Teams can start interviewing Quinn for HC soon

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Jerry would do that. And he shouldn't. Quinn deserves another shot.
If Quinn isn't hot for the job, he could just ask Booger to decline the request.

It is highly unusual that any HC or GM would prevent any coach from interviewing for a better paying job unless that coach wasn't interested but would prefer to have the GM run the interference.

If Quinn is interested, Booger will not prevent that. That's not his nature.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The major thing we do not know is what Quinn wants and when he wants it and where he wants it.

If he gets the opportunity now, he will get that and maybe even better a year or two down the road.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Quinn doesn't need his GM's permission, the interviewing team does and that has been denied before by playoff teams.

Don't underestimate the effect of his first HC experience, he might be waiting for the best opportunity. Who in the hell wants the Bears?

He doesn't need a job and he should be taken care of very well financially because only a fool wouldn't recognize what he's been able to do in just one year.

I'm not sure .......
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/spo...terview-rule-details-impact-on-bears/2710487/

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Pretty big pay discrepancy between HC and DC
Not that much with Jerry. Mike McCarthy signed a 5 year/$30 million dollar contract to be head coach for the Cowboys. It was leaked that Kellen Moore is getting paid $2 million/year by Jerry. I would think Dan Quinn with his experience is getting paid more by Jerry. Much more. I wouldn't be surprised if it's around $4 mil/year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Quinn isn't hot for the job, he could just ask Booger to decline the request.

It is highly unusual that any HC or GM would prevent any coach from interviewing for a better paying job unless that coach wasn't interested but would prefer to have the GM run the interference.

If Quinn is interested, Booger will not prevent that. That's not his nature.

Teams can only deny their assistants to interview the last two weeks of the season......after that, the original rules are back in play.

• At 8 a.m. local time on Tuesday, Dec. 28, teams with an “open” head coach position can request permission to interview a head coach candidate employed by another club.
  • The interview must be conducted virtually and cannot last more than two hours.
  • Teams cannot request an interview with a current head coach, but they can request an interview with an interim head coach.
  • Teams can deny permission for requested head coach interviews during Weeks 17 and 18, but if they allow one team to interview a candidate, they must grant permission to any other requesting clubs as well.
  • A head coach position is considered “open” if the head coach that started the season is no longer employed by the team or has been given notice that he will no longer be with the team next season
For the Bears to take advantage, they would have to fire head coach Matt Nagy before 8 a.m. CT on Tuesday, Dec. 28 or at least inform him and the league that he won’t return in 2022. At that point, they would have an extra two weeks to request virtual interviews. While teams can deny those requests, it seems unlikely they would do so because head coaches generally like to promote opportunities for their assistants and can’t deny requests during the league-mandated windows during the playoffs. They would only be delaying the inevitable while creating a potential conflict during the postseason.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think Quinn is a better DC than a HC. I suspect he will get interviews but I don't think he will get offers.

I don't see him getting a head coaching gig right away either. Any GM will look to his Atlanta resume and end up hiring the upcoming guy who hasn't been a head coach yet.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinns all but gone, I'd grab Riviera he's another awesome DC but not HC material. Defenders will play their arses off for him as he attacks

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Teams will interview him. But I don’t see why any team would want him as head coach unless it’s a team with a good offense and a poor defense. He’s not going to fix an offense or groom a young QB. It would be a team that wants him to fix their defense. And can he fix the defense while also see,Bing as head coach?

I’m not worried.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Teams will interview him. But I don’t see why any team would want him as head coach unless it’s a team with a good offense and a poor defense. He’s not going to fix an offense or groom a young QB. It would be a team that wants him to fix their defense. And can he fix the defense while also see,Bing as head coach?

I’m not worried.

I agree with this ........guessing it would be a team with an established vet QB ( Seahawks if Carroll leaves and Wilson stays)

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone seems to think that a HCing spot is the best thing. You're a coach in a dam good situation with a team ready to take off. Sure run to Jacksonville or Chicago and win 5 games a year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Who is Quinns second in command?

I ought to know this and don't.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If Quinn leaves, I simply promote Edwards to DC.
Who is Quinns second in command?

I ought to know this and don't.
Ok I guess that's the answer.

We gave Quinn so much say over personnel we absolutely must stay with the same system.

That aside.... I just find it comical the way these guys end up with HC jobs sometimes.

He wasn't good enough to remain with the Falcons 12 months ago but suddenly, with the emergence of several players, is now great again. He can't bring those players to the new job.

Then you have a guy like Rhule in Carolina who many were infatuated with. He doesn't have the QB and is now on the hot seat for next year.

These guys are all fine coaches and are all qualified, but they need the hosses as well.

Carson

Reaction score
Just pay him whatever he wants.

I’m sure he’s more content being a DC as opposed to HC. He’s doing one hell of a job

RS12

Reaction score
I agree Quinn has been a better DC than HC, I could maybe see a fit in Las Vegas.