Video: TE is still a priority to me

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its just foolish to spend resources on tight end when you have your starter and you have Schultz. If that's not enough that's on the Cowboys. But they invested enough into that position at this point. Time to actually focus on real needs.

jnday

Reaction score
Big Mc, being a tight end in college, puts a lot of responsibility on the position. He is quoted as saying (while with the Packers),

"“The tight end position in this offense is difficult,” McCarthy said per Ryan Wood of PackersNews.com. “I think that goes understated, frankly. The tight end position, outside of the quarterback and the center and guards, the volume of responsibility is significant. Obviously, they have run-game responsibility. They’re multiple position players, so they have formation variation responsibility. So with that, they have characteristic traits being in the backfield, being out of the backfield, being extended as a receiver, and then obviously the pass game, route running and route-running principle responsibilities."

Likely not the last we'll hear about this position. Remember McCarthy also liked the Jumbo set in Green Bay.

Familiar name to Dallas fans is on the market. Geoff Swaim was released by the Jags (to save 3.7 mill).
I never thought GB used the TEs fir much more than an oversized WR. I think MM will like Harwin for that reason.

jnday

Reaction score
Its just foolish to spend resources on tight end when you have your starter and you have Schultz. If that's not enough that's on the Cowboys. But they invested enough into that position at this point. Time to actually focus on real needs.
The jury is still out in Jarwin being a starter in this league. They signed him to a nice contract, but he has not beaten anybody out to have the starters position. It is going to be handed to him. He was a good role player in certain situations, but that is a long ways from being a solid starter. He doesn’t have anybody to compete with on the roster. Schultz looks like a career backup at best. Dallas definitely needs to find one more TE in FA or the draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The jury is still out in Jarwin being a starter in this league. They signed him to a nice contract, but he has not beaten anybody out to have the starters position. It is going to be handed to him. He was a good role player in certain situations, but that is a long ways from being a solid starter. He doesn’t have anybody to compete with on the roster. Schultz looks like a career backup at best. Dallas definitely needs to find one more TE in FA or the draft.
Schultz was a 4th round pick. That’s enough competition for him. They’ve used enough resources on that position. Maybe sign a 3rd one someone for a minimum deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So when I look at positions of importance that are being bandaged on this team..

now that Witten has left the building, TE just seems glaring.

I just do not think signing Jarwin is nearly enough and while he got a 3 year deal, the details of his deal says it's voidable after the first year.

So I want to look at prospects to consider. The importance for Dak to have a TE with some thump just seems clear watching Dak for 4 seasons with Witten.Jason had like 65 catches for only 600 yds and 3 TDs.

With Cobb being gone, that's almost 900 yds.additionally missing.

More is needed.

I already mentioned in another thread about Parham from the XFL.

Let's get started. I will add more or you guys can add as well.

We just spent on Jarwin, and locked him up for years. He's the starter. We likely bring in other guys to develop. Maybe a blocking TE. But I see this as a low priority, low spend position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Schultz was a 4th round pick. That’s enough competition for him. They’ve used enough resources on that position. Maybe sign a 3rd one someone for a minimum deal.

Schultz blows. He was just a bad pick. And he's more in the mold of the past, a Witten style guy, but without Witten's former athleticism.

I agree that they won't be bringing in any significant competition for Jarwin. They won't spend, but they will bring in at least 2 to fill out the roster. I could see up to 4 if they're thinking about dumping Schultz.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Schultz blows. He was just a bad pick. And he's more in the mold of the past, a Witten style guy, but without Witten's former athleticism.

I agree that they won't be bringing in any significant competition for Jarwin. They won't spend, but they will bring in at least 2 to fill out the roster. I could see up to 4 if they're thinking about dumping Schultz.
Bring in however many they need to just as long as they don’t spend much money on it or draft capital.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I agree.

You put it differently than I did but you are right.

The job is now handed to him with Witten gone.

And we all agree, Witten was downhill sliding.

So if he could not beat an aged Witten..

What the hey?

Swain was ahead of Jarwin and he's a FA again.

I hope we are not just playing more games with the position.

Dallas signed Jarwin for 3 yrs but the contract says it can be ended after 1 year.

So even the team knows it ain't certain with Jarwin.

We will watch and see what MM does.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We just spent on Jarwin, and locked him up for years. He's the starter. We likely bring in other guys to develop. Maybe a blocking TE. But I see this as a low priority, low spend position.
Darwin's contract apparently is 3 years but voidable after first year.

That is not job security nor solidifying a position to me.

More like a one year rental with an option to buy or move on.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I never thought GB used the TEs fir much more than an oversized WR. I think MM will like Harwin for that reason.
Yeah..

But I sure saw Rodgers kill us twice with huge throws to their TEs.

So MM whatever..the TEs in the Pack offense are damn dangerous at times.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Hmmm..

You think a 4th rd draft pick and signings former FA is spending alot on the position?

Really?

Jarwin has not outplayed anybody to win the position at all.

I would like some real competition besides Schultz and Swaim.

What we have is plenty of nothing at the position to me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So when I look at positions of importance that are being bandaged on this team..

now that Witten has left the building, TE just seems glaring.

I just do not think signing Jarwin is nearly enough and while he got a 3 year deal, the details of his deal says it's voidable after the first year.

So I want to look at prospects to consider. The importance for Dak to have a TE with some thump just seems clear watching Dak for 4 seasons with Witten.Jason had like 65 catches for only 600 yds and 3 TDs.

With Cobb being gone, that's almost 900 yds.additionally missing.

More is needed.

I already mentioned in another thread about Parham from the XFL.

Let's get started. I will add more or you guys can add as well.

Zeke is the one that needs at least 2 blocking te’s.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Darwin's contract apparently is 3 years but voidable after first year.

That is not job security nor solidifying a position to me.

More like a one year rental with an option to buy or move on.

4 year contract starting this year. What's the point of voidable?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/blake-jarwin-22155/
Contract Notes:
  • $6.25M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2020 salary)
  • $3M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (injury guaranteed now)
  • 2021-2023 Per Game 46-Man Active Bonus: $46,875 ($750,000)

He's UFA in 2024.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hmmm..

You think a 4th rd draft pick and signings former FA is spending alot on the position?

Really?

Jarwin has not outplayed anybody to win the position at all.

I would like some real competition besides Schultz and Swaim.

What we have is plenty of nothing at the position to me.
You just gave Jarwin 30 million. Plus the 4th you spent on Schultz? That’s enough. I get it. Everyone wants to find that George Kittle or Tracis Kelce. I get it. This isn’t the year to do it though. Shore up this defense.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You just gave Jarwin 30 million. Plus the 4th you spent on Schultz? That’s enough. I get it. Everyone wants to find that George Kittle or Tracis Kelce. I get it. This isn’t the year to do it though. Shore up this defense.
Hey..

I am just a geeky fan.

Opinionated granted.

Then let's start alternating Schultz and Jarwin and get both contributing.

Typical of this team, last year when they brought back Witten (who I love) they stated it was to share snaps.

But shortly he was on 70% of the snaps and nobody else played.

I do not want that again. We have to play the position smarter.

That's my gripe. I feel the coaching change helps.

The proof is on Sundays in October. Not weekdays in the offseason.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's not like his numbers last year were an anomaly to explain away. They are what they are. He's been getting worse for awhile.

After a long stretch (2004 through 2014) where he was a bizarrely consistent 11-point-something yards per catch guy, age caught up with him and he started his tumble. He went from getting 11-something per catch to a couple years of 9-something and then a season finally down in the 8's. At which point he accepted he was no longer a good enough player to keep doing this and he retired. But because he was so bad at his post-retirement career pursuit, he came back and his average dipped even lower to 8.4 yards per catch.

I think Jason would've had more value if we stuck to the original plan to limit his snap count. First off, it would've lessened the workload for his body and his slow wheels, so he could pick and choose his spots a bit better and stay fresher. Might've kept his average from falling so pitifully low. Maybe he could've kept it up in the high 8's or even back up into the 9's if he had fresher legs and spent less time fighting with people in a blocking role he's no longer good at anyway. But also, the young TE who should've been starting would have benefited from getting to try on the starting role while he still had Witten around to pick his brain and benefit from his guidance. If we had stuck to the original plan to limit his snaps, I think Witten would've been more effective when he did play and our offense would have benefited from having the better player on the field more.

The Raiders, by the way, have a 27-year old TE who gave them 1100 yards and 12+ yards per catch last year. They have even less use for Witten as a #1 TE than we do.

Which means they signed him because they see what I see, that Witten's actual value--and it's not insubstantial--is almost entirely as a lockerroom leader (so anyone who cares to learn can observe and see how he conducts himself in the gym and in the weight room and in the film room and during practices) who offers guidance for the superior young TE starting ahead of him. And occasionally he gets to get in there as a backup TE in 2-TE packages or heavy goalline packages and see if he can tack on a handful of touchdowns to his career total.

$5 mill a year for a locker room leader? Maybe, but that $5 mil represents about 10% of the Raiders available space at the start of 2020, don't see Gruden being that wasteful, but then nobody said every NFL gm/coach is that smart....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Cowboys tight ends currently on the roster: Jarwin, Schultz and Hikutini.

That's it. What happens if Jarwin or Shultz gets hurt? Think a 240 lb never-played-a-down-in-the-NFL HIkutini can fill either of the other two's shoes?

Not saying draft a te in the first couple of rounds, but they need at least one more, and it can't be another Hikutini or Witten, he's got to have some real skills.

Jarwin and Schultz are not enough...