Tap those brakes - our D isn't ready for PT

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has serious reservations about our D? I mean a consistent theme is receivers running wide open - especially RB's out of the backfield ......eventually this will start costing more than a 2pt defeat moral victory.....I mean yes we have balled offensively .....but this D has me concerned - STILL​

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has serious reservations about our D?​
Serious reservations? Nah. They should have beat TB, did beat the Chargers and Eagles missing key people on defense. They have played well so far. Clearly Parsons is a impact player. Clearly there is far better safety play. We are finally seeing turnovers. Once the missing starters return it is definitely playoff caliber defense.

Gaede

Reaction score
It's practically impossible to have a shut down D these days. These guys are playing hard, making plays, and getting better. That's all we really need.

I worry about a couple positions, yeah, but overall, the unit is looking good

waving monkey

Reaction score
Serious reservations? Nah. They should have beat TB, did beat the Chargers and Eagles missing key people on defense. They have played well so far. Clearly Parsons is a impact player. Clearly there is far better safety play. We are finally seeing turnovers. Once the missing starters return it is definitely playoff caliber defense.
thank you

ghst187

Reaction score
We def have a lot to clean up, on offense too. But this D is YOUNG and a bit patchwork with all the folks out, I like how they are competing (nice change from previous) and they will gel I think as the season goes on. Right now, just keep piling up turnovers and stacking Ws.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has serious reservations about our D? I mean a consistent theme is receivers running wide open - especially RB's out of the backfield ......eventually this will start costing more than a 2pt defeat moral victory.....I mean yes we have balled offensively .....but this D has me concerned - STILL​
our D3 1.5 sacks
Diggs 3 inter
Parsons 1.5 sacks season
TFL 9
Im tired of looking up stats. First year DC. 2 rookies big contributors .
I see us allowing some big plays it happens. lets cut those down

ultron

Reaction score
A 2 pt moral victory? It was the first game of the season, our kicker missed a FG and 2 extra points, and there were some bad calls that all went against us (including a player that took off his helmet after a 3rd down stop and was later fined but never flagged & we were in the redzone; would’ve been an automatic 1st down). If we played them next week - we’d beat them. This is a cover 3 base defense flats will usually be open - you can’t cover the whole damn field and have a pass rush at the same time all game long.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
We are missing some very good players on D— and we are leading the league in turnovers and are getting consistent pressure on the QB.

The secondary has some work to do— but they have made some significant strides since last year. I don’t expect them to be a top 5 unit overnight— but they are going in the right direction for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the young guys mature, and the injured guys get back on the field. Haven’t had this much fun watching a Cowboys D in over two decades

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Reminder: Eagles are not a good team.
We overmatched them with our offense.
Right side of the oline did well last night.
Jaylon Smith should play closer to the line. When he plays back it seems he can't get in and fill the gap fast enough.
Hurts was not very accurate last night. Wentz for all his faults was better with their two TE's most of the time.

Reactions: BAT

Batman1980

Reaction score

Defense went from franchise worst to almost average but they're forcing a lot of takeaways so they're good enough for us to make the play-offs.

bark

Reaction score
You are never going to have 11 pro bowlers on one side of the ball. And this not a finished product yet.
The coaching and the scheme are much improved and for the first time in forever, there are athletic playmakers on all 3 levels of the defense.

Batman1980

Reaction score
You are never going to have 11 pro bowlers on one side of the ball. And this not a finished product yet.
The coaching and the scheme are much improved and for the first time in forever, there are athletic playmakers on all 3 levels of the defense.

Still missing key players too so we could easily move up from 20th closer to the 10-15 range.