Team Personality

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Add Tuna. You do the write up......LOL! (Good deal man! I appreciate it. I'm not thinking today!)
The incredible thing about Parcells was that he took 4 teams that were trash and made a HUGE turnaround.
Won 2 SBs with the Giants
Got to the SB with NE
Went to the Jets and got them to within 1 game of the SB - but the next year Testeverde ruptures his Achilles heel in week 1 killed that year or they make another run at the SB.
Came to Dallas and we all know what he did, and I'd argue if he would have stayed one more year there was a good chance he would have gotten them to the SB.

I dont know of many coaches with that kind of resume.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Of course they’ll respect him. He’s a no nonsense northeastern guy who eats his bologna with a fork and drinks his coffee with a slotted spoon.

johneric8

Reaction score
No, you are all wrong. Garrett never lost the locker room. In the last three weeks of the season, they outscored their opponents 108-46. They played hard for coach Garrett throughout the season. Garrett deserved to be fired but you don't have to lie about the players quitting on him.
It's an opinion not a lie. When I said the soft leadership influenced them I mean that. Sure they can outscore and be dominant at times, but the overall lack of consistency in our coaching staff from week to week failed us. Forget the last few games, think of how soft they looked against the Jets and the bills. These were needed victories and we didn't come to play because coaching allowed us to get soft and full of ourselves. I've always said that Garrett was good for a few rah rah speeches to get the troops back up and ready, but this was only good a few times a year...

Bottom line, they folded way too easily when it mattered most, and too say that Garrett never lost the locker room is crazy talk. You could tell many times during the season that the players knew the end was near based on results, you can even see it in Garret's face.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's an opinion not a lie. When I said the soft leadership influenced them I mean that. Sure they can outscore and be dominant at times, but the overall lack of consistency in our coaching staff from week to week failed us. Forget the last few games, think of how soft they looked against the Jets and the bills. These were needed victories and we didn't come to play because coaching allowed us to get soft and full of ourselves. I've always said that Garrett was good for a few rah rah speeches to get the troops back up and ready, but this was only good a few times a year...

Bottom line, they folded way too easily when it mattered most, and too say that Garrett never lost the locker room is crazy talk. You could tell many times during the season that the players knew the end was near based on results, you can even see it in Garret's face.
You can cherry-pick certain games all you want. They certainly failed to win games they should have won and were overmatched in others. That doesn't mean the team in any way quit on Garrett. I've already said he deserved to get fired. But the idea that the team quit on the coach is just fictitious.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I think McCarthy has rebranded himself into a different coach. I think that is why he got the job. The question is what brand is he?

Dre11

Reaction score
I would think players would respect McCarthy more regardless of his personality simply because he's had success as a NFL head coach including a Super Bowl win.

That's not to say it means more or less with regards to future success, just that players respect winners more so than personalities.

Coaching personalities are what players care about when their team is losing.

Its different in the big light Dallas. Green bay is storied, but in Dallas the pressure cooker has more pressure..lol

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just my $0.02 here-- not looking at Xs and Os-- just personality for a moment: Is McCarthy a good fit for our team? Bear in mind that teams start to take on the personality traits of their leaders-- and while this is not everything-- it is not an incidental/trivial opic either:

McCarthy is a "meat and potatoes" "football guy" who has been accused of being stale, complacent, lazy-- but also praised for being real, straight-forward, and focused on getting his guys prepared. He is also not afraid to show some anger/heat on the sidelines and loathes dumb mistakes.
Yeah, the Cowboys need a new focus.
Just wondering, as I don't really know the skinny on Big Mac. Why was he perceived as stale, complacent, and lazy?

cowboyec

Reaction score
we're gonna kick so much candy ***...we won't know what to do with our hands either...'cept when we hoist that Landry...aka Lombardi...high!!!!!!
:flagwave:COWBOYS:flagwave:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yeah, the Cowboys need a new focus.
Just wondering, as I don't really know the skinny on Big Mac. Why was he perceived as stale, complacent, and lazy?

That was the knock on him at the end of his tine at GB. No creativity. No innovation. Going through the motions.

Rumored to be getting massages instead of going to Sat walk throughs.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
been pretty apparent that there are some players who liked the atmosphere because they didn't really have it in them to excel so getting participation trophies (& checks) was just fine with them. hopefully the new staff weeds the garden & gets the attention of any who haven't been giving it their all.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the knock on him at the end of his tine at GB. No creativity. No innovation. Going through the motions.

Rumored to be getting massages instead of going to Sat walk throughs.
Seems like I recall the creativity critique.

morat1959

Reaction score
A Good coach will Motivate, Discipline, Teach and Monitor.

He starts doing this with focus on the coaches he hires and he makes sure they do it with the players under each of them.

How good he is at these 4 things will tell you what kind of coach he will be......... Time will be the judge.
Off topic...what’s your view of Dak?

Blue64

Reaction score
No, you are all wrong. Garrett never lost the locker room. In the last three weeks of the season, they outscored their opponents 108-46. They played hard for coach Garrett throughout the season. Garrett deserved to be fired but you don't have to lie about the players quitting on him.

