Twitter: TC Evening Practice Wrap-Up - 07/30/13

speedkilz88

Reaction score
“You would describe Doug as more of an athletic, finesse tackle,” Garrett said. “He has good length, he has good feet. The big thing for him is part of this game is being physical, being strong. He’s demonstrated that he can do that. He just has to do that on a more consistent basis. He knows that better than anybody else".

A finesse boxer, a finesse linebacker, those are just a couple more professions that you wouldn't want the title of finesse attached to.
I can't speak to Free's work ethic because I haven't heard anything either way but if that photo that he took at that charity event is any indication then he's not a gym rat.
Until Tyron was drafted, Free was slated for LT because he has great feet. He is not a "power" player but is more of a technician type blocker. Normally teams want "power" players at RT.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Please. The next negative thing I hear about Doug Free's work ethic and willingness to be a team player will be the first negative thing.

It's fine to not like a player for what he's unable to do on the field. Being 'disgusted' that he's on the team and assuming he doesn't put in any extra work 'like Tyron does' just because you haven't heard one way or another if he ever does courtesy of the Dallas media is nothing more than projecting your own disappointment with the players performance onto Doug Free as a person. And Jason Garrett did not call one of his players 'soft' by saying he needed to play with physicality. Jason Garrett would not have a player he thought was soft starting at OT for the Dallas Cowboys three years running when there were affordable options available.

I agree and the kicker is Free is having a very good camp. I don't like bad play from any player but if a guy is showing he is turning things around and improving then what is the beef? If Free is doing the job great but this non sense of pet cats people have or not liking a guy based on past performace while overlooking current improvement is just silly

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
read....

the always politically correct garrett is not going to flat out say he is soft but that is as close as it gets. he constantly talks about him needing to "play with more punch", "better anchor", "more physicality". this is code words for stop being a wuss.

and yes i believe i'm right in being disgusted that he's still here solely b/c we were financially strapped this year and we had too many other holes to fill. under normal circumstances, this waste of space would have been gone.

If this is as closeas it gets, then it just doesn't get very close. 'Finesse' is. Not code for 'wuss.' It's not code for anything. It means 'finesse.' If that's got you disgusted, in my opinion you're badly overreacting, and I'm probably not going to be able to change your opinion in such a state. So, we can agree to disagree.

I will say that I agree we're dangerously rolling the dice at OT again this year. I don't like it, either. It's a risk to get Free playing t an acceptable level, his backup is a bigger risk, and then we're out of options. One OT injury ande we're resorting to the waiver wire, potentially looking for someone with starting snaps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“You would describe Doug as more of an athletic, finesse tackle,” Garrett said. “He has good length, he has good feet. The big thing for him is part of this game is being physical, being strong. He’s demonstrated that he can do that. He just has to do that on a more consistent basis. He knows that better than anybody else".

A finesse boxer, a finesse linebacker, those are just a couple more professions that you wouldn't want the title of finesse attached to.
I can't speak to Free's work ethic because I haven't heard anything either way but if that photo that he took at that charity event is any indication then he's not a gym rat.

Which coach was it that referred to Barbie Carpenter as a finesse Linebacker?

Zordon

Reaction score
If this is as closeas it gets, then it just doesn't get very close. 'Finesse' is. Not code for 'wuss.' It's not code for anything. It means 'finesse.' If that's got you disgusted, in my opinion you're badly overreacting, and I'm probably not going to be able to change your opinion in such a state. So, we can agree to disagree.

I will say that I agree we're dangerously rolling the dice at OT again this year. I don't like it, either. It's a risk to get Free playing t an acceptable level, his backup is a bigger risk, and then we're out of options. One OT injury ande we're resorting to the waiver wire, potentially looking for someone with starting snaps.

Have you ever heard a tackle be referred to as "finesse"?

Staubacher

Reaction score
I was gonna defend Romo from the baby jokes, but it IS funny.

Here's mine - "they replaced my baby with a slippery one and I dropped him"

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I'm starting to like the idea of a lineup of Smith-Leary-Fred-Arkin-Free.

why on earth would you like this idea?

Smith, an unproven 22 year old LT with potential.
Leary, a 2nd year undrafted guard with no knees
Fred, an unproven rookie that was drafted far too high.
Arkin, hasn't played in a single regular season game, and has been considered absolute garbage up until this camp.
Free, a "finesse" RT that lacks power and speed to be anything above average.

I like the future that Smith and Fred give this O-line, but that's the only thing I like.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Arkin, hasn't played in a single regular season game, and has been considered absolute garbage up until this camp.

I like the future that Smith and Fred give this O-line, but that's the only thing I like.

Wow do you see everything negative in your life? Hate to be you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was gonna defend Romo from the baby jokes, but it IS funny.

Here's mine - "they replaced my baby with a slippery one and I dropped him"

That *does* make them harder to kick.

The jokes are all tongue in cheek. Romo's the man.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This isn't negative. This is reality.
2 out of the 5 people have futures on that o-line. The rest is patch made.

As are some of the best offensive lines in the league. All lines aren't filled with players of pedigree like the 49ers.

But you knew that right. Right?

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Ok one more and Im done. I promise.

073013_COWBOYS_CAMP_KMH_10.jpg

I wish there were more of Dez with his son. I cant find any??

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score

To be fair, I disagree with virtually everything you said.