Texas Rangers 2014 Season

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meanwhile Nellie Cruz just hit his 12th dinger for the O's which gives him 35 RBI's so far. He's becoming a fan favorite already.

I hadn't been keeping track of him... but yeah, I can understand with that kinda production he's bound to earn some fans.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
The Rangers have been so good the last few years. Now they are in Astros territory. Awful what happened to them.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
The Rangers have been so good the last few years. Now they are in Astros territory. Awful what happened to them.

I miss Nolan.

So do the Rangers.

Looks like JD's run of luck is over, and it won't be as easy to rebuild without an iconic figure and stabilizing force like Ryan.

Interesting coincidence how the pitching left when he did.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I miss Nolan.

So do the Rangers.

Looks like JD's run of luck is over, and it won't be as easy to rebuild without an iconic figure and stabilizing force like Ryan.

Sure seems like anything that could go wrong with them did. This season is already over for them.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Sure seems like anything that could go wrong with them did. This season is already over for them.

Indeed.

Really sad how far and fast they've fallen. We have no reason to believe that they can turn it around this year.

So, the interest I have now is in development of the young guys, and to see just what JD (the Golden Boy) will do to respond to the current deficiencies.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Indeed.

Really sad how far and fast they've fallen. We have no reason to believe that they can turn it around this year.

So, the interest I have now is in development of the young guys, and to see just what JD (the Golden Boy) will do to respond to the current deficiencies.

I have always liked the Rangers even though I don't live in Texas. I guess it's only up from here because they have bottomed out this season.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I have always liked the Rangers even though I don't live in Texas. I guess it's only up from here because they have bottomed out this season.

Well, we went to spring training with great optimism -- I guess we can transfer that to the Cowboys as they start training camp.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I miss Nolan.

So do the Rangers.

Curious what you mean here....

What pitching "left"? Pretty sure everyone's just injured, if i'm not mistaken.

Season is doneski anyways at this point. We're fielding a borderline Triple A club right now and our bullpen is a complete disaster.

If there's any silver lining, at least our younger guys are getting valuable big league experience.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Curious what you mean here....

What pitching "left"? Pretty sure everyone's just injured, if i'm not mistaken.

Season is doneski anyways at this point. We're fielding a borderline Triple A club right now and our bullpen is a complete disaster.

If there's any silver lining, at least our younger guys are getting valuable big league experience.

Just a figure of speech -- the production left.

The starters essentially all took hits, then their replacements haven't delivered, and the pen has tanked.

Look at the the recent guys we've started -- starting to remind me of another local club with a revolving door last year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good Lord. Awful.

Certainly injuries have played a huge part.

But those big contracts they either assumed or signed with aging ballplayers is going to haunt them for a while.

They have some talent in the minors, but the window is closed IMO and maybe a house-cleaning should be in order.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I was just reading a harsh write up online at the DMN website.

It is hard to believe what was once a very good team is now the worse team in MLB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is their manager in danger of firing?

I don't know. I'm not sure what any other manager could have done with all the injuries. Same thing as I posted about Girardi.

The person or persons who thought acquiring Fielding and signing Choo were good ideas should face more scrutiny than should Washington.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I don't know. I'm not sure what any other manager could have done with all the injuries. Same thing as I posted about Girardi.

The person or persons who thought acquiring Fielding and signing Choo were good ideas should face more scrutiny than should Washington.

Thx. I wasn't suggesting he be fired but just curious what hardcore Rangers fans thought.

I remember reading months ago about a Rangers guy who tore up his knee I think by tripping over his dog or something weird like that. I thought at that time I hope that is not a foreshadowing of the season & then they signed all the big name guys & all seemed pointed up.

Too bad. This season is now just embarrassing for them.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Certainly injuries have played a huge part.

But those big contracts they either assumed or signed with aging ballplayers isn't going to haunt them for a while.

They have some talent in the minors, but the window is closed IMO and maybe a house-cleaning should be in order.

Just like with D Ware, the Rangers have needed to make some of those decisions (Cruz, Kinsler, Napoli) which deal with aging high-paid athletes who may have declining skills. While those 3 players are continuing to excel, it's still better to let a player go a year before his decline rather than a year after. This is more difficult to judge in baseball compared to football, because of the special skills non-contact aspect of BB. A FB comparison would be kickers - hard to say when their decline might begin. QB's can hang around longer, too - if they get protection.

So, while the Rangers may have missed on some recent personnel decisions, I don't fault the FO strategy except in 2 positions -1B and pitching. We have a huge hole at first, and we had 2 long term solutions in Smoke and Davis that we let get away. We spent a ton on an overweight slugger with poor bat control who' s too old to learn how to field his position (his name is an odd paradox).

And you can never have too much pitching, so I really lament that Nolan has been pushed out. The starters have had Cowboys-DL-type bad luck, and playing for one the best pitchers in baseball history was a significant chip in the recruiting an signing game.

I'm afraid it's going to be a long, hot, dry summer for the Rangers.