Taylor and Portis Fined??

Reaction score
LEAGUE WILL SOCK IT TO PORTIS, TAYLOR

Commanders running back Clinton Portis and safety Sean Taylor can expect to receive a letter this week from the league office requesting that they each make a generous contribution to a little charity known officially as the big pot of money into which player fines are deposited. (Or maybe it's the Human Fund.)

Both departed from the official team uniform by sporting non-uniform socks in Sunday night's game against the Eagles. Portis had a solid burgundy wrap over one calf that ended above a bare ankle, and a similar concoction on the other leg with gold and white horizontal stripes in the middle. Taylor's white socks had four sets of burgundy-and-gold stripes; everyone else (except Portis) had one.

Last year, Portis and Taylor pulled similar stunts in back-to-back games. Said Portis at the time, "That is a stupid fine for the simple fact that they want everybody to be the same. This is an individual game, you know. That is the thing that has the league being the No. 1 sport, because different personalities come together as one and people enjoyed that."

Both are subject to fines of $10,000, at a minimum. Given that they both previously have been fined twice and still apparently haven't gotten the message as to what is/isn't acceptable, the league has the ability to impose higher fines based on their specific circumstances.

The league also may impose a fine on the "team management and coaching staff" if it is determined that they have condoned or permitted the violation. Given that someone inside the locker room surely knew that Taylor and Portis were in non-conforming socks -- and that they'd done twice it before -- we wouldn't be surprised if someone gets their knuckles smacked for not smacking down Taylor and Portis, especially since the violations occurred in a nationally-televised game.

And we're not here to pass judgment on whether it makes sense to require complete and total uniformity. However, the rules are the rules. If guys like Portis and Taylor don't like it, they can try to find a professional football league that will not only pay them millions to play a game but also allow them to dress themselves in any manner that they see fit.

One last point. Our guess is that the NFL won't remind the media when issuing the fines to Portis and Taylor that Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer got a pass when committing his own uniform violation several weeks back by not wearing the "Futbol Americano" decal? Though the rules require in such cases a minimum fine of $5,000, the NFL (in our estimation) decided that what the Spanish-speaking world doesn't know won't hurt the league's effort to remove la leche from a cash cow named Juanita.

Individual game??? Since when?? (that's why the Commanders suck!)

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
they looked like clowns with their stupid socks.
i know they were saying to themselves
"yeah this right here looks pimp, lets do this homey"

DBoys

Reaction score
cowboys#1 said:
they looked like clowns with their stupid socks.
i know they were saying to themselves
"yeah this right here looks pimp, lets do this homey"

:lmao2:

Punk Thugs Bling Bling Werd Tu Ya Mutha

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally thought of Pipi Longstocking everytime I seen Taylor with those socks.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Thank goodness those two don't play for us. What I don't understand is why Gibbs didn't make them change their socks when he knows it's a violation of league rules and they've been cautioned about it before?

I used to think those rules were petty until I see the garb those two come up with. If it wasn't for the uniformity rules can you imagine what the league would look like?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikmaniac said:
Did anyone notice Taylor's facemask?

I noticed it last night, but I have noticed that before.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Thank goodness those two don't play for us. What I don't understand is why Gibbs didn't make them change their socks when he knows it's a violation of league rules and they've been cautioned about it before?

I used to think those rules were petty until I see the garb those two come up with. If it wasn't for the uniformity rules can you imagine what the league would look like?

The NBA. ;)

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
What else can you expect from players from "The U"? "It's an individual game, you know." Yep, that's "The U" all right, they should call it "The Me" because it's all about ME.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Like either of them really care about being fined.

Brian Westbrook wears and illegal face shield every game. Now I realize that he may have a medical exemption, but really whats the big deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Like either of them really care about being fined.

Brian Westbrook wears and illegal face shield every game. Now I realize that he may have a medical exemption, but really whats the big deal.

If they are willing to pay the fine then it is no big deal.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Good that the league addressed this.

Amazing that the Skins allowed it, ... it would be a good idea to fine the team on second violation.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
It was a bye week... what do u expect? :rolleyes:

Just wondering where the Chad Johnson thread on this topic was.

gallery051023-2.jpg

last week, he was the only guy wearing the little Bengals logo on his socks I believe.

superpunk

Reaction score
dallascowboysfan31 said:
This is an individual game, you know. That is the thing that has the league being the No. 1 sport, because different personalities come together as one and people enjoyed that."

Contradict yourself much, Clinton?

CowboysFan28

Reaction score
I just wonder if those ridiculous socks make Sean Taylor take those horrible angles on EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CowboysFan28 said:
I just wonder if those ridiculous socks make Sean Taylor take those horrible angles on EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

You must've got him mixed up with Roy Williams. Taylor is sooo much better. :rolleyes:

CooterBrown

Reaction score
The guys in the NFL office in New York are real busy right now on this very issue. They can[t give the Giants an extra home game for a uniform violation, but since it is a repeat offense, they are probably trying to figure out they can suspend Portis and Taylor for the game against the Giants.

jbsg02

Reaction score
Just wait for the day when they try to wear their Miami uniforms together