Teams win not individuals

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having watched every NFL season for over 50 years, one certainty that I believe never changes is this: Great TEAMS win, not great individual players. It takes an entire roster, top to bottom to qualify for and win in the playoffs. Sure you have to have talent, but that talent must become a piece in the overall team puzzle. A player’s talent must become a contributing piece of the bigger whole. NFL history is littered with past rosters of super talented players that never learned to be a team.

If the Cowboys are going to take it to the next level, it will be because they put together a collection of talented players that learned to play well together as a team. And are able to overcome the adversity that WILL happen. And the Injuries that will happen. And the problems and distractions that will arise.

Great teams win not because they have the best players. They win because their team learns how to compete and overcome all adversity to win. No excuses.

As the draft approaches, I want to see this team draft the players whose talent will be moldable into a great contributing piece of the whole team.

Sometimes the most important draft pick is the 5th rounder who becomes a key backup who steps in when an injury happens to a starter and plays well enough for the team to win without that starter. That’s what this team needs. Let’s hope this draft produces some talent that makes this a whole TEAM.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I don't think there is any other sport that exemplifies team more than football. The problem is that we are in the age of individuality, look at me, the face of a franchise, whose team is it. It takes a collective effort and the collective good fortune of health to be successful in this league. I am constantly amazed at the actions of players that put themselves above the team, as I am with the number of fans that seem obsessed with the division of a unit and who gets the most credit.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think there is any other sport that exemplifies team more than football. The problem is that we are in the age of individuality, look at me, the face of a franchise, whose team is it. It takes a collective effort and the collective good fortune of Health to be successful in this league. I am constantly amazed at the actions of players that put themselves above the team, as I am with the number of fans that seem obsessed with the division of a unit in who gets the most credit.
Very well said. I think in this “fantasy football” era, the concept of what a team means is lost on many fans.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is a reason why the term Garrett kind of player rose up early in his Cowboys coaching period.

That very point in the OP.

The team has never quit upon a Garrett coached team.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Having watched every NFL season for over 50 years, one certainty that I believe never changes is this: Great TEAMS win, not great individual players. It takes an entire roster, top to bottom to qualify for and win in the playoffs. Sure you have to have talent, but that talent must become a piece in the overall team puzzle. A player’s talent must become a contributing piece of the bigger whole. NFL history is littered with past rosters of super talented players that never learned to be a team.

If the Cowboys are going to take it to the next level, it will be because they put together a collection of talented players that learned to play well together as a team. And are able to overcome the adversity that WILL happen. And the Injuries that will happen. And the problems and distractions that will arise.

Great teams win not because they have the best players. They win because their team learns how to compete and overcome all adversity to win. No excuses.

As the draft approaches, I want to see this team draft the players whose talent will be moldable into a great contributing piece of the whole team.

Sometimes the most important draft pick is the 5th rounder who becomes a key backup who steps in when an injury happens to a starter and plays well enough for the team to win without that starter. That’s what this team needs. Let’s hope this draft produces some talent that makes this a whole TEAM.
More, by far, than any other sport.

I mean, come on, there are TWENTY TWO starters not even counting the rotational and special teams.
One side of the ball does not even play half the game!

In fact, the starters could play great and the special teams horribly, and the TEAM still lose the game.

No other sport like it,

That's why assigning won-loss records to single football players has too be the very worst understanding of the game you can get.
The polar opposite of golf, tennis, boxing, etc.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As exemplified by this past SB champ and even further by the winner of most of the last 10. Stars want to shine, players want to be part of a team.

How many times did we see Belichick make an offseason move and ask "what the hell is he doing? That's his best DL or LB or just recently his best WR". He is the consummate team builder and sees the pieces before he sees the players. They must fit his concept.

It's like watching a movie with one or two stars or one with a good ensemble cast. They compliment each other and the end product is superior to one carried by a couple of stars.

A team has got to have a QB, that's the closest to star that is required but beyond that, it is fitting all the pieces into the puzzle so that they form a piece of art, a team.

Bullet, we let a player walk last year that bit us in the butt as Leary was the consummate team player. I could make the same case for Church. I hope they haven't done the same with Hitchens this time. Team players play where they're needed and serve as motivation for other members of the team.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Yes Bob, great teams over a collection of great players any day. In fact a great team of great players. All of our past SB winners had the latter. Never dismiss the luck aspect portion of winning either, nor the misfortunes of other teams. Some of that luck can be as simple as a ball bounce or deflection in a game or two allowing a team to move into playoff contention and once you're there anything can happen. Losing a key player or getting one back at a key time in the schedule. Getting hot at the right time. Sometimes having a player step in when another goes down and suddenly jumping a foot higher than he ever jumped before and playing way over his head.

I do agree with your post. I don't believe there are enough horrible coaches in the NFL to account for all the teams ineptitude and losing. Just ours, we're unique ;)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As exemplified by this past SB champ and even further by the winner of most of the last 10. Stars want to shine, players want to be part of a team.

How many times did we see Belichick make an offseason move and ask "what the hell is he doing? That's his best DL or LB or just recently his best WR". He is the consummate team builder and sees the pieces before he sees the players. They must fit his concept.

It's like watching a movie with one or two stars or one with a good ensemble cast. They compliment each other and the end product is superior to one carried by a couple of stars.

A team has got to have a QB, that's the closest to star that is required but beyond that, it is fitting all the pieces into the puzzle so that they form a piece of art, a team.

Bullet, we let a player walk last year that bit us in the butt as Leary was the consummate team player. I could make the same case for Church. I hope they haven't done the same with Hitchens this time. Team players play where they're needed and serve as motivation for other members of the team.
Spot on Coach. Belechick is a perfect example of the modern NFL personnel guru. He looks at players who can make his team better- he’s not necessarily looking for the best player but the best player that can fit into their team concept.

Like the great Knute Rockne once said- “I don’t play my eleven best players...I play my best eleven.”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL has become a coach and GM league. The teams that have a good HC and wise FO are the most likely to win Lombardis these days.
Well yea, because they accumulate the most talent that elevates the team around them.

The NFL has become a QB league. And or a great defensive league. Without either your team is SOL.

Until we build a great defense and or have a HOF QB we will remain Pretenders.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

Something that no Garrett-led team has been able to do. Wake me up when it happens...at least while I'm still able to wake up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Spot on Coach. Belechick is a perfect example of the modern NFL personnel guru. He looks at players who can make his team better- he’s not necessarily looking for the best player but the best player that can fit into their team concept.

Like the great Knute Rockne once said- “I don’t play my eleven best players...I play my best eleven.”
Yea but he’s just another good team without Brady. The NFL is a talent driven league. The ones with best QB or defense have optimum chance .

There are no Knute Rockne or Rudy’s in Cap era. Romo was a Rudy but that can only take you so far.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Something that no Garrett-led team has been able to do. Wake me up when it happens...at least while I'm still able to wake up.
He seems to uplift our lesser teams but not as much success with our better teams. Puzzling

CPanther95

Reaction score
"The secret of winning football games is working more as a team, less as individuals. I play not my 11 best, but my best 11."

- Knute Rockne

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Whats his record when Brady isn't playing? Trust me, its not as bad as you're making it out to be. 11-5 when Brady missed a whole season, and 3-1, I think it was, when he was suspended. Lets see your buddy Garrett match that one.
Yea but he missed the playoffs without Brady. Like I said he’s only a good team without Brady not a SB team.

Bill is a great defensive coach and has Brady. Historic combination.

No ones matching it!!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Yea but he missed the playoffs without Brady. Like I said he’s only a good team without Brady not a SB team.

Bill is a great defensive coach and has Brady. Historic combination.

'Cept that the Pats won the SB after Brady came back from his suspension. Hmmmmm.

Keep propping your boy up - he'll never be in the same league as Billy B.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
'Cept that the Pats won the SB after Brady came back from his suspension. Hmmmmm.
Yep which supports my point. Bill has never been to playoffs in NE without Brady.

Bills a solid coach. Brilliant defensive coach and works the Cap.