Video: TE is still a priority to me

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Charles Clay, Tyler Eifert, Jordan Reed, Luke Stocker, Geoff Swaim, Delanie Walker

So Geoff Swaim come on down? In all seriousness Walker, Divert, and Reed are all intriguing options. All are unemployed due to injury concerns, but would take a 1 year flyer on any of those 3.
Gordon Reed has been a terror for us. If he wasn't so dinged..him.

Swain maybe but prefer a rookie who can run.

I like Parham from the XFL.

Seem him?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
With the team signing Jarwin to a long-term contract, he is the team's new #1 starting TE. Due to lack of numbers, you would think they draft another at the position, probably in that late 2, early 3rd day range.
I would like that.

I want to go to a SB.

McCarthy has always had good TEs.

SSoup

Reaction score
These guys are big WRs. Guys may have to rethink what a TE responsibilities..the days of the blockers might be coming to an end.

These dudes got routes, and be slot WRs for DAL, but so could Jarwin. 2 TE sets could be effective in the passing game.
The whispers about whether Chase Claypool would convert to TE have definitely intrigued me. If he can keep his weight up at 240-ish and keep the athleticism, that's a unique weapon when it comes to matchups.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
These guys are big WRs. Guys may have to rethink what a TE responsibilities..the days of the blockers might be coming to an end.

These dudes got routes, and be slot WRs for DAL, but so could Jarwin. 2 TE sets could be effective in the passing game.
I agree with you.

Coupled with the league devaluing the RB position..

needing a TE for that becomes less required.

Most of the best TEs were not blockers.

Tony Gonzales for example.He lasted so long becuz he never blocked.

We need to get our heads on straight about the position.

And bring back Witten to coach the TEs after he is done in Vegas.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So when I look at positions of importance that are being bandaged on this team..

now that Witten has left the building, TE just seems glaring.

I just do not think signing Jarwin is nearly enough and while he got a 3 year deal, the details of his deal says it's voidable after the first year.

So I want to look at prospects to consider. The importance for Dak to have a TE with some thump just seems clear watching Dak for 4 seasons with Witten.Jason had like 65 catches for only 600 yds and 3 TDs.

With Cobb being gone, that's almost 900 yds.additionally missing.

More is needed.

I already mentioned in another thread about Parham from the XFL.

Let's get started. I will add more or you guys can add as well.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I agree no one is scared of Jarwin at this point and there's room to find a better TE than him.

I don't point out that Jarwin's a more effective weapon than Witten to make the case that we've solved the TE position and so now we can put it on cruise control.

I want them to keep turning over stones and improving the TE options. A scenario where Jarwin is back to being relegated to being our #2 TE but this time it's because someone legitimately better than him is our #1? That would be great.

I'm fine with looking for an upgrade for Jarwin but corner, right defensive end, and 3rd wide receiver are much bigger need imo.

SSoup

Reaction score
I want to go to a SB.

McCarthy has always had good TEs.
Ironically, McCarthy's Super Bowl came in the year when his only good TE was lost for the season a month into the year and his backups were so useless they couldn't outproduce him even when he'd only played a month. That's like if Tony Romo had finished 2015 as our passing yardage leader despite only playing 4 games.

Weirdly, the situation just about repeated itself a few years later when Jermichael Finley was again lost to an injury a month into the season. The team still had the same bad backup, Quarless, because apparently the G.M. hadn't learned anything from the 2010 season -- but this time, he managed to get 12 more yards than Finley to top him on the leaderboard at the TE position.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ironically, McCarthy's Super Bowl came in the year when his only good TE was lost for the season a month into the year and his backups were so useless they couldn't outproduce him even when he'd only played a month. That's like if Tony Romo had finished 2015 as our passing yardage leader despite only playing 4 games.

Weirdly, the situation just about repeated itself a few years later when Jermichael Finley was again lost to an injury a month into the season. The team still had the same bad backup, Quarless, because apparently the G.M. hadn't learned anything from the 2010 season -- but this time, he managed to get 12 more yards than Finley to top him on the leaderboard at the TE position.
Hmm..

Interesting.

Give me Parham.

I could be very happy.

Here is another pretty face at TE..

Last edited:

SSoup

Reaction score
I'm fine with looking for an upgrade for Jarwin but corner, right defensive end, and 3rd wide receiver are much bigger need imo.
Agreed, they're bigger needs. But also, we don't possess a magic wand that enables us to make the draft fall in a way so that it aligns with our positional preferences. If a TE who McCarthy and Kellen Moore both love and are excited about him as a weapon falls to us at a point where we'd have to badly reach for someone at a position of need, I'd rather go with the better player instead of forcing it with the worse guy. We've been down the "forcing it" route too many times in drafts over the years and it almost always goes hilariously wrong.

Also, Kelce was a 3rd rounder and Kittle was a 5th rounder. I'm not saying I want to spend our top pick there. It's perfectly plausible to find TE weapons in the middle rounds.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Big Mc, being a tight end in college, puts a lot of responsibility on the position. He is quoted as saying (while with the Packers),

"“The tight end position in this offense is difficult,” McCarthy said per Ryan Wood of PackersNews.com. “I think that goes understated, frankly. The tight end position, outside of the quarterback and the center and guards, the volume of responsibility is significant. Obviously, they have run-game responsibility. They’re multiple position players, so they have formation variation responsibility. So with that, they have characteristic traits being in the backfield, being out of the backfield, being extended as a receiver, and then obviously the pass game, route running and route-running principle responsibilities."

Likely not the last we'll hear about this position. Remember McCarthy also liked the Jumbo set in Green Bay.

Familiar name to Dallas fans is on the market. Geoff Swaim was released by the Jags (to save 3.7 mill).
Nice find here.

Thanx.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Draft Chase Claypool and use him as a slot/TE/WR hybrid...two needs one pick.

Batman1980

Reaction score
We need a true #1 receiving weapon who can body up on balls and go get it even against double coverage. It's possible that guy is a huge TE with speed and good hands.