Where is the team most need of speed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Im shocked that no one thinks we need more speed on the return game. That is 1/3 of a ball game.

chagus

Reaction score
Im going with special teams. It would be REALLY nice to have a threat on every kickoff and punt return to change the opposing teams strategy. It would then translate into better field position, obviously.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong, but who is the deep threat? Dez Byrant is coming off a down year and injury, Twills...well he is just not up to par, but Romo is back so he may have a better year. Now, I love Beasley and the how he performs his duties.

We have speed at WR, the coaches just choose to play these three, for trust/talent/scheme reasons. Butler and Lucky are both mid 4.3 40 guys, so that's about as fast as the NFL gets.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I voted tight end because we really need someone to stretch the seem over the middle of the field.

I'd take a slot guy with decent speed too that could make safeties play us honest.

Witten eats up all of the short stuff but he doesn't stretch a defense anymore.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
To be realistic, let's wisely acknowledge that speed is far from the cure-all that separates the best teams from the rest. It's talent and desire that count the most when push comes to shove. I'm sure we've all seen generous numbers of speed merchants who simply fail to produce, despite their best efforts. To be sure, though, players possessing speed with the required talent and desire to match can routinely make their marks in the NFL.

You're not wrong but speed is a measurable quality. Talent is measurable but deceptive. Other factors like opportunity, competition can effect the way we look at talent. Desire is a tough one too. Players will say the right things when asked...Coaches and teammates will protect a guy...sometimes its obvious, most of the time it isn't.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Im shocked that no one thinks we need more speed on the return game. That is 1/3 of a ball game.

Not a third. Maybe 6-7 plays a game. If you have a good defense you may have 1-3 KR a game, if you have a good defense you have maybe 4-5 PR a game.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
I'll disagree here...Romo always makes his WRs better and there is way too much talent around these WRs for these guys not to step up...their job is going to be made much easier bc of all the attention elsewhere

Dez is incredible...he's going to get his

Between Williams, Butler, and Beasley...somebody here will make an impact...if not more than one of these guys

I hope so. But I need to see it. I am hoping the receivers and Tight ends are just plan better regardless of QB.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
Not a third. Maybe 6-7 plays a game. If you have a good defense you may have 1-3 KR a game, if you have a good defense you have maybe 4-5 PR a game.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. I see offense, defense, and special teams. On special teams you have kick offs, punt returns for both teams and all phases can impact field position and you can score. But I see your point and will concede I probably can't change you're mind.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You're not wrong but speed is a measurable quality. Talent is measurable but deceptive. Other factors like opportunity, competition can effect the way we look at talent. Desire is a tough one too. Players will say the right things when asked...Coaches and teammates will protect a guy...sometimes its obvious, most of the time it isn't.

There's much to be said favoring what you're saying. Despite knowing this, it's where having exceptional scouting becomes a highly essential factor in uncovering those with the necessary talent and mental capacities to excel. I don't believe it's necessarily an accident when the most successful teams consistently manage to detect those players who exhibit the highest standards of talent, performance and mental qualities.

Cowboy06

Reaction score
I miss the good old days when we had coaches that controlled the narrative and players were just quiet during the week. It's more fun to see the points of views, but overly there is too much "coach/player speak" out there for me to believe much of anything.

Plankton

Reaction score
The Cowboy corners, as a group, are at best average speed wise. Carr is slow, Claiborne is average, Scandrick is coming off of a knee injury, Josh Thomas and Deji Olatoye are both average speed wise. Anthony Brown runs well, but it remains to be seen if he can play. They could use an injection of speed here.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bob Hayes was pretty darn fast...and, he was a football player when on the carpet. All around athletes do succeed, if they take the game to heart.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to have 3 WRs that could impose their will against a defense. It will keep the running game open and functional in my opinion.

We have to revamp the skill positions. Zeke was a great start but we have nothing at QB or TE and only Dez Bryant at WR for the future and I don't trust him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.