CFZ Team weaknesses as of mid April

Verdict

Reaction score
It’s a long time until opening day, and we still have the draft and post draft free agency to go prior to the start of the season. But as of right now, today here are my concerns:

DT (marginal starters and almost no depth)

QB (is it going to be good Dak, or Bad Dak who shows up and I don’t think Cooper Rush is very good in spite of his win total last year)

RB. I would be saying the same thing even if we had kept The Ewok as I think he is done. As of today, Pollard still can’t play. Davis and Dowdle don’t move the needle at all. We need two good playable RBs.

OL. Tyron is done. We have a hole at G and Steele hasn’t come back yet.

So, as I see it we somehow need to come out of the draft or post draft free agency with:

2 DT
2 RB
QB
OT
OG

We seriously need to add a starting quality player at 1 DT, 1 RB, 1 OT, 1 OG

We need potential starters at:

1 DT, 1RB, QB,

I love what the team has done and if the team goes BPA all the way through the draft it will not hurt my feelings at all. But some how, some where, some way, these legitimate holes need to be filled if we want that elusive SB win. I don’t think we get there otherwise.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It’s a long time until opening day, and we still have the draft and post draft free agency to go prior to the start of the season. But as of right now, today here are my concerns:

QB (is it going to be good Dak, or Bad Dak who shows up and I don’t think Cooper Rush is very good in spite of his win total last year)

RB. I would be saying the same thing even if we had kept The Ewok as I think he is done. As of today, Pollard still can’t play. Davis and Dowdle don’t move the needle at all. We need two good playable RBs.

So, as I see it we somehow need to come out of the draft or post draft free agency with:

2 DT
2 RB
QB
OT
OG

1 DT, 1RB, QB,

I love what the team has done and if the team goes BPA all the way through the draft it will not hurt my feelings at all. But some how, some where, some way, these legitimate holes need to be filled if we want that elusive SB win. I don’t think we get there otherwise.
I think these are concerns that bear more than watching. They require constructive action to rectify some seemingly legitimate issues. This may well be a prove-it year for Dak to rebound from a questionable playoff performance in 2022. I'm truly hoping such a recovery materializes, please and thanks. The Cowboys enjoyed a better-than-usual offseason this year. Here's hoping our draft and its results offer some bigtime blessings.

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
I think we need OL , TE, RB , DL, and we need to add a new young QB the mix. I hope that either Bijan or the TE Washington fall to us but I wouldn't be mad at a solid OL pickup because Tyron should be reserve at this point. This draft and offseason needs to be about our depth, specifically at the line of scrimmage. That's what it'll be about come playoff time.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RB No healthy starters, RJ isn't a real starter either
OL steel hurt, questionable LG, need backup center maybe a guy who can become the starter and let biadz move on
DL lack of run stopping depth behind hankins, also lack top end 3T, we also could use another young DE to develop
TE Fergeson and hendershot both missed time with injury so we have durability questions along with wanting to see more growth from both as well

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

2 DT
2 RB
QB
OT
OG

1 DT, 1RB, QB,

They aren’t legitimate holes. Tyron is not done. Steele will be back. Pollard will be back. They will draft a RB opposite Pollard. They do need depth on the OL and DL but your take is based on worst case scenario.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

2 DT
2 RB
QB
OT
OG

1 DT, 1RB, QB,

This is a pipe dream. No way we can fill that list in this draft.
more realistically, we will get 1 OL, 1 TE, 1 RB, 1DT, 1 CB, 1 LB…..and some UDFAs

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1 DT, 1RB, QB,
There is a difference between need and want. You and others see drafting quarterback as a need. On the other hand, it is exceedingly likely Jerry Jones sees the position as a possible draft want.

So, the possibility of Jones addressing the position as a need via a early round draft selection is small. That said, it would be smart of Jones to use a mid-to-late round pick and grab a quarterback for: 1) depth, 2) possible future trade capital and/or 3) successor down the road. That type of selection would demonstrate a want. The real question is how MUCH does Jones want to draft a quarterback in this draft?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Team issues:

Tier 1 (no one there): RB2 - Should be filled in the draft but its there. Also kicker but no one talks about that until they start missing.
Tier 2 (have people but they aren't good): G, DT, TE(might be tier 3)
Tier 3 (need depth or future roster moves will create holes as soon as next year): WR, LB, DE

Overall, I really don't see a ton of holes. Dallas just needs playmakers and there are a lot of positions where it would help.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron really is not done. It is a question of how well prepared are they for when he is injured again.
Steele should be fine, but also will they prepare for him until his return. As he may may the start of the season.
Pollard should be fine. However they need a RB regardless. Will see what they do in the draft.

DT is the biggest issues and need another OL, if not to start at LG, then to eventually start.
Really need a good draft for depth and future starters as early as 2024.

And yes a QB to groom if it is in 2025 or as long as 2026. Dark will be here at least 2 more years regardless what some fans may or may not want.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm assuming we will start all 5 of Tyler, Tyron, Biadasz, Martin and Steele. Because of this I don't have OL as my top priority. I see it as a huge need when Tyron goes down which will happen, but maynbe not for too long. Hopefully Tyron will be healthy enough to suit up for the playoffs. So I see our biggest holes in a somewhat loose order as: LB, DT, OL, TE, backup RB. LB is where we are the weakest but because it isn't a prime position my primary hope is to find a DT early in the draft. We need to add a rotation player or better at each of these positions IMO. Can be the draft, can be free agency or can be a tradeline acquisition. But these are the spots I think we need to shore up to compete for a SB.