that he continued to play through for the duration of the game.

(11:20) T.Gurley left end to LA 28 for 4 yards (A.Woods; S.Lee). DAL-A.Woods was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57828/LA_Gamebook.pdf

11:20 remaining the in the second quarter
. At which point the Rams had already amassed 89 yards rushing.

I told you to quit while you were behind.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about we use those two examples to debunk your claim that injuries don't effect performance?

Nobody ever claimed that. You're the guy trying to use injuries as an excuse for getting run over.

And continuing to fail.

Stop wasting everyone's time.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Your "math is bad. Here's the exact time when Woods was "injured". An injury that he continued to play through for the duration of the game.

(11:20) T.Gurley left end to LA 28 for 4 yards (A.Woods; S.Lee). DAL-A.Woods was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57828/LA_Gamebook.pdf

11:20 remaining the in the second quarter
. At which point the Rams had already amassed 89 yards rushing.

I told you to quit while you were behind.

Actually your math is bad. According to that PDF they had 13 rushes for 63 yards. (I'm not counting the play he was injured on, the WR end around or the 3 yard scramble by Goff).

RB YPC before Woods Injury - 4.84 (13 for 63)

RB YPC after Woods Injury - 7.95 (22 for 175)

YPC Regular Season by Gurley and Anderson 5.18 (299 for 1550)

So what you call "running all over" the Dallas DL was lower than their season average and 60% lower than the average after Woods went out.

Game, Set, Match.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually your math is bad. According to that PDF they had 13 rushes for 63 yards. (I'm not counting the play he was injured on, the WR end around or the 3 yard scramble by Goff).

Are they not running plays?

RB YPC before Woods Injury - 4.84 (13 for 63)

RB YPC after Woods Injury - 7.95 (22 for 175)

YPC Regular Season by Gurley and Anderson 5.18 (299 for 1550)

So what you call "running all over" the Dallas DL was lower than their season average and 60% lower than the average after Woods went out.

Game, Set, Match.

Yeah, and you lost. Stop wasting everyone's time.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Are they not running plays?

A passing play where the pocket breaks down and the QB scrambles for 3 yards is proof our defensive coaches suck? A WR end around is a reflection of the RBs and DT's?

On Planet Hater, sure. Here on Earth.... not so much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A passing play where the pocket breaks down and the QB scrambles for 3 yards is proof out defensive coaches suck?

On Planet Hater, sure. Here on Earth.... not so much.

I'm done with this absolute waste of time. The rest is yours.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've given you the numbers. If you are incapable of looking outside a hole you dug for yourself, that's on you.

You've also "given me" fraudulent surgeries and injury excuses. That's on you.

Now I'm done done.

ondaedg

Reaction score
The D-Line was simply outplayed by the Rams' offensive line.......................No more of these lame excuses.

And we've all been witness to the inability of the Garrett coaching staff to make proper in-game and halftime adjustments.........................

They were outplayed and the Rams used a counter draw that got the DLine and LBers aggressively leaning one direction allowing a one-cut into the gap left by our defense. They used our aggressiveness against us. And our DLine isn't built on size so once they got us leaning their OLine kept us moving in that direction.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Rams did what they did to everybody between the 20s last year. We were talking about it even before the game.

We clearly got out coached in the Rams game. But you will continue to deflect all you want.

If its any consolation to your hero Garrett, it was mostly on the defensive side of the ball that we got out coached. But there was no doubt some horrid coaching and gameplanning as your hero and his hand picked OC kept running Zeke over and over into the two Pro bowl DT's all game long. In fact, it seemed like the main game plan was to do JUST THAT. And then of course as we have seen over and over again in the Garrett era, there is no adjusting whatsoever during the game to whatever is or isnt working.

Now you can commence with the insults and the bla bla bla about making things up in my head, ect.....ect..........