Tap those brakes - our D isn't ready for PT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is the NFL and teams will hit big plays vs most every team out there. Try watching other games and you will see all defense will give up plays. Dallas allowed 4 out of 12 3rd downs in this game. As many like to say about Dak, a lot of the yardage Dallas gave up was garbage yards. At the start of the 3rd it is 34 to 14 and defense gave up only 7 points at that stage. I think there is still much work to do on defense but I also know we are missing quite a few players DLaw, Gallimore, Wilson, Watkins, Neal but this defense deserves props for last nights game.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has serious reservations about our D? I mean a consistent theme is receivers running wide open - especially RB's out of the backfield ......eventually this will start costing more than a 2pt defeat moral victory.....I mean yes we have balled offensively .....but this D has me concerned - STILL​

So our starting Defense is playing: two rookies, a 2nd year CB and probably Joseph when fit. When was the last time we fielded two Safeties worthy of the name in the same game ....and without our best DE.

After watching last years shambles I would have settled for a Defense that's 'poor, but at least turned up', what we've got a unit that compete's and makes a difference (despite injuries).

John813

Reaction score
Obviously it's early, but this defense is without a few starters and rookies that should be pressing vets for time.

All we need is the defense to stay hot for the playoffs(hopefully). Force some turnovers and some stops and they can do enough for the offense to close out games.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Are the bucs ready for promethazine. We lit them up, rams lit them up, yet they have best front 7 in nfl, right?

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honest question......with how well our back-ups are playing on defense (mostly), do you stick with those players who "have the hot hand", or do you sit them in favor of those returning from injuries? What if the returning players aren't as good? What do you do?

Cowboy-33

Reaction score
I liked the original post but I do have to say I’m 1000 percent more impressed then any year recent. Turnovers are huge and we lead the league.

But yeah too many 5 yard passes turning into 30 yard gains.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I waiting for a "Tap/Pump the Brakes" post lol. First one of the season well done. But to respond since I am here....this D is extremely young (I have heard 2nd youngest in NFL? Someone have the stats on that?), we had missing starters out and this team, not just the defense, is playing with speed and physicality I have not seen from an entire Cowboys team in my fandom years. As an ex-football player...it's about damn time! Football is a physical sport, most of the league plays too soft(non-metaphorically speaking). Our team, finally, does not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has serious reservations about our D? I mean a consistent theme is receivers running wide open - especially RB's out of the backfield ......eventually this will start costing more than a 2pt defeat moral victory.....I mean yes we have balled offensively .....but this D has me concerned - STILL​

No reservations from me.

I look at the rest of the NFL.. I’ll take what we have.

We can pressure and make plays and keep point totals low.

Every NFL defense is going to give up something at some point and have bad weeks.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Honest question......with how well our back-ups are playing on defense (mostly), do you stick with those players who "have the hot hand", or do you sit them in favor of those returning from injuries? What if the returning players aren't as good? What do you do?
We are missing several "starters" along the defensive line. I put starters in quotation marks though because I don't think it really matters who is starting there. You need to rotate and you need to switch on bodies depending on what the offense is showing. Having those guys back in there will help keep everyone fresh. And while Parsons looks good at DE I really would like to see him more at LB where he can patrol the whole field (and keep Jaylon off of it).

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
This is the NFL and teams will hit big plays vs most every team out there. Try watching other games and you will see all defense will give up plays. Dallas allowed 4 out of 12 3rd downs in this game. As many like to say about Dak, a lot of the yardage Dallas gave up was garbage yards. At the start of the 3rd it is 34 to 14 and defense gave up only 7 points at that stage. I think there is still much work to do on defense but I also know we are missing quite a few players DLaw, Gallimore, Wilson, Watkins, Neal but this defense deserves props for last nights game.
I wish all our opposing qb's were named Hurts. :laugh:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wish all our opposing qb's were named Hurts. :laugh:

Last week it was Herbert and beat him too. I accept this is the NFL and rules give a certain advantage to the offense and we will see offense make plays. I tend to watch a lot of games and everyone will give up plays even big gainers within a game. But right now this defense is going out and making plays picking off Brady, Herbert and Hurts they are hustling to the ball. Yes had some communications breakdowns as well then again Quinn is having to use a lot of different players due to some injuries as well as putting his defensive system into place. I think this defense will only get better as they continue to gain confidence as they are buying into Quinn system

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Lol. Play the backups. Doing the rotation thing keeps everyone fresh or should I say fresher.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

+1 What's obvious and impressive to me is can ALL 11 players busting their aiies for Quinn out there.....

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
eventually this will start costing more than a 2pt defeat moral victory

Or maybe “eventually” they get better and better since they are ONLY three games into a new scheme and they have like a hundred new players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
+1 What's obvious and impressive to me is can ALL 11 players busting their aiies for Quinn out there.....

True. Right now they will make mistakes but they shake it off, get their heads back into the game and make plays. I would love never to give up a big play, to never give up a TD but that is not reality which many can't seem to wrap their heads around.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Really? Are you sure? Of course they are a work in progress, but sheesh compared to the mess that was trotted onto the field last season this D at least appears like they have the ability to make stops and flip field position. With our O we don’t need a top 5 D just a good D and I think we are on our way…

DanA

Reaction score
My opinion:
  • The safeties have been awesome. I can't believe the production we are getting from the peanuts we've spent.
  • Diggs is fantastic, Lewis pretty solid, Brown hot and cold. He's fine against speed, not great against finesse.
  • LBers kind of suck. Neither Jaylon nor LVE are any good. Neale has been aggressive but missed some tackles
  • TE coverage hasn't been great across the three games, could it be time for Mukuamu?
  • Odigi is fantastic for a rookie
  • Forget Rookie, Parsons might be defensive player of the year
  • Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, and the rest of the edge guys are a solid group. I still think Lawrence is a borderline top 5 edge rusher even if he won't get the big sack numbers.
  • I still feel like we could be gashed up the middle. I'm not sure the DT's (not named Odigi) are good enough, and I feel like I'm seeing some woeful LB play between the tackles. Thankfully, nobodies committed to he run so far and we've contained the run on the outside pretty well.
  • I've turned the corner and now think we could be anything as a defense thanks to takeaways. I don't think it's a fluke and I expect us to be a top 5 defense for takeaways all year.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
No reservations from me.

I look at the rest of the NFL.. I’ll take what we have.

We can pressure and make plays and keep point totals low.

Every NFL defense is going to give up something at some point and have bad weeks.

Look I agreed....but I'm telling you & everyone else.....our D is missing basic assignments- and it will eventually cost us