Twitter: Teams in worst cap shape in 2021 under $175M cap

waving monkey

Reaction score
That's without Dak's $38M if they were to tag him again.

The Cowboys would be $36M over the cap at that point.

Or look at like this, the 2021 Cowboys have $2M in cap room and the only QB they'll have under contract is 2020 7th round pick Ben DiNucci.
structuring Dak's deal would work around that wouldn't it?

waving monkey

Reaction score
I would absolutely positively 100% not franchise tag next year. Put a transition tag on him and match any offer. Teams are not going to have much to spend.

I would call this the "Todd France is an idiot and doesn't read the papers so he had no clue he could be forcing Dak to be a free agent during a down cap year" discount.
your a novelist

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The top 3 would be in trouble under normal circumstances.

Absolutely, and that's why the NFL and the NFLPA will work something out. The league has gone with an uncapped year before. I could see next year being uncapped with stipulations that make it so newly-signed deals or restructured deals cannot allocate a disproportionate amount of guaranteed money to 2021. The "Honor System" in 2010 mostly worked but Dallas and Washington took advantage and that resulted in a colossal mess. Doubt the NFL or NFLPA has any interest in repeating that. Both sides pretty much lost.

Admittedly, I'd like to see both groups just say "deal with it".

Flamma

Reaction score
Absolutely, and that's why the NFL and the NFLPA will work something out. The league has gone with an uncapped year before. I could see next year being uncapped with stipulations that make it so newly-signed deals or restructured deals cannot allocate a disproportionate amount of guaranteed money to 2021. The "Honor System" in 2010 mostly worked but Dallas and Washington took advantage and that resulted in a colossal mess. Doubt the NFL or NFLPA has any interest in repeating that. Both sides pretty much lost.

Admittedly, I'd like to see both groups just say "deal with it".

Yeah I remember that mess. The league could freeze the cap for 2-3 years. That would probably be the least painful. They could probably work with that.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If the cap is at that level very few teams will have the resources to sign Prescott let alone their own players they wish to retain. Contracts will go down with possible escalators in future years.

If the CAP doesnt rise we wouldnt have the money to offer a second Tag leaving Colts and Jaguars in pole position to pen Dak.

However, lets hope there's a temporary freeze on the CAP as it'll mean we'll have flexibility to add Dak's contract.

Last edited:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Y’all know the report is saying $175 million is going to be the floor right?

granted, that means the cap will still be down from 2020, but $175 isn’t a number they would be concerned with

plasticman

Reaction score
The salary cap isn't going to decrease regardless of the amoint of 2020 rwvenue. They will xome to a deal that at least matches this season.

These owners realIze that they were losing TV ratings before. Now they have to try to gain market share after the quarantine.

They aren't going to dilute the talent pool at a time whem they need to increase interest and excitement in the game.

Also, there is always the possibility of another league forming in the wake of excess talent due to a decrease in cap space.

Decreasing the salary cap would inceease holdouts, disrupt the beginning of the 2021 season, and decrease the quality of their product.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

granted, that means the cap will still be down from 2020, but $175 isn’t a number they would be concerned with

Yep, but without a CAP freeze, we're already spending $176m without a QB, no Safeties and desperate need at DE and linebacker.

We'll have to face it, 2021 is going to be difficult for us....a suspension of the CAP is our only potential saviour.

jrumann59

Reaction score
maybe do a mix with a partially uncapped year making it up to the owners to exceed the cap by a set percentage. So if the cap is 175m but the real cap is 200m. Just throwing around ideas. Or allow exceptions for the year. Where a team can designate a franchise and transition contract for the year that gets excluded.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
maybe do a mix with a partially uncapped year making it up to the owners to exceed the cap by a set percentage. So if the cap is 175m but the real cap is 200m. Just throwing around ideas. Or allow exceptions for the year. Where a team can designate a franchise and transition contract for the year that gets excluded.

Yep. Start incorporating the 2020 CBA agreement with the additional games and suspend the CAP for 2 or 3 years to allow payments to the players....both owners and players get a win.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
That's without Dak's $38M if they were to tag him again.

The Cowboys would be $36M over the cap at that point.

Or look at like this, the 2021 Cowboys have $2M in cap room and the only QB they'll have under contract is 2020 7th round pick Ben DiNucci.
nice to see new fans

:welcome:

Some of the more seasoned vets here can explain the cap situation and how irrelevant it is when needed to be

baltcowboy

Reaction score

If the league has Friday and Saturday games. I think the cap might stay the same.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yep, but without a CAP freeze, we're already spending $176m without a QB, no Safeties and desperate need at DE and linebacker.

We'll have to face it, 2021 is going to be difficult for us....a suspension of the CAP is our only potential saviour.

Meh...if the team accomplished enough on the field to warrant kicking the can a year, then we’ll restructure and be able to fill the holes that we would otherwise fill

Regardless, the $175 isn’t the number we need to be concerned with

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The salary cap isn't going to decrease regardless of the amoint of 2020 rwvenue. They will xome to a deal that at least matches this season.

These owners realIze that they were losing TV ratings before. Now they have to try to gain market share after the quarantine.
They aren't going to dilute the talent pool at a time whem they need to increase interest and excitement in the game.
Also, there is always the possibility of another league forming in the wake of excess talent due to a decrease in cap space.
Decreasing the salary cap would inceease holdouts, disrupt the beginning of the 2021 season, and decrease the quality of their product.

I'm not sure there will be an increase in TV viewership this year. I may be wrong, but I doubt we see the same level of viewership as last year. Not too sure how a drop in TV revenues will affect the CAP.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm not sure there will be an increase in TV viewership this year. I may be wrong, but I doubt we see the same level of viewership as last year. Not too sure how a drop in TV revenues will affect the CAP.
With the health situation still going on, I wouild expect an increase in viewership much like that of every medium such as HBO, Netflix, etc. However, I beleive that when the time comes the owners will receive aproval from the NFLPA to modify the cap formula to compensate for lost revenue. They will do it in a way that does not radically disrupt the normal increase of revenue sharing. They will do this for the reasons I previously listed.

It would make sense to do so, they don't want to see any mass exit of talent that had the potential of going elsewhere whether that be CFL or some new upstart attempt similar to XFL.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the health situation still going on, I wouild expect an increase in viewership much like that of every medium such as HBO, Netflix, etc. However, I beleive that when the time comes the owners will receive aproval from the NFLPA to modify the cap formula to compensate for lost revenue. They will do it in a way that does not radically disrupt the normal increase of revenue sharing. They will do this for the reasons I previously listed.
It would make sense to do so, they don't want to see any mass exit of talent that had the potential of going elsewhere whether that be CFL or some new upstart attempt similar to XFL.

I respect your opinion. And, I do not want to bring politics into this discussion as it is against the rules. The NFL will be unlike the networks you mention because there is a choice in programming on HBO, etc. There is no choice in pre-game activities, etc. during a televised NFL game. For this reason, I can foresee a drop in viewership from last year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Meh...if the team accomplished enough on the field to warrant kicking the can a year, then we’ll restructure and be able to fill the holes that we would otherwise fill

Regardless, the $175 isn’t the number we need to be concerned with

If CAP remains the same we'd only have $15m with no QB let alone the other holes.

That's a lot of restructuring ....which leads to future financial problems.

Sydla

Reaction score

True but teams are likely planning now for how they are going to have to manage rosters less than 6-7 months from now. So I suspect many are operating with an assumption that the cap is going to be around $175MM.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I would absolutely positively 100% not franchise tag next year. Put a transition tag on him and match any offer. Teams are not going to have much to spend.

I would call this the "Todd France is an idiot and doesn't read the papers so he had no clue he could be forcing Dak to be a free agent during a down cap year" discount.

A transition tag would be at the same amount as the franchise tag but would only provide the Cowboys with a right to match an offer sheet from another team.

This is probably our last year with Dak. Hopefully we make the most of it.