Texan Fans are very upset!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Texans threw a draft-day party at Reliant Stadium on Saturday in anticipation of celebrating their selections with the fans.

But the party changed into a Texans roast as thousands packed Reliant Park on Saturday morning still upset from Friday night's news that the team was going to use the No. 1 overall pick on North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams instead of the fan favorite, Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush.

The chants from the fans and season-ticket holders inside Reliant Park included, "Reg-gie! Reg-gie! Reg-gie! Reg-gie!" and "Bob is dumber than Bud! Bob is dumber than Bud!" in reference to Houston owners present and past.
Larry Vasquez, a season-ticket holder since the Oilers were in town, was one of the thousands who made his way to the Texans' party just to voice his displeasure at the move that shunned Bush and local favorite Vince Young.
The Texans said they went with the best defensive player in the draft because of a more pressing need. Bush, with his electrifying skills, was widely considered the No. 1 prospect.

"They are supposed to draft the best player available, but they drafted on need," Vasquez said. "That's not the way you draft when you get into the top five."
A put-on perhaps?

Husbaldo Artega, who wore his newly purchased No. 5 USC Reggie Bush jersey for the occasion, says he couldn't believe it when he heard the Texans had signed Williams. Artega immediately thought the city was a victim of a popular MTV show when he heard the news Friday.

"I was wondering what's going on. Are we getting punk'd or something?" said Artega. "That's what I thought we were getting — punk'd."
This was no prank. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced the already known selection of Williams minutes after the Texans had gone on the clock for the first pick.

The fans at Reliant Park let their feelings be heard with a long chorus of boos as they watched Williams take the stage in New York on the numerous flat-screen monitors.

Going against the tide
One table, however, was in the minority, although its applause was all but muted. Butch Westaway was part of a small group that liked taking Williams over Bush and even Young.

"I think everything in the draft is a crapshoot," said Westaway, a Texans season-ticket holder from Tomball. "Reggie could get hurt in the first practice, the same as Mario could. I think Vince is a three-year project; he's not NFL-ready. Mario is ready to play right now.

"I really did think they would go with Reggie. But when I heard this, it made perfect sense to me. I think we need to sit back and let the coaches do their thing."

Interestingly, the fans cheered loudly when the New Orleans Saints took Bush with the No. 2 pick. And they became even more boisterous when the Tennessee Titans and former Oilers owner Bud Adams took Young with the third pick.

The majority of the fans wanted Young, but they were willing to concede that Bush was the best player in the draft.

"I just think it's a bad move," Artega said. "I would have drafted Reggie Bush, but if that's what they want, then that's what they are going to get.
"It might be a good move or might not, but I just think it's a big mistake."

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
"I was wondering what's going on. Are we getting punk'd or something?" said Artega. "That's what I thought we were getting — punk'd."

Sir, your choice in teams leaves you eternally punk'd...

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
This was no prank. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced the already known selection of Williams minutes after the Texans had gone on the clock for the first pick.
:laugh1: :lmao2: :lmao:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:lmao: The punked line is pretty funny, but the same guy that said this, did this...

Husbaldo Artega, who wore his newly purchased No. 5 USC Reggie Bush jersey for the occasion

calico

Reaction score
Meltdown city.

They finally have something else to occupy their time than their ***** envy for the Cowboys.

Eddie

Reaction score
The Texans made the right choice.

I'd take Julius Peppers over Ricky Williams anyday.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
"Bob is dumber than Bud! Bob is dumber than Bud!" in reference to Houston owners present and past.
"

This shows you how stupid Houstion fans are Bud was terrible owner; Mcnair has been a great owner for them letting his football guys do the work he just hired the wrong one in Casserly.

Houston Fans just showed how stupid they are.

TC4

Reaction score
And I wonder in if, in five years or so, the Texans fans will feel the same way if Reggie Bush turns out to be another Ki-Jana Carter

thewivil

Reaction score
Eddie said:

I'd take Julius Peppers over Ricky Williams anyday.
Yeah, too bad we're talking about Reggie Bush and Mario Williams, eh? :rolleyes:

jman

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Originally Posted by Doomsday101
"Bob is dumber than Bud! Bob is dumber than Bud!" in reference to Houston owners present and past.
"

This shows you how stupid Houstion fans are Bud was terrible owner; Mcnair has been a great owner for them letting his football guys do the work he just hired the wrong one in Casserly.

I think that was the point.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
It's probably not the smartest PR move to hold a huge team-sanctioned draft party when you are preparing to make a draft pick that you know is going to upset 80% of the fanbase.

I mean, even Casserly had to preface his announcement of the signing of Williams with, "For those that are angry with this pick, direct that anger at me, not Mario."

Hopefully the PR and marketing interns were able to tear down the "Welcome, Reggie!" signs before fans started gathering into the stadium.

wileedog

Reaction score
Eddie said:

I don't understand the pasting they are taking over this move. THey already have some decent RBs, and their defense was just as horrible as their offense.

Although they should have just traded down in the first place.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
I wish the cowboys had a big draft party at Texas Stadium

And I wish we had a draft party in the Alamo Dome in San Antonio, future home of Dallas Cowboys Training Camp 07!

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
wileedog said:
I don't understand the pasting they are taking over this move. THey already have some decent RBs, and their defense was just as horrible as their offense.

The line of thinking is that Bush is a once-in-a-generation back, while Williams is pretty much a similar player to Kearse, Peppers, etc. In other words, both will be great, but Bush could be an all-timer.

Now, there are also those that think Williams is the next Reggie White. For those people, the move obviously makes more sense.

The pick isn't a terrible football move as we sit here today. But, as the adage goes, don't draft for need. If three years from now Domanick Davis is a backup somewhere, Mario Williams is a Ok player, and Reggie Bush is a multi-Pro Bowler, well...you know the rest.

Certainly any pick can be qualified with an "If," but when Bush is widely considered the top prospect and you take someone else, it opens you up to some criticism -- even if you were making an OK move when it comes to drafting for need.

The other problem here is that among all the defensive players ever taken No. 1 in like the last 10-20 years, they've all combined for 1 Pro Bowl, so history certainly isn't on the side of this pick.

wileedog

Reaction score
Dale said:
The pick isn't a terrible football move as we sit here today. But, as the adage goes, don't draft for need. If three years from now Domanick Davis is a backup somewhere, Mario Williams is a Ok player, and Reggie Bush is a multi-Pro Bowler, well...you know the rest.

I guess. But Bush is not IMO an every-play workhorse back. Sure he brings a ton of versatility, but he's not Emmitt Smith Part Deux in the classic sense.

This "once in a generation player" is largely the result of massive media hype IMO. THere will be another one in the next draft, and another one the year after that.

And Bush wasn't going to come NEAR living up to the hype behind that O-line.

They should have traded down with the Jets, picked up some extra picks and grabbed D'Brick. Bush has a ton of potential, but so did a whole lot of other "once in a generation" guys who never made it.

Cowchips

Reaction score
I liked the Michael Irvin line on this. He said look at it this way. Mario Williams has the chance to be a Shaq or Ewing. He is a possible great selection. Unfortunately, Reggie Bush can be the NFL version of Michael Jordan. So, Houston took a great selection possibly, but probably passed up a one in a generation selection to do it. Reggie Bush is that good!!

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
wileedog said:
They should have traded down with the Jets, picked up some extra picks and grabbed D'Brick. Bush has a ton of potential, but so did a whole lot of other "once in a generation" guys who never made it.

They tried but there weren't any takers.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:

wasn't Casserly with the Rumpskins for a while??:lmao:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
wileedog said:

Davis is adequate at best. Not a home run threat.