Teams win not individuals

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Yep which supports my point. Bill has never been to playoffs in NE without Brady.

Bills a solid coach. Brilliant defensive coach and works the Cap.

If Brady is so important why didn't the Pats go 0-4 when he was suspended?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea but he’s just another good team without Brady. The NFL is a talent driven league. The ones with best QB or defense have optimum chance .

There are no Knute Rockne or Rudy’s in Cap era. Romo was a Rudy but that can only take you so far.
I understand what you’re saying but it’s not exactly true with Belichick. The pats are 13-6 in 19 games without Tom Terrific, including an 11-5 season in 2005 in which backup Matt Cassel (we all remember his talent) started 15 of the games that season. And they went 3-1 without him in 2016 during his suspension. The Cowboys usually fall apart when a lineman is hurt much less the starting QB.

Talent sure helps, but if you have a great coach that can shape a team the right way, you can win.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying but it’s not exactly true with Belichick. The pats are 13-6 in 19 games without Tom Terrific, including an 11-5 season in 2005 in which backup Matt Cassel (we all remember his talent) started 15 of the games that season. And they went 3-1 without him in 2016 during his suspension. The Cowboys usually fall apart when a lineman is hurt much less the starting QB.

Talent sure helps, but if you have a great coach that can shape a team the right way, you can win.

Lord help is when Lee gets injured, this defense rolls over and plays dead like a scared possum.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Remember after that 11-5 season which is only season in Brady era the Patriots didn’t make the playoffs which they were defending SB Champs a younger Cassel went on to become the Chiefs starting QB.

And then when Brady was suspended Grappola who took a 1-10 49er team to 5 straight wins last year securing his starting position.

We saw what Belichick was in Cleveland. A solid HC and we know he’s a master mind defensive coach but we’ve never seen what success hed have in the playoffs without Brady. They are one of the greatest HC/ QB combos in NFL history.

But we’ve seen time and time again great HC go to different teams not having the same level of success without the same level of talent . That list begins with Vince Lombardi . Jimmy in Miami another great example. This league proves time and time again it’s a talent driven league Bob.

It takes a good team with a solid defense to overcome losing your starting QB or a backup QB who is possibly starting material . Or both!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yea but he missed the playoffs without Brady. Like I said he’s only a good team without Brady not a SB team.

Bill is a great defensive coach and has Brady. Historic combination.

No ones matching it!!
Belicheat is a great coach with or without Brady. If he was our coach he could win a Superbowl without Brady!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Belicheat is a great coach with or without Brady. If he was our coach he could win a Superbowl without Brady!!
Thats pure speculation and unproven.

We saw what he was in Cleveland .

Bill appears the best coach this era but again it’s unproven without Brady complimenting his teams.

A 11-5 non playoff season with defending SB Champ team supports he’s a good coach with a great QB.

Bill is a great defensive coach. He’s proved that time and time again but he’s never proven he can win a championship without Brady.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having watched every NFL season for over 50 years, one certainty that I believe never changes is this: Great TEAMS win, not great individual players. It takes an entire roster, top to bottom to qualify for and win in the playoffs. Sure you have to have talent, but that talent must become a piece in the overall team puzzle. A player’s talent must become a contributing piece of the bigger whole. NFL history is littered with past rosters of super talented players that never learned to be a team.

If the Cowboys are going to take it to the next level, it will be because they put together a collection of talented players that learned to play well together as a team. And are able to overcome the adversity that WILL happen. And the Injuries that will happen. And the problems and distractions that will arise.

Great teams win not because they have the best players. They win because their team learns how to compete and overcome all adversity to win. No excuses.

As the draft approaches, I want to see this team draft the players whose talent will be moldable into a great contributing piece of the whole team.

Sometimes the most important draft pick is the 5th rounder who becomes a key backup who steps in when an injury happens to a starter and plays well enough for the team to win without that starter. That’s what this team needs. Let’s hope this draft produces some talent that makes this a whole TEAM.
Excellent OP but after reading numerous comments for so many years on this site about football that I can tell you unquestionably some members here see only hieroglyphics.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great coaches assemble great talent .

There’s no substitute for talent.

Great talent elevates all around them.

Great coaches can maintain a certain level of excellence but they still rely on the talent level or they’d win it all every year.

And then there are games when one team or talents cumulatively have an off day or rise up. We call them upsets or signature wins.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Having watched every NFL season for over 50 years, one certainty that I believe never changes is this: Great TEAMS win, not great individual players. It takes an entire roster, top to bottom to qualify for and win in the playoffs. Sure you have to have talent, but that talent must become a piece in the overall team puzzle. A player’s talent must become a contributing piece of the bigger whole. NFL history is littered with past rosters of super talented players that never learned to be a team.

