Tell me why we switched offensive coordinators again?

RS12

Reaction score
So a team that already chucks it too much can chuck it even more despite the fact that its O Line is now the stongest unit on the team. Heaven forbid it take advantage of its biggest strength to keep its biggest weakness off the field. The whole out scoring the other guy philosophy didnt work real well last year.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry actually stated his reason why.

Callahan was still OC and it was planned that way. Then Linehan got fired and Jerry said that with Linehan they actually can make real changes, including terminology without changing the offense. Callahan was a West-Coast guy. At the same time, they are keeping the zone-blocking scheme which is a Callahan product. Linehan in Detroit ran a power-blocking scheme.

It's also interesting, because Martin is here. That's probably more Callahan than anything else.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think one main reason is Garrett working knowledge of Linehan and what he brings. They both have worked with each other before.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So a team that already chucks it too much can chuck it even more despite the fact that its O Line is now the stongest unit on the team. Heaven forbid it take advantage of its biggest strength to keep its biggest weakness off the field. The whole out scoring the other guy philosophy didnt work real well last year.

Det ran the ball more than we did. Linehan had the weapons in Bush and used him. Of course Det passed the ball alot they have the best WR in Megatron so of course he is going to get the ball into their #1 weapons hands but Det RB said they ran the ball quite bit as well

Marktui

Reaction score
We changed because Garrett wanted him as the play caller. JG didn't like the way Callahan was calling plays and in his mind if he is on the hot seat well he might as well do it his way.

OhSnap

Reaction score
I think one main reason is Garrett working knowledge of Linehan and what he brings. They both have worked with each other before.

Jerry actually stated his reason why.

Callahan was still OC and it was planned that way. Then Linehan got fired and Jerry said that with Linehan they actually can make real changes, including terminology without changing the offense. Callahan was a West-Coast guy. At the same time, they are keeping the zone-blocking scheme which is a Callahan product. Linehan in Detroit ran a power-blocking scheme.

It's also interesting, because Martin is here. That's probably more Callahan than anything else.

I think Linehan is definitely a Garrett addition, Jerry turned the Cowboys offense over to Garrett so theres no reason why he wouldn't trust him on this hire and it might be 50% opportunity to get Linehan and keep the rushing scores from inside the 20 that Callahan definitely improved on. But it still seems like Bill would have been "good enough" with a healthy D.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Linehan is definitely a Garrett addition, Jerry turned the Cowboys offense over to Garrett so theres no reason why he wouldn't trust him on this hire and it might be 50% opportunity to get Linehan and keep the rushing scores from inside the 20 that Callahan definitely improved on. But it still seems like Bill would have been "good enough" with a healthy D.

Maybe so then again maybe they were not on the same page at times. For this year Callahan main role will be with the OL and given guys like Frederick and now Martin I feel comfortable they are in good hands

OhSnap

Reaction score
Maybe so then again maybe they were not on the same page at times. For this year Callahan main role will be with the OL and given guys like Frederick and now Martin I feel comfortable they are in good hands

I agree they weren't on the same page at times, the switch most definitely caused problems that they couldn't prepare for. I think theres stuff that happened that looked strange or stupid to the fans that came as a result. Same with the defensive switch. For some reason to me it seems like Rob Ryan has been gone for 2 years(TO ME) but last year was the first with the 4-3 in almost ten years.

We probably got the most over qualified O-line coach ever but maybe all these guys are a little bit like training wheels for Garrett? I know that makes some ppls heads wanna explode but ..................

NJ22

Reaction score
The Cowboys have broken the 400 point barrier 11 times in franchise history resulting in 7 playoff appearances and 3 of the 5 Super Bowl trophies they own.

Last year was the 3rd time since 1995 that the Cowboys scored over 400 points but it became the first time the Cowboys would score 400 points and not make the playoffs.

So why did we switch OC's? We scored a ton of points.

Because Garrett is unable to call plays and manage game situations. Hence passing every down when up by 23 until you throw the game in the garbage like vs Green Bay. Or passing with the lead against Detroit and burning next to zero time off the clock and giving them not one but 2 possessions inside of 3 minutes. Or not having a general commitment to the run even when it is working great. Or not getting the ball down field to our best weapon Dez on a consistent basis. They tried to free him up last year but the Callahan/Romo experiment wasn't great so he got sucked back in. I think JG generally trusts the new OC to run things as he has worked with him and he has much more OC experience than JG does.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I have said it multiple times, that garrett in general does like to run the ball. but not having a strong enough running game to support his philosophy, has forced his hand, plus romo likes and relies too much on the pass. I don't think necessarily Linehan is pass happy, although they did that in Detroit a lot, but its mostly because of the crappy Rbs they have had. I think you will see more running, as we have addressed OL, we saw glimpses last year, since we had our first 1000 yard rusher since god knows when.

and plus, we tried to outscore, because we knew we had a crappy defense and had no choice but to score a ton. if this defense goes from 32nd and one of all time worst to mid 20's then we should be ok.

wileedog

Reaction score
I have said it multiple times, that garrett in general does like to run the ball. but not having a strong enough running game to support his philosophy, has forced his hand,.

We were tied for 7th in the league in yards per rushing attempt with 4.5. Its not that we have a terrible rushing game, its that as soon as we have a few negative plays with it Garrett start to lose trust in it and goes back to depending on Romo.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We were tied for 7th in the league in yards per rushing attempt with 4.5. Its not that we have a terrible rushing game, its that as soon as we have a few negative plays with it Garrett start to lose trust in it and goes back to depending on Romo.

or romo abandons the running game and switches plays to pass because he is comfortable.... last year there was a report that hatcher called him out in practice when he switched to a pass play when defense showed run defense and he switched it to pass. I think in one of the few times I have seen garrett show emotion was after GB game, when he has called a run play and romo switched to pass when GB had a run defense front, although they were not able to stop our running game regardless.

garrett also is a numbers guy to a fault. he tries to mix things up, he is fairly even in the run/pass ratio on first down, but in 2nd and long situations he does tend to favor the pass like 70/30, which makes him predictable.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The Cowboys have broken the 400 point barrier 11 times in franchise history resulting in 7 playoff appearances and 3 of the 5 Super Bowl trophies they own.

Last year was the 3rd time since 1995 that the Cowboys scored over 400 points but it became the first time the Cowboys would score 400 points and not make the playoffs.

Why do people with sports cars get their cars tuned? Because you want to take full advantage of the resources you have available.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think you have to look deeper at points provided by special teams and defense, at opportunities missed, etc.?

This offense was a shadow of what it could be with a better coordinator.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I really can't fault the offense too much. The only things I was upset about were not running enough and poor clock management. I'm not sure if that will change with a new OC. But our red zone offense, turnover efficiency, passing game, and rushing game (when we ran) were excellent. The problem was more with decision making than execution.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I think you have to look deeper at points provided by special teams and defense, at opportunities missed, etc.?

This offense was a shadow of what it could be with a better coordinator.

When you look at the amount the offense benefitted from defense and special teams play, it was middle of the road relative to the rest of the league.

cml750

Reaction score
All true, plus total points don't mean much when NFL scoring overall has increased due to the league's quantitative easing of offense. You have to look at league rank.

As dave said above, Jerry was furious after the 2012 failure and wanted to make changes, but he couldn't bring himself to fire his longtime project. So he changed OCs. But Garrett couldn't stand it and inserted himself at the end. So Jerry told Garrett to get completely out, but he'd let him hire a friend who ran basically the same system.

Also, it's hilarious to suggest that Garrett is going to improve Marinelli's defense. The man has been coaching 40 years or whatever and he's going to learn anything from this noob who has never coached defense a day in his life?

Excellent post C-Lab!!!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When you look at the amount the offense benefitted from defense and special teams play, it was middle of the road relative to the rest of the league.

Dallas was fourth in the league in defensive touchdowns scored last year with five and had one special teams touchdown. The Cowboys also were set up with short fields by other special teams returns and turnovers.

Not sure how middle of the road that is.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Because scoring 400 points isnt enough anymore... I would wadger alot of teams are scoring more these days.