Tanking would have been the right strategy

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares what he did in Miami---If you are a Cowboy fan you love that he took the Cowboys from the toilet bowl to the Super Bowl

I do LOVE LOVE LOVE! Good times and I have never bought (or collected) so much paraphernalia as I did during those times. Not even close.

But..YOU!.... compared him to other coaches SINCE then. Since then...other coaches sucked...and so did Jimmy. Since then.

You found it convenient to bring Jimmy up when with Jerry, the cowboys and the old NFL. But...bringing up Miami offends you.

You don't have to like it....but it's facts. Jimmy did as good with another team as our coaches (since then) did here. (I bet we agree Barry won by default). Jimmy benefitted by circumstance every but as much as skill.

Our coaches since then....haven't the skill nor the circumstances. Surely you see my point if not fully buy it.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I do LOVE LOVE LOVE! Good times and I have never bought (or collected) so much paraphernalia as I did during those times. Not even close.

But..YOU!.... compared him to other coaches SINCE then. Since then...other coaches sucked...and so did Jimmy. Since then.

You found it convenient to bring Jimmy up when with Jerry, the cowboys and the old NFL. But...bringing up Miami offends you.

You don't have to like it....but it's facts. Jimmy did as good with another team as our coaches (since then) did here. (I bet we agree Barry won by default). Jimmy benefitted by circumstance every but as much as skill.

Our coaches since then....haven't the skill nor the circumstances. Surely you see my point if not fully buy it.

Jimmy was a great coach -he never sucked. I don't care what he did after the Cowboys-but since you bring up Miami -talk about what Jimmy did before he came to the Cowboys --National Championship at the University of Miami ---Jimmy built Championship teams.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I would prefer the higher draft position, taking a dive is just flat out wrong. It ruins any shred of integrity a team has. A reputation like that is hard to live down. As long as there was a chance to win the division, they owed it to the players to try.

That said, I wouldn't have had any problem giving young guys more playing time and resting vets more. Still, you want those youngins to give it their all. Why send guys out there to go half speed and make business decisions? That's not getting experience. That's experiencing being a loser.
Agreed. And, do we really believe the Cowboys' would pick a blue chip QB with the first overall pick? It's anyone's guess as to their mindset, not to mention their dire lack of defensive talent.
Let's say they tanked and got first overall pick. Dak starts the season and the next few years as well. How long before the blue chip 1st round pick gets disgruntled and wants a trade or bombs out?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winning fixes a host of ills. It instills confidence, builds teamwork, and provides better focus on performance. I never played on a team that did not want to win.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You couldn't sit Dalton.
You signed him with an agreement to back up Dak.
He deserved his shot to go put up tape and earn a decent contract.

You crap on guys in that scenario and can kiss dealing with free agents goodbye.

EVERYTHING in the NFL is about playing your very best and playing to win.

They tried DiNucci one game and was clearly not an NFL QB. They couldn't go back to him again last season.
He in no way resembled an NFL QB and you couldn't sell that nonsense to anyone.
DiNucci will be lucky to make the practice squad this year.

Like a lot of folks you are "1 themed". You care about nothing but the draft pick.
That's how you miss the trees with every take you post here.
The game is a lot bigger than a few slots in the draft.
You don't burn down your team culture to draft higher unless you are planning a start from scratch rebuild.
It's magical thinking - tanking fans are sure that the front office will capitalize on the picks, the team will be better, all the players who are tanking have altruistic motives and don't mind losing their jobs to the incoming wunderkinds, and that the bench warmers and SFAs will admire this philosophy and play till the drafted players get the hang of it. "Sure kid, just waiting for you to step in. Please take my job and make me move."

Shane612

Reaction score
Oh, boy....... another tanking conversation.
:facepalm:

10th pick is still a good place.
Cowboys fan should worry more about what Jerry Jones will do with the pick, rather than the spot of the pick.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Jimmy JOhnson built the team that won 3 Super Bowls in the 90's, The Cowboys were the worst team in the league in 1989 when Jimmy Johnson took over as coach and he took them to the top. Jimmy JOhnson is an all-time Great Coach

No one is denying that. Nor should anyone deny that he is an all time egomaniacal a-hole. There is no defending the crap that he would regularly say about the guy who signed his paychecks. The only motivation had to be he was trying to get fired. How long would keep your job if you talked publicly about your boss the way Jimmy did about Jerry?

waving monkey

Reaction score
People talk about it never being helpful to lose on purpose, but we've been struggling to get to 8-8 every year for 15 years. If overcoming adversity to get to middling were actually such a character builder, we would have won many Super Bowls by now.

We're picking 10th. Which is OK. But we could have been picking 3rd or 4th or something in every round. So that's 40-50 spots of surrendered draft capital. And we didn't make the playoffs, so that flurry of wins at the end of the year did nothing but set us back long-term.

Also, signing a veteran backup quarterback - unless you're a serious contender, not a Jerry Jones magical-thinking contender - is a waste of resources. We got Andy Dalton. At the end of the year, our backup quarterback was better than the backup quarterbacks for other teams with injured starters. So we won a few games. It didn't help us. It hurt us. See paragraph 2.
this season was unlike any other and th draft is weak at the top except QB.
10 is a reasonable place to grab one of our needs at value. 4 would have trade down value

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Garrett never tanked. I give him some respect for that.
Sure he did. He pulled Romo in week 16 of 2011. Romo hurt his hand on the first drive but the team had already discussed who would play and sit if the Giants ended up winning their earlier game, which they did. The week 16 game turned into a preseason game for all intents and purposes and the goal no longer was to win but to remain healthy for the week 17 showdown with the Giants. Not trying your best to win = tanking according to this board.

We also tanked in Week 17 of 2016 sitting a lot of our starters for the majority of games.