If the Cowboys are going to take it to the next level, it will be because they put together a collection of talented players that learned to play well together as a team. And are able to overcome the adversity that WILL happen. And the Injuries that will happen. And the problems and distractions that will arise.

Great teams win not because they have the best players. They win because their team learns how to compete and overcome all adversity to win. No excuses.

As the draft approaches, I want to see this team draft the players whose talent will be moldable into a great contributing piece of the whole team.

Sometimes the most important draft pick is the 5th rounder who becomes a key backup who steps in when an injury happens to a starter and plays well enough for the team to win without that starter. That’s what this team needs. Let’s hope this draft produces some talent that makes this a whole TEAM.
We had it in 2016.

We lost it by 2017.

It's that fickle.

At least for us.

Part of the inconsistencies are lack of players who know how to adjust.

Coaches, too.

Rare is the time I see us come out in second halves and make changes to win with.

It's like we just keep trying the same old stuff and hoping for a different outcome.

Just is strange to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys haven’t had a good enough team to overcome the loss of key talents whether it was Romo or Zeke.

Mostly it’s been about not having a great defense to overcome those key talent losses.

Or having a good enough backup QB to overcome . Like what a difference Dak and Zeke were in 2016 compared to 2015.

But I’d argue if we had a great defense we could have won some some games with Cassel or Weeden.

Look what Grappola did for a 1-10 49er team last year or what happened to Packers without Rodgers. Not sure why we ignore these obvious examples.

If Eagles didn’t have top 5 defense and a backup QB who is starting potential they would have folded in playoffs .

Nobody is having sustained success without an elite QB or top 5 defense .

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Some individuals help teams win more than other individuals. The more of those guys you have, the more games you will win. So it does boil down to individuals and not the team. For the Cowboys, these guys when healthy are DeMarcus Lawrence, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith and Zeke Elliott. Let's draft and develope more of those guys.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some individuals help teams win more than other individuals. The more of those guys you have, the more games you will win. So it does boil down to individuals and not the team. For the Cowboys, these guys when healthy are DeMarcus Lawrence, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith and Zeke Elliott. Let's draft and develope more of those guys.
This has always been the Jones strategy of team building. Draft guys that are talented and can sell jerseys. Winning? Yeah that would be cool too. But only if he can do it with a mediocre coach so he won’t lose any almighty credit.

If Jerry could only learn- build a team that wins and you will sell more jerseys. Teams that win ultimately will make you the most money. Those 90s teams have buttered his bread for two plus decades.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Garrett would not have won the super bowl with the Eagles team. After Wentz went down, Garrett would have been through. He would not have adjusted the offense to Nick's strengths.
Sad but true not matter how you want to justify Garrett, he would have taken "the excuses everybody was hurt" and the fans would have fallen all over themselves believing it.

dallasdave

Reaction score
More, by far, than any other sport.

I mean, come on, there are TWENTY TWO starters not even counting the rotational and special teams.
One side of the ball does not even play half the game!

In fact, the starters could play great and the special teams horribly, and the TEAM still lose the game.

No other sport like it,

That's why assigning won-loss records to single football players has too be the very worst understanding of the game you can get.
The polar opposite of golf, tennis, boxing, etc.
Well said indeed SIR :bow::bow::bow:

eyedoc

Reaction score

I agree with ur post. However I think great coaching helps mold players into great teams. I believe it’s that combination that makes teams champions. Hopefully our coaching will be better and more able to adapt to adversity, suspensions and injuries that happen every year. New England wins by being able to adapt to those situations. Last year we were sorely lacking in that department coaching wise. Go Cowboys

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The Cowboys had the worst defense in francise history in 2013. They then lose the 3 best players from that defense in Ware, Lee, and Hatcher. The team went 12-4, made the playoffs and won a playoff game for the first time in 5 years.

Team>player.
Excellent statement. Could not agree more. When the unit is sucking it is most likely because your so called "best players" are not what you think they are. I believe that Dez epitomizes this. We will be better without him. His opportunities will go to others who will convert at a higher rate.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This has always been the Jones strategy of team building. Draft guys that are talented and can sell jerseys. Winning? Yeah that would be cool too. But only if he can do it with a mediocre coach so he won’t lose any almighty credit.

If Jerry could only learn- build a team that wins and you will sell more jerseys. Teams that win ultimately will make you the most money. Those 90s teams have buttered his bread for two plus decades.

This is not unique to the Cowboys and I hardly attribute it to the Jones family as "their way". Any team with more of those winning guys is going to win more games. Thanks to FA and the nature of today's ever-churning rosters, it's near impossible to build a team that wins through synergy where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Jerry already sells more jerseys than any other owner so who do you think you are giving him advice on how to sell more? Jerry has a Master's degree in business while you are just another talking head in the peanut gallery. :muttley: