Tanking is one of the most cowardly things a team could do

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well higher pick could yield more compensation in a trade down scenario. So we could have been trading down from 3 to 5, received an extra first round pick next year and been in a similar drafting position this year.

But I'm right there with you. I'm not a fan of tanking in most situations either. Those talking about losing more games last year particularly the first 6 weeks into the season is just stupid.
Yeah but some things working out the way they do is for the better. Especially if you're a fan of them going defense. They can essentially grab the best defensive player in the draft where they are. It never made sense to trade out.....

ghst187

Reaction score
It def works if you draft well...
I don’t like the culture it creates but these days the rosters turn over so fast and teams go from first to last and last to first so fluidly I’m not sure it matters anymore

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I disagree with the OP.

you say, what’s the difference? We still get to pick the best defensive player at 10. That’s bad logic. Just imagine sitting at 4. And then trading back to 10 and getting that same “best defensive player” and extra draft capital to boost.
Its impossible to say this without knowing who would be at 10 but you are assuming that whoever would be at 10 would want to move up in this draft.

And if the Cowboys did have the #4 pick(highly unlikely) they would not trade down lol. When have the Cowboys EVER traded down at a pick that low? Last time they had a pick that low they drafted a running back. We have to understand what we are dealing with here in regards to GM's...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It def works if you draft well...
I don’t like the culture it creates but these days the rosters turn over so fast and teams go from first to last and last to first so fluidly I’m not sure it matters anymore
Yeah but the ones who's rosters turn over fast isn't because of "tanking". I'm willing to change my views on tanking but every time I ask people when has tanking resulted in a winning culture or a playoff team? I just haven't seen it. Maybe in other sports you can argue this. Maybe in the NBA or MLB...but in the NFL? It just hasn't worked. And there's no proof of it working. You can argue its done more damage than good actually.

ghst187

Reaction score
Yeah but the ones who's rosters turn over fast isn't because of "tanking". I'm willing to change my views on tanking but every time I ask people when has tanking resulted in a winning culture or a playoff team? I just haven't seen it. Maybe in other sports you can argue this. Maybe in the NBA or MLB...but in the NFL? It just hasn't worked. And there's no proof of it working. You can argue its done more damage than good actually.

what teams have blatantly tanked on purpose? Indy in the Suck for Luck...
Legit question, I can’t think of any offhand...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To me the Browns and Jags had a few years of doing it as have the Jets. And its all subjective...I guess if you asked them they'd say no they aren't tanking...IMO, they were tanking.

Most teams who people say they are "tanking" are just simply bad teams. I'm not even sure if teams even really practice the art of tanking truthfully....not to start the season anyway.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Great analogy and that's how it should play out. Management puts the team in a position to fail. If the players still win then so be it but management has to look at the big picture.
Hmmm.....

So, management gets bad players.....or gets rid of their better players. You get your QB at number one. Then, because of no vet leadership. Because all your good players are shipped away, the QB gets killed?

Got it.

I know many will point to the Herschell trade as an example of tanking working. But the players never once quit. Jimmy still coached his butt off, and Jerry was always churning the bottom of the roster to add talent.

Herschell's trade also netted us a bunch of players (vet players that wouldn't get anyone else killed), and draft picks.

Not the same as telling the coach to put in the backups. What a slap in the face to the players that have gone to war (sorry about the comparison) for you. What a slap in the face to the vets who have put their bodies on the line, and have to give up possible playing incentives, so you can feel good about our draft possibilities.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Possibly Miami.

They traded away some great players.

Possibly Houston.

Drafting high consistently sure hasn't helped Cleveland, Jax, Cinn, and the Jets all that much.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hmmm.....

So, management gets bad players.....or gets rid of their better players. You get your QB at number one. Then, because of no vet leadership. Because all your good players are shipped away, the QB gets killed?

Got it.

I know many will point to the Herschell trade as an example of tanking working. But the players never once quit. Jimmy still coached his butt off, and Jerry was always churning the bottom of the roster to add talent.

Herschell's trade also netted us a bunch of players (vet players that wouldn't get anyone else killed), and draft picks.

Not the same as telling the coach to put in the backups. What a slap in the face to the players that have gone to war (sorry about the comparison) for you. What a slap in the face to the vets who have put their bodies on the line, and have to give up possible playing incentives, so you can feel good about our draft possibilities.

Well sometimes you need to get worse to get better. Especially in a league with a salary cap like the NFL.

Or you could use the Dallas method and constantly stay mediocre.

The Cowboys are here for relevancy and mediocrity. They made that clear with the Dak signing. So you'll get your honorable football and we'll get to watch risk takers like the Bucs in the Superbowl.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Well sometimes you need to get worse to get better. Especially in a league with a salary cap like the NFL.

Or you could use the Dallas method and constantly stay mediocre.
Or you could pick consistently in the top ten and make the playoffs once every ten years.....like Cleveland, Cinn, Jets, etc.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Or you could pick consistently in the top ten and make the playoffs once every ten years.....like Cleveland, Cinn, Jets, etc.

If my options are be terrible or mediocre i'll choose terrible.

I'd rather be drafting #2 right now and dumping that awful Dak deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Possibly Miami.

They traded away some great players.

Possibly Houston.

Drafting high consistently sure hasn't helped Cleveland, Jax, Cinn, and the Jets all that much.
Well I would put Miami in there but when they traded away all of their good players they got better lol. They even beat the Patriots afterwards. Everyone said they should tank for Tua.......they don't tank and still end up getting Tua.

I don't know what the hell Houston is doing. Part of me felt like they thought those moves were good moves for some odd reason.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If my options are be terrible or mediocre i'll choose terrible.

I'd rather be drafting #2 right now and dumping that awful Dak deal.
I'm just shocked you think either approach is a approach you would take. You speak as if being terrible is good lol. Its not. When you are terrible...chances are you will continue to be terrible. How many times have you seen teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, etc. be "terrible"?

But how many times have you seen teams like the Jets and Jaguars be terrible?

ghst187

Reaction score
Well I would put Miami in there but when they traded away all of their good players they got better lol. They even beat the Patriots afterwards. Everyone said they should tank for Tua.......they don't tank and still end up getting Tua.

I don't know what the hell Houston is doing. Part of me felt like they thought those moves were good moves for some odd reason.

mid the browns were doing it, it took like 20 years for it to pay off lol.
Yeah not sure about Houston and Miami...tanking or rebuilding? IDK

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
mid the browns were doing it, it took like 20 years for it to pay off lol.
Yeah not sure about Houston and Miami...tanking or rebuilding? IDK
Tanked 20 years just to end up with Baker Mayfield......and aye I get it. He looks to be on the up and up and I'm sure they are just happy to have someone with a pulse.....until they give him 200 million lol.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm just shocked you think either approach is a approach you would take. You speak as if being terrible is good lol. Its not. When you are terrible...chances are you will continue to be terrible. How many times have you seen teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, etc. be "terrible"?

But how many times have you seen teams like the Jets and Jaguars be terrible?

Being in the middle consistently is the absolute worst position to be in sports. That's just common knowledge and as a Cowboy fan I don't get how that point eludes you.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That ain't cowardly...you just suck. If you suck you suck. Nothing you can do about it.

Nah. Rolling over and getting pushed around all game long is also cowardly. Giving up that much rushing yardage isn’t just lack of talent. It’s lack of heart. Our defense has players that lack heart. That’s facts