Signed by Cowboys Tavon Austin Re-signed

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Lots of good numbers for ColeB.

Odd that they let him walk...

On this team at least, Hurns has shown that he's a good 4th WR and little else. All the numbers below are from games 1-7, when Hurns was still one of the team's top 3 WR targets.

Routes
1 Beasley 184
2 Hurns 176
3 Gallup 143
4 Thompson 96
5 Austin 66

Yards per route run
1 Austin 1.97
2 Beasley 1.90
3 Gallup 1.33
4 Thompson 1.07
5 Hurns 0.90

Targets resulting in First down
1 Beasley 44%
2 Thompson 40%
3 Austin 40%
4 Gallup 27%
5 Hurns 26%

Target 20+ yards
1 Gallup 6 tgt 4 rec
2 Austin 3 tgt 2 rec
3 Thompson 1 tgt 0 rec
4 Beasley 2 tgt 0 rec
5 Hurns 4 tgt 0 rec

Let’s also bring up the fact that with Cole “leading” the receiver group weeks 1-7 we went 3-4.
He had one great game in a blowout. 101 yards and 2/3 of his seasons TDS.

Outside of that he averaged 4/42 per game over the other 6 weeks.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Lots of good numbers for ColeB.

Odd that they let him walk...
Dallas made what they felt was a fair offer to re-sign Cole Beasley, who also had serious proposals from Buffalo and New England.

Beaz took the money from the Bills.

He's a very good underneath target and fair catch option on punts. That said, Beasley was limited to playing in the slot and working underneath coverage. He didn't help as an outside receiver, didn't stretch defenses vertically, and didn't threaten to house punt returns.

He also came across as a crybaby on social media.

I felt all along one of Beasley or Tavon Austin would return to the team in 2019, but not both, and my gut feeling was it would be the latter.

Austin showed he can be an underneath threat with the Rams, but one who could also break any of those short passes into long TDs. And the Cowboys successfully used TA as a deep threat early in the season before his groin injury when the offense was a mess. Austin is also definitely a threat as a punt returner and occasional runner.

He's also betting on himself showing it again with good health on a one year contract.

The Cowboys know they need to draft a slot receiver and I'd like to stash another on the Practice Squad during the season and say bye bye to Lance Lenoir.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Let’s also bring up the fact that with Cole “leading” the receiver group weeks 1-7 we went 3-4.
He had one great game in a blowout. 101 yards and 2/3 of his seasons TDS.

Outside of that he averaged 4/42 per game over the other 6 weeks.
For whatever reason, Cole Beasley and Amari Cooper never had big impacts in the same game with the Dallas Cowboys.

It always seemed to be one or the other and made me wonder what the passing game might look like with both producing simultameously.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
For whatever reason, Cole Beasley and Amari Cooper never had big impacts in the same game with the Dallas Cowboys.

It always seemed to be one or the other and made me wonder what the passing game might look like with both producing simultameously.

I wonder too. When Cooper first arrived I think defenses played the Cowboys the same as they did from games 1-7. Cooper started to get more attention from defenses once he turned out to be "the missing piece"; which tells me Beasley should have seen plenty of open spaces.

But the Cowboys kept throwing to Cooper knowing he was the playmaker. Beasley had that one huge game against the Giants in the finale (6 catches for 94 yards) but like you said, they never had a good game at the same time. Very strange.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Let’s also bring up the fact that with Cole “leading” the receiver group weeks 1-7 we went 3-4..
As a WR3, Beasley should not have been leading the team in targets. The fact that he was shows you that there was no real WR1 or WR2 at the time. That changed after the trade for Cooper and the improvement of Gallup, but none of these things reflect badly on Beasley, as you seem to be trying to make them do for some reason.

Share of targets (top 5 WR)
games 1-7
Beasley 37%
Hurns 23%
Gallup 19%
Thompson 13%
Austin 8%

games 8-18
Cooper 42%
Gallup 27%
Beasley 22%
Brown 6%
Hurns 3%

Kaiser

Reaction score
As a WR3, Beasley should not have been leading the team in targets. The fact that he was shows you that there was no real WR1 or WR2 at the time. That changed after the trade for Cooper and the improvement of Gallup, but none of these things reflect badly on Beasley, as you seem to be trying to make them do for some reason.

Exactly. I think Beasley attituded his way off the roster but when he really was the top option early in the season he couldn't beat double teams and take advantage of it. If you want to be the King, you have to perform like the King.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Beasley was at best the fourth option next year. And he wanted close to 10 mil per for that.
The dude had one good year and suddenly hes the savior we needed to keep.

Hes just a part time #3 wr and theres no reaons he shoulda caught 60 balls and got all those 1st downs no more snaps as he was playing. His ability to get open and move the chains as a spot player and not draw or run top slot wr routes were special. No rubs, pick plays, bunch formations, screens, slants etc just good ole comeback routes go line up and beat your guy kinda routes. Dont forget he led the team in open rates, converting 3rd downs and had 3tds even though hes not a featured red zone wr.

He'll catch 75 + balls if he gets more snaps. You cant just look at pure receptions without factoring snapcounts and how he was schemed. He made alot of gamewinning plays. Those kinda plays that the #2 wr and tes never make.

You comparing a possession wr to a #1 wr. Lol. He caught alot of high % balls for first downs. Dont forget Gallop had 27 more snaps than beasely and beasely caught about 27 more passes. Lol

Beasely is a top slot wr and a way better wr then Gallop by a long shot. They just dont feature slot wrs in big D. Slot wrs just get spot played. He got on his high horse and rode off to buffalo where he can run formations that slot wrs usually run and maybe get more snaps and opportunities to do something else besides be the hero on predictable spot plays.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Some peeps also project Cooper to be an 11 td a year wr if he played in dallas full time all year but he got 3tds against philly and never has broke the 7 td a year plateau all 4 years in the league. Lol. He prolly wont break 9 tds all year. 8 is my prediction. Prolly pad his stats against a nfc east team if he hits 9.

Cooper isnt worth any 16 million but we are thankful to have to overpay than to go without. Lol. Hes not that go up and get a ball 15 td alpha dog #1 wr like Ab either. 7 million for the shuck and duck slot guy converting on 3rd down is better than going without.

Beasely wanted to move teams. Hes a slot wr in a te dominated scheme. Of course he got more money and guarantees in the process i just dont think that was the only factor.

Last edited: