Texas law requiring some drunken drivers to pay child support goes into effect

joseephuss

Reaction score
It comes across as a new law to give the appearance that something is being done. A rah-rah type situation, but it really doesn't seem to have any true substance. Are they going to garner a drunk driver's wages if they are in prison for ending a person's life? I'm for tougher punishment for people who destroy lives while they are drinking and driving, but this doesn't seem practical for many situations in my opinion.

Creeper

Reaction score
Sounds like this just short circuits law suits against drunk drivers. Most likely the family of a bread winner killed by a drunk driver is going to sue for damages including loss of family income, etc. Most likely these families will win their lawsuits. However, collecting on such judgements does not always happen. Liability insurance covers some of the damages but what it the drive does not have liability insurance? I am assuming this law will allow the state to garnish wages and liquidate assets to ensure payments are made. In the end the family of the deceased avoid legal fees, and time consuming trials.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so but I believe in most cases it is not going to amount to much.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Already tried that. It gave us the mafia.
And politicians aren't going to legislate their drug of choice away.
Exactly. Prohibition created crooks like Al Capone, and made him rich. People also found ways around it. It's where "booze cruises" originated. They could anchor a ship in international waters near a US port, and then ferry people out to it for a big party with plenty of booze, and it was legal because it wasn't inside of the United States.
Fun fact: Saudi Arabia has a ban on alcohol today much like the one the US had a hundred years ago. However, you can still get a drink there because of bootleggers and smugglers, much like it was for us. However, the penalties for making or smuggling alcoholic beverages are harsh.

Last edited:

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Fun fact: Saudi Arabia has a ban on alcohol today much like the one the US had a hundred years ago. However, you can still get a drink there because of bootleggers and smugglers, much like it was for us. However, the penalties for making or smuggling alcoholic beverages are harsh.
You must wear Eagles gear when out in public.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Don't people already have the ability to charge a drunk driver in civil court for damages?