CFZ TE Luke Schoonmaker vs Jake Ferguson

quickccc

Reaction score
I've been from podcasts to podcasts, article reads, TV spots,..but i still haven't comprehend why exactly did the Cowboys
felt they just had to draft a TE high in their liking,- despite having two promising young TEs in Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot.

Why did we have to draft a TE that early as the 2nd round, with those two in the mix ?

Do the Cowboys see Fergy and Shot as too lacking in blocking to be TE1 and TE2 ?

What exactly does Schoon possess as a player,... that Ferguson does not ?

Schoon ?
While I've heard and read about his blocking prowess, that’s great asset.
But frankly, I am far more interest in his receiving skills that impacts the passing game.

Imo, you don’t draft a TE as high and early as a 2nd round for his blocking.

You can get the Shawn McKeon’s and James Hanna’s for that.
You can acquire cheap vet FA tight ends for that. ala Blake Bell types.
Those types are not game changing difference makers

- There would have to be something exceptional , something special - about Schoon's receiving skills that warrants drafting him
as high as the 2nd round.

- Despite playing for a well-known ex-NFL coach in Jim Harbaugh, maybe Schoon was not in a scheme that best emphasized and stood out his receiving skills.
I fully admit that I have full Mark Andrews/ George Kettle aspirations and expectations for Schoon.
Drafted in the 2nd round … he had better at least be like Philly TE Dallas Goedert, imo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Schoonmaker pick is a head scratcher but they chose him because he’s an elite blocker and his testing shows he has high upside in the receiving department.

Imo, he’s a very fluid athlete and he’s great and finding windows and just runs very smooth.

What I don’t like is once he catches the ball it’s like all that athleticism disappears and he just falls to the ground or goes down super easy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been from podcasts to podcasts, article reads, TV spots,..but i still haven't comprehend why exactly did the Cowboys
felt they just had to draft a TE high in their liking,- despite having two promising young TEs in Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot.

Why did we have to draft a TE that early as the 2nd round, with those two in the mix ?

Do the Cowboys see Fergy and Shot as too lacking in blocking to be TE1 and TE2 ?

Schoon ?
But frankly, I am far more interest in his receiving skills that impacts the passing game.

- There would have to be something exceptional , something special - about Schoon's receiving skills that warrants drafting him

- Despite playing for a well-known ex-NFL coach in Jim Harbaugh, maybe Schoon was not in a scheme that best emphasized and stood out his receiving skills.
I fully admit that I have full Mark Andrews/ George Kettle aspirations and expectations for Schoon.
Drafted in the 2nd round … he had better at least be like Philly TE Dallas Goedert, imo.
Mark Andrews was 1st team All Pro in 2021 and has been to more than 1 Pro Bowl in his 5 year career...

Goedert in his 5 year career has not been to a Pro Bowl and never voted All Pro...

Ekspozed

Reaction score

Schoon ?

He's faster, quicker, a better blocker.

If you listen to MM and how they will use him it sounds like he thinks Luke can do more than ferg and henny

blueblood70

Reaction score

Schoon ?

no, thats your expectation, from what ive heard, read, and videos watched hes an upgraded version of schultz; better blocker but still great hands and can move the chains.. also heard he never played with an accurate or good QB so he had to have huge catch radius and stop routes to catch those balls.. he sounds like hes got potential and that all i need to know..the rest will happen on the field,

he not a new school; TE hes closer to the old school Jwitt type , steady reliable and productive but doesn't have the pretty skillset fans want. Like those that said trade the draft for Pitts..lol this Kid was taken LOWWWWWW 2nd round nearly 3rd much like all our pics being bottom 8-10 in every round, so expecting him to be the next kittle is on you and a bit exaggerated. if hes as good or Better then Schultz, that's a positive. given it took Dalton a few years to hone his skills so Schoon floor is Shultz. ill take it overpaying 10mil for Dalton( 3 for less ) we now hove a healthy competition at TE from 3 players. maybe 2 could be the 1-2 punch say Ertz and Goedert had or back when NE had a young 2 headed monster before one got arrested. that what im seeing as to the why they drafted him..
who knows maybe all 3 are all productive like when 3 WRs nearly get 1k but none get 1800-2k and we think wow maybe these 3 at first are close to 600 yards and 5 tds each,. one could only hope or at least imagine.

quickccc

Reaction score
Mark Andrews was 1st team All Pro in 2021 and has been to more than 1 Pro Bowl in his 5 year career...

