Where is the team most need of speed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
...okay I'm a natural born idiot. I didn't get to finish the poll because I hit enter too soon.

Bottomline and to recap: Which area of the team needs more speed?

Mods...please feel free to lash me a 1000 times with a wet noodle....

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You need it everywhere.

A speed WR is the only thing this offense is missing but I think Romo makes WR's better.

The D Line needs to get to the QB faster but you could argue that their inability to stop the run when it counts hurts the team just as much.

It's a passing league so you better have CB's that can run with these talented WR's.

I voted Safety because I think that's where the lack of speed has hurt the defense the most. Fans love Barry Church and he seems like a nice guy, but he is so slow. Wilcox is slow to make decisions and then takes bad angles. Sensabaugh was supposed to be this athletic freak but TE's routinely ran away from him. Byron Jones helps a lot there. They need to find another safety with speed (and coverage ability).

JBS

Reaction score
You need it everywhere.

A speed WR is the only thing this offense is missing but I think Romo makes WR's better.

The D Line needs to get to the QB faster but you could argue that their inability to stop the run when it counts hurts the team just as much.

It's a passing league so you better have CB's that can run with these talented WR's.

I voted Safety because I think that's where the lack of speed has hurt the defense the most. Fans love Barry Church and he seems like a nice guy, but he is so slow. Wilcox is slow to make decisions and then takes bad angles. Sensabaugh was supposed to be this athletic freak but TE's routinely ran away from him. Byron Jones helps a lot there. They need to find another safety with speed (and coverage ability).

We have speed there now...probably LB is the biggest area in need of speed

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
We have speed there now...probably LB is the biggest area in need of speed

Lee is quick, more than that he's a film nut and he's instinctive. Hitchens, Wilson, and Nzeocha all seem fast enough, I'm just not sure they are talented enough.

Church is still a liability.

JBS

Reaction score
Lee is quick, more than that he's a film nut and he's instinctive. Hitchens, Wilson, and Nzeocha all seem fast enough, I'm just not sure they are talented enough.

You can find speed on the roster at most positions...most of them just aren't fast and good

Reactions: BAT

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6000
Weight: 245
40 Yrd Dash: 4.77
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.65225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 7.21

Wilson is not fast enough. He has the short area quickness and explosion to play SAM but his long speed is pretty bad.

JBS

Reaction score
Byron's speed doesn't make Church any faster.

Hahaha of course the other S position is slow. That's not going to change...I'm saying, now we have one S w real speed...Imo, there is a bigger need elsewhere for speed..but it doesn't really matter where...I'll take speed at any level...we can use all the help

J. Smith looks pretty fast when his legs are awake...maybe next year

Cowboy06

Reaction score
You need it everywhere.

I don't care for the WR corp overall. Add the TEs to the mix and I'm not happy. Just my opinion. I want a WR or two that make DEZ a true X factor. Currently, you can scheme for him. We don't have anyone that can take the top off the defense. We don't have a TE that can make the LBs and SS have to play the pass. The running game will not be all that if the teams can just put 8 or 9 in the box and say..."pass at will" Okay, perhaps a bit too much, but we need more speed. Dez isn't the answer to the WR corp in my opinion.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Combine Invite: Yes
Height:
Weight: 245
40 Yrd Dash: 4.77
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.65225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 7.21

Wilson is not fast enough. He has the short area quickness and explosion to play SAM but his long speed is pretty bad.

I hear you. He can get by as a 2-down Mike.

JBS

Reaction score
I don't care for the WR corp overall. Add the TEs to the mix and I'm not happy. Just my opinion. I want a WR or two that make DEZ a true X factor. Currently, you can scheme for him. We don't have anyone that can take the top off the defense. We don't have a TE that can make the LBs and SS have to play the pass. The running game will not be all that if the teams can just put 8 or 9 in the box and say..."pass at will" Okay, perhaps a bit too much, but we need more speed. Dez isn't the answer to the WR corp in my opinion.

I'll disagree here...Romo always makes his WRs better and there is way too much talent around these WRs for these guys not to step up...their job is going to be made much easier bc of all the attention elsewhere

Dez is incredible...he's going to get his

Between Williams, Butler, and Beasley...somebody here will make an impact...if not more than one of these guys

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I want a WR or two that make DEZ a true X factor. Currently, you can scheme for him. We don't have anyone that can take the top off the defense.

His name is Devon Allen...
devon-allen-track-and-field-2016-u.s.-olympic-team-trials-track-field-1-850x560.jpg

JBS

Reaction score
His name is Devon Allen...
devon-allen-track-and-field-2016-u.s.-olympic-team-trials-track-field-1-850x560.jpg

Whoever this guy is, he doesn't have much production...surely, you could have found someone better than this

In fairness to you , our next 27 picks need to be dedicated to the defense...so maybe that played a factor

jrumann59

Reaction score
Speed is great but having a lot of speed and low football IQ is a disaster look at Oakland under Al. I would like a guy with some speed but huge football IQ, with IQ you can grasp nuances you can do the little things that metrics do not necessarily show. Lee is a good example not ton of speed but being football smart and instinctual he can make up for the lack of speed. I think each unit needs a couple of these type of guys.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Sheesh. I gotta disagree out WR corps is definitely fine

Cowboy06

Reaction score
Sheesh. I gotta disagree out WR corps is definitely fine

I hope I'm wrong, but who is the deep threat? Dez Byrant is coming off a down year and injury, Twills...well he is just not up to par, but Romo is back so he may have a better year. Now, I love Beasley and the how he performs his duties. I am worried that we haven't invested in the WR corp via the draft and those lower picks we have invested haven't panned out.

The good? Well, I'm just a fan and things have a way of working out when you think a segment of the team isn't up to snuff. You also don't HAVE to spend high draft picks, but you better getter more WRs in here that pan out or no matter if Romo is back and in top form we may be lacking.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To be realistic, let's wisely acknowledge that speed is far from the cure-all that separates the best teams from the rest. It's talent and desire that count the most when push comes to shove. I'm sure we've all seen generous numbers of speed merchants who simply fail to produce, despite their best efforts. To be sure, though, players possessing speed with the required talent and desire to match can routinely make their marks in the NFL.

Last edited:

Cowboy06

Reaction score
To be realistic, let's wisely acknowledge that speed is far from the cure-all that separates the best teams from the rest. It's talent and desire that count the most when push comes to shove. I'm sure we've all seen generous numbers of speed merchants who simply fail to produce, despite their best efforts. To be sure, though, players possessing speed with the required talent and desire to match will routinely make their marks in the NFL.

When do you report for work as a cowboy scout? We need help. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.