TD celebration with or Against

Jay

Reaction score
Then why not turn your head and ignore it? Does it REALLY bother you that much?

I'm sorry, but if I were an Eagle fan when TO was doing the Eagle wave, I would have been loving it.

(I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit)

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
MSalz87 said:
T.O. didnt offend the Cowboys defense? The Fun Bunch wasnt broken up by the Dallas Defense?

Players do get offended and for the most part stay quiet. Currently, to use the skins as an example, Santana Moss doesnt do much in terms of celebration in the end zone. Other than the occasional leap into the stands, and strange jiggle he does whenever he scores a 1st down, he tries to keep it professional on the field. Clinton Portis however annoys me sometimes with celebrations like a Cartwheel, a weird dance, or pretending to be bringing a football back to life as he did last season. I would like to see the behavior of Moss and players like him to be the league standard rather than players like Portis, T.O. Chad Johnson, Joe Horn, etc.

Look at the NBA, everyone freaked out about the dress code thing but do they look more professional? Do they look more respectable?

I think so.

I was referring to the new Chad Johnson, Steve Smith Fun and Silliness Endzone Celebration Era. Proposing to your own team's cheerleader doesn't offend the defense. Rowing a boat? Giving out presents? Fake pirate swordfight? Riverdance? Changing the ball's diaper?

Do you guys remember Merton Hanks' crazy neck thing? He was a Niner and I hated them, but he cracked me up! TO on the star was disrespectful, and his Ray Lewis impersonation was too, but the rest, imo, is just all in good fun and should be allowed.

MSalz87

Reaction score
Jay said:
Hold up now.. there's a difference between TO's celebration in the middle of the star, and the other celebrations we're talking about. They aren't bashing any team..

Inform me, please--does it hurt the defense's feelings that Chad Johnson, upon scoring a TD, does a little irish jig? Or that Steve Smith pretends to have a sword fight with the ball?

If so, I thought these were men, and not little babies.

"Look at the NBA, everyone freaked out about the dress code thing but do they look more professional? Do they look more respectable?

I think so."

Apples and oranges! You're nuts, how is this even a basis for your argument? LOL

There is NO comparison between the two. If someone didn't follow the dress code, would they award the other team free throws? This has a chance to AFFECT THE GAME.

It has an effect on the image of the game which is what I was talking about above that statement in my post, and im my previous posts on this thread, just as dressing trashy in the NBA was thought to be dragging down their league's image, dancing around like a fool and taunting another team hurts the image of the NFL which was my point.

As for it changing the outcome of a game, that is pointless. All I can think of is a suspension hearing for a player doing a stupid end zone celebration. If Chad Johnson's team winning their next game is at risk instead of his large pocketbook, maybe he will think twice about teeing off on a football in the endzone.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
littlewebs said:
I was referring to the new Chad Johnson, Steve Smith Fun and Silliness Endzone Celebration Era. Proposing to your own team's cheerleader doesn't offend the defense. Rowing a boat? Giving out presents? Fake pirate swordfight? Riverdance? Changing the ball's diaper?

Do you guys remember Merton Hanks' crazy neck thing? He was a Niner and I hated them, but he cracked me up! TO on the star was disrespectful, and his Ray Lewis impersonation was too, but the rest, imo, is just all in good fun and should be allowed.

OMG I hated that...But he was a damn good player...

Jay

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
TO on the star was disrespectful, and his Ray Lewis impersonation was too, but the rest, imo, is just all in good fun and should be allowed.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

And yeah, Merton Hanks' celebration was hilarious. I remember him calling it the "big bird", cause he used to watch big bird with his kid and thought about what would happen if big bird flung his neck back and forth. :lmao:

But man oh man did I hate him! But of course, the only reason I hated him was because he was a Niner and it was out of respect, because he was a good player.

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
I think any player has the right to celebrate scoring points for their team. I mean, isn't that what football is all about? TO has to have his right to make a mockery of the opposing team because they can't cover him.

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
MSalz87 said:
It has an effect on the image of the game which is what I was talking about above that statement in my post, and im my previous posts on this thread, just as dressing trashy in the NBA was thought to be dragging down their league's image, dancing around like a fool and taunting another team hurts the image of the NFL which was my point.

As for it changing the outcome of a game, that is pointless. All I can think of is a suspension hearing for a player doing a stupid end zone celebration. If Chad Johnson's team winning their next game is at risk instead of his large pocketbook, maybe he will think twice about teeing off on a football in the endzone.

I think they're just considering a 15-yard penalty on the kickoff. No suspensions.

Jay

Reaction score
If we're going to kill all the emotion shown throughout the game, we should stop risking players' health and put robots out there.

