Thank goodness we have the Skins

Sydla

Reaction score
If you look at the last two decades of NFC East football, we should all thank the Washington Commanders for being worse than us and preventing us from basically being the Cleveland Browns of the division. Granted, the gap between us and the Skins over the last 20 years isn't exactly huge. Again, this over the last 20 season:

Cowboys - 8 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins.
Commanders - 5 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins.
Eagles - 11 playoff appearances, 13 playoff wins, 6 NFC Title games, 2 NFC Championships, 1 Super Bowl
Giants - 8 playoff appearances, 10 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls

The gap between us and the top two in the division over the last 20 seasons is massive. You would think something like that would shake Jerry to the core, but alas, I suspect it does not.

The evidence continues to mount that whatever they are doing, whatever they think they've figured out, whatever they believe is right is not actually right but wrong. They preach "patience" when they see new coaches turn around teams within a couple of years. Jerry talks about an "investment" in the head coach believing that at some point, Garrett will buck every trend and actually win something.

The Cowboys are Sears Roebuck. A once powerful and proud entity that failed to adjust to the changing times when Wal Mart and Target and Amazon and other, more innovative retailers popped up. Failed leadership and management decisions, such as acquiring another failing entity in K-Mart, has led to their slow, painful demise to the point where they are hanging on by a thread.

The Cowboys and the Jones' are doing the same thing. They fail to recognize what's going on around them. They think the process is long and winding and full of pot holes but if they stay the course, it's going to eventually result in their ultimate goal. And I think they believe it because there is no doubt a fairly sizable contingent of fans who believe it as well and Jerry points to them for affirmation. The fans who think everything will work out "just because".

We've wasted prime years of Romo and Ware, who were the foundations of those teams 7-10 years ago. I suspect we will waste the prime years of this OL as well as Jerry fumbles through this stretch defending Garrett and his overall mediocrity.

There's no vision here in Dallas. No plan. It's haphazard based on prior seasons results, Jerry's whims, etc. They have struggled to use FA to their advantage like other teams have. They aren't creative in roster building. They seem to always be a step behind the better franchises.

The only solution here is the Jones' need to step aside and bring in a real football person. A real GM. A person who will have a clear vision, that won't waver from that vision and will always be able to make the necessary tough decisions within the framework of that plan.

But that will never happen. So basically we are left with just luck. Good, old plain luck. Luck that Jerry accidently signs some quality bottom feeding FAs that surprise. Luck that they hit big in the draft. Luck that Garrett bucks every trend and turns into an elite coach or that Jerry lucks into hiring the next great coach by accident.

Lady luck. Our best friend at this point.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we could always drop down to a bush league, we already have the coach, but it's not guaranteed we'd win in that league either.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you look at the last two decades of NFC East football, we should all thank the Washington Commanders for being worse than us and preventing us from basically being the Cleveland Browns of the division. Granted, the gap between us and the Skins over the last 20 years isn't exactly huge. Again, this over the last 20 season:

Eagles - 11 playoff appearances, 13 playoff wins, 6 NFC Title games, 2 NFC Championships, 1 Super Bowl
Giants - 8 playoff appearances, 10 playoff wins, 3 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls

The gap between us and the top two in the division over the last 20 seasons is massive. You would think something like that would shake Jerry to the core, but alas, I suspect it does not.

The evidence continues to mount that whatever they are doing, whatever they think they've figured out, whatever they believe is right is not actually right but wrong. They preach "patience" when they see new coaches turn around teams within a couple of years. Jerry talks about an "investment" in the head coach believing that at some point, Garrett will buck every trend and actually win something.

The Cowboys are Sears Roebuck. A once powerful and proud entity that failed to adjust to the changing times when Wal Mart and Target and Amazon and other, more innovative retailers popped up. Failed leadership and management decisions, such as acquiring another failing entity in K-Mart, has led to their slow, painful demise to the point where they are hanging on by a thread.

The Cowboys and the Jones' are doing the same thing. They fail to recognize what's going on around them. They think the process is long and winding and full of pot holes but if they stay the course, it's going to eventually result in their ultimate goal. And I think they believe it because there is no doubt a fairly sizable contingent of fans who believe it as well and Jerry points to them for affirmation. The fans who think everything will work out "just because".