How can you say they played hard for JG, where they should have played hard in Philly were it mattered they laid an egg against a depleted team.
Go find yourself a video of that game and watch the players on the other side, guys like Fletcher Cox they played hard and injured.
That’s where every player on this team should have put it all on the line, instead of the effort they produced on the field

mmohican29

Reaction score
For sure. He starts with the room paying attention and buying in. Plus-- the players have watched how a lot of coaches just lost their jobs-- so they know there are consequences for poor results now more than ever in Dallas.

These changes should result in an uptick in production, focus, and execution this season. Will it be sustainable for years after? Anyone's guess-- but I like the potential of the foundation that is being laid here in the earliest hours of the new era.

Anytime there is a change @ HC there is usually a surge in effort.

If I'm McCarthy the first "star player" to not sell out to be their best version on Sundays that is not locked into a crippling contract, I'm informing face to face I have designs on your exit. The next instance he is benched and dealt.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
How can you say they played hard for JG, where they should have played hard in Philly were it mattered they laid an egg against a depleted team.
Go find yourself a video of that game and watch the players on the other side, guys like Fletcher Cox they played hard and injured.
That’s where every player on this team should have put it all on the line, instead of the effort they produced on the field
I have game pass and have re-watched all the games. The players did not quit. They didn't execute well, but they did not quit.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Just my $0.02 here-- not looking at Xs and Os-- just personality for a moment: Is McCarthy a good fit for our team? Bear in mind that teams start to take on the personality traits of their leaders-- and while this is not everything-- it is not an incidental/trivial topic either:

McCarthy is a "meat and potatoes" "football guy" who has been accused of being stale, complacent, lazy-- but also praised for being real, straight-forward, and focused on getting his guys prepared. He is also not afraid to show some anger/heat on the sidelines and loathes dumb mistakes.

I think this is EXACTLY what this team needs at the HC position. They need a no nonsense, non-diva, non-flashy, back to basics "Dad" that keeps things simple, straight, and consistent for the team. Under Garrett-- they were patted on the back if they won, or if they lost. They had a coach who would watch basketball games with them and wanted to be their "friend". They developed a culture of entitlement bc JJ and JG allowed it to fester-- no focus on consistent discipline or accountability.

Meat and potatoes is not "sexy" or "flashy"-- but IMO-- this is what is needed at HC right now in order to ground this roster in the fundamentals of football and execution that is so badly needed. We have an owner that is a showman like PT Barnum. Having a no-frills, no-nonsense HC like MM is a nice counter-balance to that sideshow.
Sometimes the non sexy choice is the right one. Remember the non sexy first round draft picks that made our O-Line. But yeah I have said several times that teams act and play like the personality of there HC. JG didn’t do much and you could tell they acted sometimes more like JJ than JG. I think some players liked JG because he kept the same country club atmosphere the players liked and didn’t want it to end. The players didn’t play as a team, they played as individuals. And the last few years they wouldn’t even acknowledge JG on the sidelines and didn’t even high five him. That makes a difference when you make the playoffs and you need a edge in coaching.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just my $0.02 here-- not looking at Xs and Os-- just personality for a moment: Is McCarthy a good fit for our team? Bear in mind that teams start to take on the personality traits of their leaders-- and while this is not everything-- it is not an incidental/trivial topic either:

I think this is EXACTLY what this team needs at the HC position. They need a no nonsense, non-diva, non-flashy, back to basics "Dad" that keeps things simple, straight, and consistent for the team. Under Garrett-- they were patted on the back if they won, or if they lost. They had a coach who would watch basketball games with them and wanted to be their "friend". They developed a culture of entitlement bc JJ and JG allowed it to fester-- no focus on consistent discipline or accountability.

Meat and potatoes is not "sexy" or "flashy"-- but IMO-- this is what is needed at HC right now in order to ground this roster in the fundamentals of football and execution that is so badly needed. We have an owner that is a showman like PT Barnum. Having a no-frills, no-nonsense HC like MM is a nice counter-balance to that sideshow.

I certainly think it's beneficial. I think the non-nonsense approach will be a welcome contrast to the 'Hollywood' atmosphere that too often surrounds this team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think players would respect McCarthy more regardless of his personality simply because he's had success as a NFL head coach including a Super Bowl win.

That's not to say it means more or less with regards to future success, just that players respect winners more so than personalities.

Coaching personalities are what players care about when their team is losing.

I think that the proven track record and credibility that much of his staff brings will help as well. Most of these coaches aren't just good at the job they have with the Cowboys, most have been head coaches in the past, so they've actually risen above their current position at some point. I think that carries some weight as well.

Charles Robinson made a good point, saying something along the lines of 'these guys have worked with their backs to the room and facing the room'. In other words, they've been positional coaches looking at film, and head coaches making presentations and speeches to the team as a whole. That experience is beneficial.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I like him because he’s old school and like you said, that’s exactly what these players need. We shall see going forward but my positivity has gone up a notch or 2.