MSalz87

Reaction score
littlewebs said:
I think they're just considering a 15-yard penalty on the kickoff. No suspensions.

Well if the threat was there for anything pre-planned and they had a hearing about it where it was discussed whether or not it was wrong- whether or not the player could be suspended, you would see a lot less of the stupid things going on. I am not saying to take all the emotion out of the game and play with robots, im just saying where is the emotion in a pre planned celebration??? If you made it up ahead of time, were you emotional because of a touchdown catch to take the lead before you knew it would happen? A player doing something like spiking the ball, pounding their chest a bit, jumping into the stands, maybe doing a quick little dance, those are the real emotional celebrations- not something some guy planned beforehand.

Jay

Reaction score
Yeah, because we all know Lambeau leaps aren't planned before. Give me a break.. we're gonna start attempting to sift out the pre-planned with the ones that aren't? That's just ridiculous..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe said:
As with many things in life, there has to be a balance.

Joe Horn's cell phone celebration was out of bounds, IMO.

I did like TO's pom-pon celebration.

I think what concerns the NFL is the pre-planned celebrations. And being proactive, the league wants to cut that out before something more egregious occurs.

I can understand the thinking behind the policy.

Yeah, like what TO will do at Philly when he scores, probably on a Monday night game. The league wants to cut if off. Not so much that it is TO, but also it's the Cowboys. Yet again another rule put in place because of a Dallas Cowboy :eek:
Let them dance, do the pom pom thing, do snow angels. Yes the Horn thing was way over done. TO's Sharpie thing was pretty cool. But I can see the rule of hiding things in your uniform and goal post, or wherever or the pylon deal. But no celebrating on the ground. That is rediculous.

How rules now, Emmitt, Erik Williams, Roy Williams, and now TO in way. Maybe Irvin, since they call the push off more now. Any others. Switzer, no hot dogs on the sideline :confused:

ghst187

Reaction score
funny how they address this after TO becomes a Cowboy.....

jem88

Reaction score
MSalz87 said:
Santana Moss doesnt do much in terms of celebration in the end zone. Other than the occasional leap into the stands, and strange jiggle he does whenever he scores a 1st down, he tries to keep it professional on the field.
God I wish he were a Cowboy! One of the coolest players in the league. He may not go into a 'routine', but he looks pretty cool when he scores. I agree with what Juke was saying earlier: if these guys had any wit or creativity, I'd have no problem- I used to love seeing the California Quake. But you get the sense some of these guys spend an inordinate amount of time planning celebrations that usually aren't that funny. I'll take Irvin's weird endzone strut (I don't even know how to articulate that routine) any day.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I little TD celebration isnt going to hurt anyone I swear some people get so BUtt Hurt over things it's not even funny. If you dont like it when a player celebrates and makes your Defense look like Crap then I say go out and stop him, It's as simple as that.

And why are people making such a big deal about T.O and the Star incident?lol So WHAT!!! Yea it hurt the Dallas COWBOY fans but I bet the Niner fans were loving it. It's all part of the game just get over it.

Like Jay said earlier in this thread, if you're going to take out all the emotion in a game just go out there and put Robots.:lmao: :lmao:

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Call me old school, but I love it when someone scores and acts like they've been there before.

Bring the crowd to their feet while playing the game, not acting like a clown.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's all entertainment. Fans showboat, fans scream and talk trash in the stands. Fans get drunk and ack like a**es around kids at the stadium, but it's not alright for the players to have fun and entertain the crowd? Pathetic.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
Call me old school, but I love it when someone scores and acts like they've been there before.

Bring the crowd to their feet while playing the game, not acting like a clown.
I see you have a race car in your sig. I guess when a nascar guy does donuts in the grass after winning isn't show boating huh?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I think celebrating in the endzone is fine no matter how as long as it is tasteful. I have no problem with someone pretending to golf, or spin the ball pretending to shoot it, or whatever....

I agree with whoever said before that what are they going to do about it? penalize the team yardage?
I mean come on, defenses can no longer hit a qb, db's can't even barely look at wrs anymore without being penalized, cannot take your helmut off on the field, dbs have only a certain way to tackle a off. guy with the ball legally (see horse collar rule), and now they want to penalize teams when players celebrate a td that they worked hard at getting?
NFL is starting to stand for No Fun League!

NFL needs to stop acting like a bunch of sissy girls and just let them play the game and have fun while doing it.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I see you have a race car in your sig. I guess when a nascar guy does donuts in the grass after winning isn't show boating huh?

That's celebrating after winning the game (or race), not after scoring a touchdown.

That would be like doing donuts after being the first out of the pits or when they make a pass for the lead.

BTW, not everyone does donuts after a victory just as not everyone changes the football's diaper after scoring a touchdown.