Team loss ??

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1911132 said:
NYC, you have to deal with a couple of issues. First and foremost, Jerry Jones, GM and Owner of our beloved Dallas Cowboys has already made the decision to bring Wade Phillips back.

Secondly, you have to view this recent occurrence from a historical perspective. The Dallas Cowboys have not won anything of any real value in about 12 Seasons. For several seasons, they have also been guilty of playing their worst football in the month of december. Does a new coach really come in and change that history of being losers, a Future Hall of Fame coach even struggled to get his head around the issue?

There are other things that concern my about Wade Phillips. The loss in the Playoffs, I will admit is one of them, but not the biggest problem I have with him.
I'm aware of each and every issue. I'm here to vent my frustations. None of us have any say in what is done, but that doesn't prevent us from speaking out.

All I'm doing is using the same thought process I use to break down issues in my work to analyze what is happening with the Cowboys. Retaining Wade does is not a logical conclusion. Though, I do realize that I, nor anyone else on this board has the complete story of why things are the way they are. What makes me hotly contest the situation is we have seen Jerry's decisions with great talent evaluators, and we've seen his work when he has lacked them. The differences are night and day.

Parcells didn't come after Sparano and Ireland because they were his goats. He came after them because there is a light on upstairs. The Cowboys are being plucked clean of some of their great minds. Jerry is almost all thats left and if history is any clue, that isn't a good thing.

We've retained Garrett, but what experience does Garrett have at talent evaluation? That is an unknown.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Romo lost the game?, He didn't play Defense right before Halftime, He didn't drop a big gain and maybe the game winning TD, he wasn't called for stupid penalties, he doesn't play Special teams, however he didn't have his best game either, it was a total team loss.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1910994 said:
After reading through all of the posts since the game, can we come to the conclusion, or come to an agreement that it was a "team loss".

Some want to blame the defense for the 43 TD drive at the end of the half.
Some blame the defense for missed tackles.
Some want to blame the offense for only putting up 3 second half pts, .. 17 total.
Some blame Crayton for his drop & lazyness at the end.
Some blame Romo for missing T.O.
Some blame Fasano.
Some blame the play-calling.
Some blame the HC for giving them 3 days off.
Some blame the special teams for poor kickoff coverage and the big punt return.

So that about includes everyone, .. offense, defense, special teams, & coaching.

So the old adage holds true, you win as a team and you lose as a team.

This was a team loss, .. let's move on and hopefully we find ways to correct the problems, and improve the roster through the draft and FA.

And we can try it all again next year.

What this tells me is that this team, record aside, is not as good as we thought they were. Maybe time, maturity, and additional talent is still needed.

Boysboy

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1911178 said:
Romo lost the game?, He didn't play Defense right before Halftime, He didn't drop a big gain and maybe the game winning TD, he wasn't called for stupid penalties, he doesn't play Special teams, however he didn't have his best game either, it was a total team loss.

I think the above poster's point was that Romo STILL has some things to learn with his game, especially when alot is on the line.

He DID say he's very happy he's our franchise QB, but if he wants to make it to the next level, he's going to have to step up his play as well.

No-he didn't say he's the sole reason, and everyone else that stunk it up gets a pass. But he nonetheless SHOULD use this game as a learning experience, and I agree.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
SacredStar;1911039 said:
Same here.

What hurts is that this year was the year to capitalize on the weak teams in the NFC. There were only a handful of good teams in the NFC....Dallas, NY, Green Bay, and Seattle. The rest of the NFC had a down year, especially teams who were predicted to be good like Philadelphia, New Orleans, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.

I think next season will be a lot harder for Dallas to compete simply because there will probably be more better teams in the NFC.

This was the year to seize the moment and Dallas failed to do that.
IMO Tampa Carolina and Chicago will not be all that next year anyway

and who's to say Green Bay Seattle or the Gints will not have a down year next year.

I expect there will be four good team in the NFC next year and we will be one of them.