Twitter: Teams in worst cap shape in 2021 under $175M cap

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
True but teams are likely planning now for how they are going to have to manage rosters less than 6-7 months from now. So I suspect many are operating with an assumption that the cap is going to be around $175MM.

If that's the case and it is the prudent course, we should be looking at offering Dalton an extra year.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
True but teams are likely planning now for how they are going to have to manage rosters less than 6-7 months from now. So I suspect many are operating with an assumption that the cap is going to be around $175MM.

Am I missing something or is everyone else? Prior to...all of this...the 2020 salary cap floor was $165 million, but the cap was $198.2 million. That's a difference of more than $30 million. Now the 2020 floor was raised to $175 million with the cap remaining the same, so I don't see why $175 million is the number that everyone is concerned with. Seems like it's still going to be toughly $198 million

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys NFCCG appearances since 1995: 0
Eagles NFCCG appearances since 1995: 6

I'm not suggesting we throw tons of money around like the Eagles have, but let's not pretend we've had a better approach to roster building the past quarter century.
The Eagles started this model the year they won the title.
It paid off for them as they got rid of the goose egg in the championship column.

But they have gotten a little worse every year since and the combined lack of young draftees and credit card spending will serious hit them next season if the cap is reduce by any real means.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's without Dak's $38M if they were to tag him again.

The Cowboys would be $36M over the cap at that point.

Or look at like this, the 2021 Cowboys have $2M in cap room and the only QB they'll have under contract is 2020 7th round pick Ben DiNucci.
The difference in those lists are the Saints and Eagles have already restructured guys down into 2021.
DAL has not yet done so and has an easy 30M to get.
DAL isn't spending in real FA money next year outside re-signings but what's new.
Look at how much of a teams 2021 cap hit is base. When it's largely base salaries it can be easily reduced.
When it is bonuses and such it can not.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If CAP remains the same we'd only have $15m with no QB let alone the other holes.

That's a lot of restructuring ....which leads to future financial problems.

Again, if the team accomplishes enough on the field, it will be worth it. And in addition, some of the NFL TV deals expire in a year or two. So while the NFL is going to make less money in 2020 due to no fans in the stadiums, you very could see massive TV deals because people will be more inclined to watch games, since there is less going out.