Twitter: Taysom Hill feared to have Mallet Finger

joseephuss

Reaction score
He was still making throws against us with that finger. The turnovers saved us in that game. An elite QB would’ve put up over 400 on us last night.

Some throws. Most throws weren't close. He completed only 46.3% of his throws and got one long play in garbage time. Dallas earned those turnovers and even without them, he wasn't a consistent threat as a passer. If he were an elite QB, Dallas would have adjusted the type of defense they used.

Rajveer

Reaction score
Good thing it was his finger and nothing else or he would be writing his own version of Kama Sutra.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
iu

OUCH!!! :confused: :omg: :eek: That's a lotta ugly, right there!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Otherwise known as Hammer Finger. The tendon at the furthest joint is damaged resulting in the tip hanging down. Surgery isn’t always required, just depends on the severity. It happened to me during a baseball game in College, healed on its own after a few weeks.

I had a couple of them playing goalie in soccer. Didn't really notice any pain, but easily noticed how I couldn't straighten out my finger. Just like you the injury healed on it's own. I think surgery is only really used if the tendon tears away from the bone where it is anchored or the bone itself is broken.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Mallet finger is an injury to the end of your finger that causes it to bend inwards towards your palm. You will not be able to straighten the end of your finger because the tendon connecting the muscle to the finger bone is stretched or torn.
straight from Dr. Risen

windjc

Reaction score

Uhmm, what's mallet finger?

I had this. But it did not require surgery. I had to wear a brace on the finger for 6 weeks and was not allowed to move the finger so that scar tissue could grow back where the tendon once was connected. I also had to go to hand therapy for 6 additional weeks.

Now the finger is fine and dandy.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
This is literally what Russell Wilson just recovered from.

I'm shocked Hill was able to complete the game at all and throw as well as he did (which admittedly wasn't great, but I'm surprised he was able to get anything on the ball).

I've had this as well, and while it isn't painful at all, the tip of the affected finger is totally useless until it heals. I immobilized mine and it took about 6-8 weeks to heal. Wilson had surgery and was out about 4 weeks if I remember correctly.