Goedert in his 5 year career has not been to a Pro Bowl and never voted All Pro...
Our own Brandin Cooks has compiled 1,000 yrd seasons in his years than a number of star-studded WRs, and he's a bona fide playmaker,
yet he himself also has never made All pro or Pro Bowl either.

John813

Reaction score
I don't mind going round 2 for T.E.

While I thought LaPorta was the best of the bunch he went early. I know Kraft was from a D-2 school so the question of him adapting to the NFL/speed/size is a valid one but did like that reports called him a big back once he had the ball in his hands.

Hoping Schoon pans out obviously, but thought there were some with a higher ceiling still on the board at the position.
Thinking Ferguson may still be the starter this year due to him going through the ringer of adapting to what's needed from a T.E. in the NFL.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not super high on the pick since I believe he likely would have been there in the 3rd, but I see the upside. His test scores are off the charts and he has a prototypical NFL tight end frame. As a blocker, he will be a significant improvement over what we have got and has shown to really be able to move people on the edge. He can immediately contribute in that way. As a receiver, he's got good hands and his top-tier athleticism allows him to get open. At Michigan he didn't get a ton of opportunity (as most college tight ends don't) so there is reason to think with an NFL passing volume he could become a weapon.

At the very least, I think he's a lock to be a fine player for Dallas with the upside to become a great one.

Tight end is one of the most difficult positions to grade and project since the way they are used in college really is as a blocker first and receiver second. Passing volumes are also lower than in the NFL typically so there are less chances for a TE to show what he might be able to do at the next level. I believe this may be why so many elite tight ends have been mid to late round picks while so many top prospects have flopped.

With Fergie, Hendershot, and Schoonmaker the TE position is pretty much in a good spot for the next 3-4 years which is nice to know. It is one less piece of the puzzle that will need put together.

goshan

Reaction score
Schoonmaker pick is a head scratcher but they chose him because he’s an elite blocker and his testing shows he has high upside in the receiving department.

Imo, he’s a very fluid athlete and he’s great and finding windows and just runs very smooth.

What I don’t like is once he catches the ball it’s like all that athleticism disappears and he just falls to the ground or goes down super easy.
Don't think he has much balance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Don't think he has much balance.
I think he’s protecting himself or he’s been coached to get down quick.

Maybe you’re right though.

Just odd that one of the best athletes we’ve seen at TE has no balance haha.

quickccc

Reaction score

In the few "highlight" reels i've seen of Schoon, that's what i've seen too. One tackle and he's down.
But I'll wait until he gets much more exposure and coach up at the NFL level to see how/if he advances and shows more beyond that at the college level .

- I'm anxious to see Schoon's potential run after catch ability and separation skills at the NFL level.
McCarthy has stated his recent comments about Schoonmaker:
He runs better than probably we give him credit for. His vertical presence, we think we can really build off of that. Very, very well-rounded. And that’s what you’re looking for. As a play caller and a game-plan designer, these tight ends give you the chance to get in and out of different personnel groups and stay creative, be able to attack both in the one-back, two-back and no-back offense.

- We've already seen and experienced glimpses and flashes of Jake Ferguson's YAC and athleticism in the pass game, from high hurdle leap over defenders
to make 'em miss open field whiffs. Admittedly that's what had me excited about his future as a receiving TE.
But apparently that wasn't enuff, ..and the Cowboys wanted far more to be so determined to draft a TE very early.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Schoon ?

