Teams are trying to convince themselves qb is good enough

Reid1boys

Reaction score
NO..lol..I know Jimmy G doesn't suck. Dude is a helluva player and while not what some call elite, he's darn good or he wouldn't be in the SB. Dak is the same way and that's all I was saying. Jimmy has ALL the right parts around him to succeed...especially coaching. Dak has never had that benefit.
how good was his coaching last year? That awesome coaching worked, all the way to a 4-12 record.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If Dak ever wins the Super Bowl the very first post on this board afterward will be...."But he's only won one..."
I hope he wins multiple. but he will have to improve. Just look at the game against the iggles in week 16 and all of those horrible passes behind and over the head of his receivers. That must get better.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This theory is so overplayed. There is always more risk switching QBs than sticking with a good to very good QB. I haven't seen anything that says someone like Garoppolo is that much better than Dak. The difference is that Garoppolo has an extremely good defense, run game, and head coach. For every Mahomes and Garoppolo there is a Sam Darnald or Josh Rosen. I think we can make a Super Bowl with Dak and some better coaching and a more consistent surrounding cast. The alternative is so much worse. The likelihood that we hit big on another QB in the draft is just too low. Imagine being stuck with an actual terrible QB for 4-5 years.
Overplayed? did you look at the list of the SB winning QBs since 2000? It pretty much falls in line with 70% winning QBs are HOFers or soon to be HOFers. 20% GREAT DEFENSE, not good, but GREAT, and 10%% neither and both of those were the Giants with Eli manning..... that is the true anamoly. winner

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Hmmmm....name 3 and if they as good you say, 2 should still be playing (lol)

Other than this, I actually agree with your post. Just don't think ANY QB can carry a team w/o some elite talent, whether defense or offense or coaching. I'm not sure Mahomes on the Giants or Commanders team is playing in the Super Bowl. That's not to say he would have league-leading stats but that alone won't cut it.......ask Dan Marino.
so you think Mahomes, with a Barkely lining up behind him wouldnt allow Mahomes to just ball out every week? The chiefs have avg RBs at best behind mahomes, so teams are lining up to stop that run game. The Chiefs defense isnt leaps and bounds above the Giants. Mahomes on the Giants and I bet they would have been 12-4 this year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
how good was his coaching last year? That awesome coaching worked, all the way to a 4-12 record.
apparently the coaching wasn't the entire issue last year..it still takes a balance of everything.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
apparently the coaching wasn't the entire issue last year..it still takes a balance of everything.
yeah, they brought in Jimmy G who has started a whopping 19 por so games and he was head and shoulders above what they had last year.
i dont care how much he threw for against GB. Shanahan and any idiot on the planet could see the pack could not stop the run and the niners were gashing them for like 27 yards per carry. Yeah, lets throw it when that is happening.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the Cowboys are trying to convince themselves that the QB is good enough. I think the top 2 personnel guys who would be responsible for that decision just don't have a clue of who is and isn't. They are complete and total frauds.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys are trying to convince themselves that the QB is good enough. I think the top 2 personnel guys who would be responsible for that decision just don't have a clue of who is and isn't. They are complete and total frauds.
so you dont think our roster is pretty good?
Obviously we need a safety, a big time TE, a Tackle... and then where are our big time needs> Well if we lose quinn, which is likely, we need another pass rusher. But i think the cupboard is hardly empty. We have drafted pretty well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
so you dont think our roster is pretty good?
Obviously we need a safety, a big time TE, a Tackle... and then where are our big time needs> Well if we lose quinn, which is likely, we need another pass rusher. But i think the cupboard is hardly empty. We have drafted pretty well.
if I may chime in lol..I think we have drafted pretty good, but I think not so much defensively. I think that side of the ball has been way overrated for years and not nearly as talented as they actually are. We need big improvement there.MUCH is fundamentals, some is drafting better and some is scheme fit.. For example, Jaylon Smith isn't as good as say, san frans linebackers..I would take all 3 of them over him. He is overpaid,overhyped and lacked football awareness. He is just 1 example. To me, we can do better and we will see MM draft accordingly I think. No coincidence then, that some of the first moves MM made was ridding the team of the defensive staff/coaches. Look at the resources and coaches he has hired to fill the void left behind. He knows defense MUST be better and I think it starts with coaching then drafting and free agency. Byron Jones will be gone and Jaylon better get with the program. DLAW, same thing applies.

Rayman70

Reaction score
well, the we are on our way.... we have a SB winning coach. Sky is the limit for us in 2020.......smh.

Wasnt McKay a genius? Howd they do this year?
McVay. But in 2018 they made it to the SB. What happened to them was poor drafting this year and overpaying for players. ALSO...the defense regressed which is why Wade Phillips was run out.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
McVay. But in 2018 they made it to the SB. What happened to them was poor drafting this year and overpaying for players. ALSO...the defense regressed which is why Wade Phillips was run out.
so are you saying that one of the best defensive coaches in the nfl over the past 30 years was the reason they regressed? That offense was nowhere close to the year before. Did McVAY regress as well?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
2018 rams scored 527 pts.... 2019 Rams scored 394. So when the defense got weaker, they boot the coach. Offense gets weaker, they boot the defensive coach.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Overplayed? did you look at the list of the SB winning QBs since 2000? It pretty much falls in line with 70% winning QBs are HOFers or soon to be HOFers. 20% GREAT DEFENSE, not good, but GREAT, and 10%% neither and both of those were the Giants with Eli manning..... that is the true anamoly. winner
Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles. That's just off the top of my head. None of those guys are HOFers IMO. Plus Brady throws that stat way off if it is true.

Rayman70

Reaction score
so are you saying that one of the best defensive coaches in the nfl over the past 30 years was the reason they regressed? That offense was nowhere close to the year before. Did McVAY regress as well?
yessir..it was part of it. Wade usually has a short shelf life as a DC. ALSO, the type of players they brought in didn't really fit what he was running on D. I think they needed a fresh set of eyes as a DC etc. IT DOES HAPPEN. Things get stale.

Rayman70

Reaction score
2018 rams scored 527 pts.... 2019 Rams scored 394. So when the defense got weaker, they boot the coach. Offense gets weaker, they boot the defensive coach.
mcvay is on the hot seat in 2020. If they do not do better this year, he could be gone. Wades D underachieved and he deserves some blame and so do the players. But I think they needed a fresh new approach on D.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles. That's just off the top of my head. None of those guys are HOFers IMO. Plus Brady throws that stat way off if it is true.
like I said... read the damn post.. I addressed all of those. Eli was the only non HUF qb, or QB that didnt have a GREAT defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is great. Collin hit it on the head. He says that half the teams in the league are trying to convince themselves that their QB is good enough. The bears...... yep. Remember the chiefs with Smith? The would say he is good enough... and as Colin said... no he isnt.

And here we are trying to convince ourselves Dak is good enough. Did you watch Mahomes? Sad part is what else do you do?
Of course. However, there's only 2 or 3 top QB's. Rest of the teams have to form a unit that is dominant/good enough in other ways. Eli, Foles, Flacco, an old Payton. Super bowls are won all the time by 2nd tier QB's.

With Dak, what you have to do is simply realize that he's most likely not a team carrier, and build your D. Jason never understood that, our best hope is that McC does.