We've wasted prime years of Romo and Ware, who were the foundations of those teams 7-10 years ago. I suspect we will waste the prime years of this OL as well as Jerry fumbles through this stretch defending Garrett and his overall mediocrity.

There's no vision here in Dallas. No plan. It's haphazard based on prior seasons results, Jerry's whims, etc. They have struggled to use FA to their advantage like other teams have. They aren't creative in roster building. They seem to always be a step behind the better franchises.

The only solution here is the Jones' need to step aside and bring in a real football person. A real GM. A person who will have a clear vision, that won't waver from that vision and will always be able to make the necessary tough decisions within the framework of that plan.

But that will never happen. So basically we are left with just luck. Good, old plain luck. Luck that Jerry accidently signs some quality bottom feeding FAs that surprise. Luck that they hit big in the draft. Luck that Garrett bucks every trend and turns into an elite coach or that Jerry lucks into hiring the next great coach by accident.

We are headed to the big NFL toilet bowl with Jerry and his YES men at the helm! The question is who will take pity on us and flush and put us out of our misery!

DBOY3141

Reaction score

I think you need to replace Lady Luck, with a miracle, because that's what it's going to take for this franchise to make it back to a SB with this clown show running operations.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
yes we suck, many of us have been saying that. this isnt evident that we are, the mere fact we cant convince others is. Some are so content sitting in the swamp of mediocrity.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you look at the last two decades of NFC East football, we should all thank the Washington Commanders for being worse than us and preventing us from basically being the Cleveland Browns of the division.
The Cleveland Browns? Really?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The Cleveland Browns? Really?

worse than the browns, we might get to the playoffs, but usually its to be humiliated. so yes, we are worse, at least the Browns dont tease just to fail, they stay at failure and teh fans know what to expect, we go bad, tease, bad, tease bad, tease.

robjay04

Reaction score
Daniel Snyder is a younger version of Jerry, who (unlike Jerry) didn't manage to hit a home run with his first coach before his meddling dragged down the team.

Not really.

The Commanders employ a GM.

It’s just easier to compare the two since they both are highly visible but one is the owner and one is the GM. Remember—-Snyder was always a RG3 guy, the coaches wanted Cousins. I don’t see the coaches having that much power in Dallas.

robjay04

Reaction score
It was an analogy. The Browns are the joke of the NFL. Without the Skins being even more inept than us, we'd be the joke of the NFC East over the last two decades.

Not that it matters much but I believe we have won the most games over the last decade in the division...I believe we are top 5 in the league in that regard.

Obviously we want playoff wins but it’s not like we are picking in the top 5 every season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not really.

The Commanders employ a GM.

It’s just easier to compare the two since they both are highly visible but one is the owner and one is the GM. Remember—-Snyder was always a RG3 guy, the coaches wanted Cousins. I don’t see the coaches having that much power in Dallas.

The coaches have more power in Dallas than you think. Elliott was a coaches pick. Garrett pushed hard for him. Defensive drafting, especially along the DL, has been influenced by the whims of Marinelli and Garrett.

There is just too much dysfunction in Dallas IMO at this point for them to ever be able to get over the proverbial hump.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not that it matters much but I believe we have won the most games over the last decade in the division...I believe we are top 5 in the league in that regard.

Obviously we want playoff wins but it’s not like we are picking in the top 5 every season.

If you don't win in the playoffs, wins don't matter. It's fairly embarrassing at this point that as fans, we have to cling to things like "we have won the most games in the last 10 years in the division" as other teams in the division are making and winning SBs over that time period.

But this speaks to the part of my original post where I mentioned Jerry looks to fans to cite things like we have more wins in the last 10 years as affirmation that he's on the right track.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Depressing. Embarrassing.

A joke that isn’t funny at all.

With Jerry and Jason still in control I have zero confidence that this team will accomplish anything of note. Sad.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
So 8 playoff appearances and 2 wins is better than 5 appearances and 2 wins? Think in baseball the latter is closer to getting into the HOF than the former.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Thank goodness we have the Skins... wonder if that is what the other teams say about us.

Thank goodness we have the Cowboys and Garrett and Jerry..

cowboyec

Reaction score
5-1 in the Nfc East despite a crap season.
BUILD ON IT.
up-grades at OG and swing Tackle.
add WR in draft
continue to build D thru the draft.
Dak...yr3...your turn to make adjustments.
Zeke...stay home at night.
2018....if you want....GO GET IT.