In order to understand the pick we first need to be honest with ourselves.

The Truths:

1. We haven’t seen Shoonmaker play. We have no idea who he is.

2. Cowboys know how to draft. They’ve proven it time again after we doubted them.

3. This team did not like Torrence as much as everyone else did.

4. They saw Ferguson and Hendershot as worse than Schultz last season….they let Schultz walk and felt they needed to replace him.

5. He comes from a pro style offense. Here able to be a contributor as soon as he walks through the door.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Hoping Schoon can step in and play right away. We are going to a quick release west coast style Offense that I hope is run heavy. We will want blocking players at TE and RB also. I think Elliot will be back on a cheaper contract. But we also picked up a undrafted RB that is supposed to block well and is very physical. Going to be a interesting year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I have explained this before the draft.

Ferguson was an R4 who had concussion issues last year.
He was pretty much non-existent late in year.
Hendershot was an UDFA that lacks size and athleticism.

Schoon has size and athleticism galore.

But Dallas was always in market for a TE that could play (and block) year 1.

The question was never will Dallas draft a TE but would be it in R1 or not.

Fans have attributed some mythical status to the 2nd year TEs that are really just not warranted yet.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think we are looking at it the wrong way. It isn't as much about Schoon vs Ferg vs Hendershot, but rather what personnel MM wants to play with. We are now 3 deep in athletic TEs who can be at least average as both receivers and blockers. TE is the ultimate position that can cover up flaws in other areas on offense. Oline struggling in pass pro? Keep a TE in to block or let them release late. Struggling with receiving depth? You now have multiple TEs that can move into the slot. Want to prioritize the run game without making it obvious you're going to run the ball? Use dual-threat TEs. I sense a whole lot of 12 Personnel in 2023. They played 2,3, and even 4 TE sets pretty frequently in 2022 so it really shouldn't look radically different this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In order to understand the pick we first need to be honest with ourselves.

The Truths:

1. We haven’t seen Shoonmaker play. We have no idea who he is.

2. Cowboys know how to draft. They’ve proven it time again after we doubted them.

3. This team did not like Torrence as much as everyone else did.

4. They saw Ferguson and Hendershot as worse than Schultz last season….they let Schultz walk and felt they needed to replace him.

5. He comes from a pro style offense. Here able to be a contributor as soon as he walks through the door.
No one liked Torrance as much as fans and draftniks.
Fans feel as if he fell and was a steal when in reality scouts didn't love him.

Toro9

Reaction score
Teams used to take blocking TEs early somewhat often. Anthony Becht and Benjamin Watson come to mind, but I don't remember any others in the last 15-20 years. It's rare nowadays. 12 personnel must be a big part of the plan.

Sandyf

Reaction score
IMO, fans are missing quite a bit on Schoonmaker. Yes, he is the best blocking TE we have had in a number of years. The current ones and including past ones had to be trained in blocking. If you watch the games and some of the tape, where Schoon stands out is not just blocking but in picking up the blitz, able to get to the outside blitzing corner or safety which is very important in the passing game. In the passing game he was always able to get open or make the tough catch.

He also catches well and has shown he can break tackles. Fans complain because he doesn't have the stats. Any of you watch the Michigan games? Michigan had 970 offense plays in 2022 of which only 370 were passes. J.J. McCarthy was the main QB as a sophomore and not a great passer by any means. They ran the ball and ran it well. Schoon was targeted 52 times and caught 35 for a little over 400 yards, some 11 yards per catch.

When we drafted Jason Witten, in the third round, his senior year he had 39 catches and 493 yards, 12.6 yards per catch. What was he known for in college, his blocking and intelligence to pick up blitz and get open and make the tough catch. So if Schoon would have had possibly a better QB and an offense that featured the pass, so stats might be better.

The point is that IMO, we got another potential Jason Witten and I for one am very good with that happening.