Tavon Austin - No Fumble Problem On Offense

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone complaining about you starting a thread instead of replying to theirs?

Lame
I feel that two threads should be allowed to run on a similar topic if one disputes the thread title of the other.

This year seems to have peaked in terms of people creating misleading thread titles.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
As long as they don't put him on punt return, then this whole thing is pointless. No matter the muffs, or fumbles, or any such what-not.

No, if he had normal fumbles on punt returns that would still indicate a problem with ball security that can show up on any play.

Adam gave further info indicating the vast majority were muffs.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
No, if he had normal fumbles on punt returns that would still indicate a problem with ball security that can show up on any play.

Adam gave further info indicating the vast majority were muffs.
So... as long as they don't put him on punt return...

T-RO

Reaction score
I feel that two threads should be allowed to run on a similar topic if one disputes the thread title of the other.

I thought about it a bit more...

If crumbs from my table are enough for a second meal...I won’t begrudge it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This year seems to have peaked in terms of people creating misleading thread titles.

My experience is that the thread police do more harm than good. Cramming topics tackled from different angles into the same thread tends to quash readability, and thereby interest. Isn't that why we're here, to discuss stuff? If someone doesn't want to read a thread, they don't have to, but there are certain minds that simply can't stand to see others have what they want when they don't want it too.

It's not like there are millions of threads we have to wade through this week. We're not running out of screen space. Or bits.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As long as they don't put him on punt return, then this whole thing is pointless. No matter the muffs, or fumbles, or any such what-not.
This whole discussion is pointless anyway....unless the coaches base their decisions on the outcomes of our debates.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Can we stop the Tavon Austin fumble narrative?

On Offense he does not have a fumble problem.

In his 5 year career he has:
On Runs: 1 fumble
On Receptions: 4 fumbles
On Punt Returns: 17 fumbles

His fumble rate on offense for his career is better than:
Zeke 2016
Dez Career
Jay Ajayi 2017

Fumble Percentage On Offense:
1.32% Tavon Austin Career
1.41% Zeke 2016
0.96% Zeke Career
2.50% Jay Ajayi 2017
1.22% Jay Ajayi Career
1.81% David Johnson Career
1.57% Tiki Barber Career
2.59% Tiki Barber 2003
1.51% Dez Career
so - how many overall fumbles (would seem 22) and how many touches on the ball? seems strange to micro-slice this out to the one area he's not shown it to be an issue.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tavonaustin/2539336/careerstats
rushing
181 attempts and 1 fumble.
receiving
194 catches, 4 fumbles
kick returns
25 returns, 0 fumbles
punt returns
158 returns, 17 fumbles

558 touches, 22 fumbles

already got work stacking up and understand i'm not making a case for or against anything at this point. just saying it's a bit odd to to pick 1 area he's good at and highlight that when overall that's around 1/3 of his overall input. you're leaving out 2/3rds of his touches (more or less) and that's where a bulk of what he will do for us be done.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
So... as long as they don't put him on punt return...

lord no. may as well go for it on 4th down more often at this point. at least the other team will get the ball back further away from our endzone.

looks like he's the new dunbar and he could do very well in that role. so far i'm fine with just a 6th round pick to find out what the kid can do and if we can work around known issues he has.

jrumann59

Reaction score
We liked Dunbar but he fumbled too often and got hurt too often. Austin should be better in every way, but can't fumble the ball. If he holds on to the ball, he'll be great.[/QUOTE]

Great? How about he just be slightly above average first and over a sustained period of time. The only thing that makes him worthy of using the term "great" to describe him would be his speed. He is not a great route runner as a receiver type, he can only really run short to intermediate routes, this team has plenty of those. He is not great as a running back due to his build, not great as PR because of "muffing". He is great at getting headlines about his "great" potential.