Team loss ??

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
After reading through all of the posts since the game, can we come to the conclusion, or come to an agreement that it was a "team loss".

Some want to blame the defense for the 43 TD drive at the end of the half.
Some blame the defense for missed tackles.
Some want to blame the offense for only putting up 3 second half pts, .. 17 total.
Some blame Crayton for his drop & lazyness at the end.
Some blame Romo for missing T.O.
Some blame Fasano.
Some blame the play-calling.
Some blame the HC for giving them 3 days off.
Some blame the special teams for poor kickoff coverage and the big punt return.

So that about includes everyone, .. offense, defense, special teams, & coaching.

So the old adage holds true, you win as a team and you lose as a team.

This was a team loss, .. let's move on and hopefully we find ways to correct the problems, and improve the roster through the draft and FA.

And we can try it all again next year.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1910994 said:
After reading through all of the posts since the game, can we come to the conclusion, or come to an agreement that it was a "team loss".

Some want to blame the offense for only putting up 3 second half pts, .. 17 total.

So that about includes everyone, .. offense, defense, special teams, & coaching.

This was a team loss, .. let's move on and hopefully we find ways to correct the problems, and improve the roster through the draft and FA.

The first rule of business. All blame floats to the top. Wade was the coach and it's the coach job to get it done. Thats why Jerry hired him in the first place.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yes, just about everyone screwed up at one point or another.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree it was a team loss from Wade, members of the staff and the players

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
nyc;1910998 said:
The first rule of business. All blame floats to the top. Wade was the coach and it's the coach job to get it done. Thats why Jerry hired him in the first place.

Im definately not on the Wade Phillips bandwagon but at the end of the day, he cannot make Patrick Crayton catch, Jacques Reeves cover and the OL block better.

There are other reasons I am not on his bandwagon, but the aforementioned is not is fault.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Too bad we couldn't get close enough for a second FG sometime in the second half. Just think if we had been in the position for Nick Folk to come in for a game-winning FG, down 21-20 instead of 21-17.

:eek:

Wait a minute... maybe that wouldn't have been such a good thing...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1911011 said:
Im definately not on the Wade Phillips bandwagon but at the end of the day, he cannot make Patrick Crayton catch, Jacques Reeves cover and the OL block better.

There are other reasons I am not on his bandwagon, but the aforementioned is not is fault.

I'm not saying it's Wade fault Crayton dropped the pass, but it is Wade's fault for not having the team better prepared. The last four weeks of the season, the team played without discipline. That is in direct correlation to Wade Phillips coaching style.

While it's correct that it's the players responsibility to be ready to play, as the man in charge. It's Wade Phillips job to ensure the Cowboys ARE ready to play.

For instance, when I'm working on a project; I have several team members doing specific jobs. I expect them to do their job correctly, but it is my job to make sure everything is done correctly. If something screws up it could cost millions. When they start looking for someone to blame. There not going to look at a single team member, there going to look at me because it was my job to ensure the job was done correctly.

SacredStar

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1911007 said:
I agree it was a team loss from Wade, members of the staff and the players

Same here.

What hurts is that this year was the year to capitalize on the weak teams in the NFC. There were only a handful of good teams in the NFC....Dallas, NY, Green Bay, and Seattle. The rest of the NFC had a down year, especially teams who were predicted to be good like Philadelphia, New Orleans, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.

I think next season will be a lot harder for Dallas to compete simply because there will probably be more better teams in the NFC.

This was the year to seize the moment and Dallas failed to do that.

Boysboy

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1911011 said:

I agree-while I think Wade deserves alot of the blame, I'm starting to question the MENTALITY of these players.

We're making alot of the same blunders this year, especially the playoff game, like we did under Parcells. Whether it's undisciplined play to poor ST coverage to dropped passes to pretty much everything.

Oh-Parcells said he DOESN'T coach penalties, while Wade says he DOES. Just FYI.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SacredStar;1911039 said:
Same here.

What hurts is that this year was the year to capitalize on the weak teams in the NFC. There were only a handful of good teams in the NFC....Dallas, NY, Green Bay, and Seattle. The rest of the NFC had a down year, especially teams who were predicted to be good like Philadelphia, New Orleans, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.

I think next season will be a lot harder for Dallas to compete simply because there will probably be more better teams in the NFC.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think this was a freak season and now it is over, I think this team will be back. I think we have some very good talent and I expect these guys will take a little time off and go right back to work for next season. I think our window of opportunity is still wide-open.

Boysboy

Reaction score
SacredStar;1911039 said:
Same here.

Well welcome to the NEW NFL-in recent preseason years, teams that were picked to make noise ended up stinking it up, while teams that were picked to stink it up did the opposite.

Last I checked, 95% of the pundits had the Eagles/Saints as a LOCK for the NFC Title game, while the same guys also predicted the Gints to suck wind so bad, that Coughlin was a shoe-in to get fired by Halloween. Oh-the Packers were only supposed to be an 8-8 team this year. We also forgot to mention that the Niners were supposed to be a "powerhouse" this year b/c of all the new "additions" they made.

So you say we won't do well next year b/c all those teams you mentioned above, as well as the rest of the NFC, will be rocking? Yah-just wait 'till next year to find out if this is really the case.

aikemirv

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1910994 said:

It was a team loss in the aspect that there were a lot of mistakes by individuals cost us field position and first downs and missed tackles. We could have won by double digits.

On the other hand 1 players lack of concentration and effort on one play with 16 seconds left cost us the game period!

Boysboy

Reaction score
aikemirv;1911091 said:
It was a team loss in the aspect that there were a lot of mistakes by individuals cost us field position and first downs and missed tackles. We could have won by double digits.

On the other hand 1 players lack of concentration and effort on one play with 16 seconds left cost us the game period!

Heh-this was alot like the NE/SD playoff game last year-there was ONE key play that decided the entire game...that fumbled INT by that SD DB(he SHOULD have just dropped to the ground afterwards, but he thought he had to be some hero) was alot like that Crayton miscue at the end last week.

Yeah-there were MANY reasons why the Chargers lost-whether it was a ton of dropped passes to a bone-headed Drayton Florence PF that netted the Pats 3 pts to Wade going to prevent mode on the Pats' 2 minute 1st half TD to Cam Cameron's horrible, pass happy playcalling in the 4th to etc.

But that ONE play stood out. Oh-Wade and Brian were on the SD that fateful day.:(

SacredStar

Reaction score
Boysboy;1911090 said:
So you say we won't do well next year b/c all those teams you mentioned above, as well as the rest of the NFC, will be rocking? Yah-just wait 'till next year to find out if this is really the case.

I didn't say Dallas wouldn't do well next year. I suggested that it will probably be harder to duplicate a 13-3 season as there will probably be more teams that are better next year and the competition may be tougher.

"Probably" and "may be" are key words here, I'm just disappointed they didn't take care of business this year.

I am still confident they can TCB next season.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Boysboy;1911103 said:
Heh-this was alot like the NE/SD playoff game last year-there was ONE key play that decided the entire game...that fumbled INT by that SD DB(he SHOULD have just dropped to the ground afterwards, but he thought he had to be some hero) was alot like that Crayton miscue at the end last week.

Yeah-there were MANY reasons why the Chargers lost-whether it was a ton of dropped passes to a bone-headed Drayton Florence PF that netted the Pats 3 pts to Wade going to prevent mode on the Pats' 2 minute 1st half TD to Cam Cameron's horrible, pass happy playcalling in the 4th to etc.

But that ONE play stood out. Oh-Wade and Brian were on the SD that fateful day.:(

Well that is one lesson Wade should have learned from last year that he did not and that is a shame!!

(prevent at end of the half is what I am talking about)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
nyc;1911029 said:
I'm not saying it's Wade fault Crayton dropped the pass, but it is Wade's fault for not having the team better prepared. The last four weeks of the season, the team played without discipline. That is in direct correlation to Wade Phillips coaching style.

While it's correct that it's the players responsibility to be ready to play, as the man in charge. It's Wade Phillips job to ensure the Cowboys ARE ready to play.

For instance, when I'm working on a project; I have several team members doing specific jobs. I expect them to do their job correctly, but it is my job to make sure everything is done correctly. If something screws up it could cost millions. When they start looking for someone to blame. There not going to look at a single team member, there going to look at me because it was my job to ensure the job was done correctly.

NYC, you have to deal with a couple of issues. First and foremost, Jerry Jones, GM and Owner of our beloved Dallas Cowboys has already made the decision to bring Wade Phillips back.

Secondly, you have to view this recent occurrence from a historical perspective. The Dallas Cowboys have not won anything of any real value in about 12 Seasons. For several seasons, they have also been guilty of playing their worst football in the month of december. Does a new coach really come in and change that history of being losers, a Future Hall of Fame coach even struggled to get his head around the issue?

There are other things that concern my about Wade Phillips. The loss in the Playoffs, I will admit is one of them, but not the biggest problem I have with him.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
When a team wins, does every aspect of that team play well? NO! The reality is some players elevate their play or play well enough to compensate for weaker areas of the team. That's occurred in our wins this year. Do we pay every player equally? NO! We pay players according to their importance and value they present to the team. The QB is the most important position on the team. Could we have won this game had Romo played better..ABSOLUTUTELY!

Look you can use p.c. terms and say it was a "team loss" but had Romo done his job, we would have won this game. And it's his job not to committ those types of mistakes. He is our leader, our QB, our highest paid player and for him to make those easily avoidable mistakes in the 4th quarter like not throwing it away to avoid the sack or not knowing you would get an intentional grounding call on that careless pass or not using your feet to make plays when the defense was giving you open running lanes is inexcusable. He just made costly decisions in the 4th quarter. No, it was not the offensive line's fault. The receivers were running deep routes and the Giants played cover 3 which meant the short middle of the field was open. Romo should have exploited that and ran for the first down or made plays with his feet. Instead, he sat back in the pocket and allowed the blitz to eventually sack him. People blamed our offensive line in that situation but it wasn't their fault. Romo's reaction was what was at fault. It's bad enough he didn't make plays with his feet then but he did worse by not throwing it out of bounds and took huge losses of yards on consecutive plays.

Yeah, the entire team played bad. But no this is not a team loss. I love Romo and I believe in him. But let's get real, Romo lost this game. He had a bad game and it happens. I'm not going to hold his feet to the fire. At the same time, I'm not going to deny the obvious.

Sorry fellas, but this is how great players are born. This is what separates guys like Brady, Manning and Favre from Romo. It's games like this. Romo is going to be a great player but he still has a long way to go. It's like Luke Skywalker in the Empire Strikes Back: "You are not a Jedi yet" He will get there but it showed a lot of us that he has a long way to go despite his early season success. And yes, I'm aware that Elway, Manning, Young and Favre went through these same growing pains.

Boysboy

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1911132 said:
Secondly, you have to view this recent occurrence from a historical perspective. The Dallas Cowboys have not won anything of any real value in about 12 Seasons. For several seasons, they have also been guilty of playing their worst football in the month of december. Does a new coach really come in and change that history of being losers, a Future Hall of Fame coach even struggled to get his head around the issue?

:hammer: