Thank goodness we have the Skins

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Commanders and Cowboys, two teams with little playoff success the last 20 years and I don't think they will have any in the future as long as those two owners are around

robjay04

Reaction score
The coaches have more power in Dallas than you think. Elliott was a coaches pick. Garrett pushed hard for him. Defensive drafting, especially along the DL, has been influenced by the whims of Marinelli and Garrett.

There is just too much dysfunction in Dallas IMO at this point for them to ever be able to get over the proverbial hump.

I agree with that the coaches have plenty of swing. I was just saying that Snyder/Jones is not a good comparasion anymore since Snyder is not involved in football related activities.

robjay04

Reaction score
If you don't win in the playoffs, wins don't matter. It's fairly embarrassing at this point that as fans, we have to cling to things like "we have won the most games in the last 10 years in the division" as other teams in the division are making and winning SBs over that time period.

But this speaks to the part of my original post where I mentioned Jerry looks to fans to cite things like we have more wins in the last 10 years as affirmation that he's on the right track.

I said it in another thread and I’ll say it again.

I’ll take a decade of having a “chance” and being competitive over a decade of being pathetic and winning a couple playoff games in a weak conference(Jaguars). Playoff wins are nice but at the end of the day, the season ends in disappointment unless you win a trophy.

That’s just me, I want to know that this team can beat anyone which usually they can. If I’m going to spend my money to buy gear or go to games, I want to watch a competitive football team and we usually are competitive.

Sadly, I always expect the worst with this team. My expectations at this point aren’t much and that has a lot to do with the Romo years(big Romo fan). It seems like I always expect the worst and hope for the best every week.

Sydla

Reaction score
I said it in another thread and I’ll say it again.

I’ll take a decade of having a “chance” and being competitive over a decade of being pathetic and winning a couple playoff games in a weak conference(Jaguars). Playoff wins are nice but at the end of the day, the season ends in disappointment unless you win a trophy.

That’s just me, I want to know that this team can beat anyone which usually they can. If I’m going to spend my money to buy gear or go to games, I want to watch a competitive football team and we usually are competitive.

Sadly, I always expect the worst with this team. My expectations at this point aren’t much and that has a lot to do with the Romo years(big Romo fan). It seems like I always expect the worst and hope for the best every week.

You really arguing that the last ten years were “us having a chance”?

robjay04

Reaction score
You really arguing that the last ten years were “us having a chance”?

I am arguing we have been competitive for the last ten years. That’s not much but something. Whenever Romo suited up, I felt like we could compete with anyone and I feel the same with Dak/Zeke.

Obviously I expect better. I want a super bowl as much as anyone but it could be a lot worse.

What about you?

Would you rather be a fan of a team like the Jags that suck for the better part of a decade? Their fan base never had a hope and knew they never had a chance. Besides one blip where they won two playoff games, they went essentially a decade without a single positive football memory or..

Would you rather be a fan of a team that is fighting for a divisional title, playoff spot every year but they can never win in the playoffs consistency? I can think of several positive memories this team has given me the past decade...even though they always end in disappointment.

I would prefer the latter option. At least I know we have at least a 50/50 shot at a win any week if I shell out hundreds of dollars for tickets in the offseason and some memorable football.

Romo going toe to toe with Manning in a shootout, crushing the Eagles two straight weeks to break out playoff drought, the lions victory, Zeke’s breakaway run against Pittsburgh to seal the game, the fake punt against Philly last season, TO catching 4 touchdowns in a game, Wittens game winner against NYG in 2015, Romo’s Buffalo comeback win, Romo beating the undefeated Colts, dominating Seattle in 2014. Winning 11 straight with a rookie backfield.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. All we have is the memories..every season ends in disappointment unless it ends in a Super Bowl. I don’t care how many playoff games you win.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am arguing we have been competitive for the last ten years. That’s not much but something. Whenever Romo suited up, I felt like we could compete with anyone and I feel the same with Dak/Zeke.

Obviously I expect better. I want a super bowl as much as anyone but it could be a lot worse.

What about you?

Would you rather be a fan of a team like the Jags that suck for the better part of a decade? Their fan base never had a hope and knew they never had a chance. Besides one blip where they won two playoff games, they went essentially a decade without a single positive football memory or..

Would you rather be a fan of a team that is fighting for a divisional title, playoff spot every year but they can never win in the playoffs consistency? I can think of several positive memories this team has given me the past decade...even though they always end in disappointment.

I would prefer the latter option. At least I know we have at least a 50/50 shot at a win any week if I shell out hundreds of dollars for tickets in the offseason and some memorable football.

Romo going toe to toe with Manning in a shootout, crushing the Eagles two straight weeks to break out playoff drought, the lions victory, Zeke’s breakaway run against Pittsburgh to seal the game, the fake punt against Philly last season, TO catching 4 touchdowns in a game, Wittens game winner against NYG in 2015, Romo’s Buffalo comeback win, Romo beating the undefeated Colts, dominating Seattle in 2014. Winning 11 straight with a rookie backfield.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. All we have is the memories..every season ends in disappointment unless it ends in a Super Bowl. I don’t care how many playoff games you win.

You have a wide definition of "competitive". For example, I don't quite give us credit for being "competitive" just because they were in the playoff chase late in a season. That's a pretty high bar you are setting here to limbo under.

The team has made the playoffs 3 times in 10 years with 2 wins total. At this point it doesn't even really have to be a SB win. Shoot, get me a few NFC Title game appearances here, something like that. Because even I have been beaten down by the morons in charge. But I haven't been beaten down enough to accept what we have because one feels they have been "competitive".

No, I wouldn't want to be a fan of the Jags but that's just you setting a bizarre comparison because the choices aren't limited to being the Jags who sucked for much of the last ten years or the Cowboys who have not done squat themselves in the last ten years of anything noteworthy but at least have won more regular season games than the Jags.

I mean why stop there? Compare us to the Browns if you really want to feel better about the Cowboys and where they are.

There is nothing sillier to me than people explaining away our own ineptitude with the "well it could be worse" excuse. You are exactly the fan Jerry is hoping for IMO.

robjay04

Reaction score
You have a wide definition of "competitive". For example, I don't quite give us credit for being "competitive" just because they were in the playoff chase late in a season. That's a pretty high bar you are setting here to limbo under.

The team has made the playoffs 3 times in 10 years with 2 wins total. At this point it doesn't even really have to be a SB win. Shoot, get me a few NFC Title game appearances here, something like that. Because even I have been beaten down by the morons in charge. But I haven't been beaten down enough to accept what we have because one feels they have been "competitive".

No, I wouldn't want to be a fan of the Jags but that's just you setting a bizarre comparison because the choices aren't limited to being the Jags who sucked for much of the last ten years or the Cowboys who have not done squat themselves in the last ten years of anything noteworthy but at least have won more regular season games than the Jags.

I mean why stop there? Compare us to the Browns if you really want to feel better about the Cowboys and where they are.

There is nothing sillier to me than people explaining away our own ineptitude with the "well it could be worse" excuse. You are exactly the fan Jerry is hoping for IMO.

I used the Jags because several posters were trying to discredit the franchise because the Jags made it further in the playoffs this season thang the Cowboys have in decades.

I believe you’re taking what I am trying to explain out of context.

I am simply stating that we have been fans of a franchise that has gave us some memories, we have even seen a few all time greats to ever wear the star but yes they have also repeatedly let us down. Nothing really more than that. The thread is comparing us to the Commanders..we have had a lot more to cheer for than the Commanders over the last two decades.

I do believe we were competitive and we had a chance no matter what when 9 walked on the field. I am not going to call our last 10-15 years of football pathetic because that will be discrediting all of the excitement and hard work that players like Tony Romo, Jason Witten and Demarcus Ware has given us. We have had plenty of opportunities to cheer over the last 10-15 years.

If we win 4 Super Bowls over the last 10 years, I won’t look back at the time that Romo was here as a failure like I look back at pre-Parcells/post-Johnson Cowboys as a failure. Those teams were pathetic and didn’t have a chance and gave us little to cheer for.

Sydla

Reaction score
I used the Jags because several posters were trying to discredit the franchise because the Jags made it further in the playoffs this season thang the Cowboys have in decades.

I believe you’re taking what I am trying to explain out of context.

I am simply stating that we have been fans of a franchise that has gave us some memories, we have even seen a few all time greats to ever wear the star but yes they have also repeatedly let us down. Nothing really more than that. The thread is comparing us to the Commanders..we have had a lot more to cheer for than the Commanders over the last two decades.

I do believe we were competitive and we had a chance no matter what when 9 walked on the field. I am not going to call our last 10-15 years of football pathetic because that will be discrediting all of the excitement and hard work that players like Tony Romo, Jason Witten and Demarcus Ware has given us. We have had plenty of opportunities to cheer over the last 10-15 years.

If we win 4 Super Bowls over the last 10 years, I won’t look back at the time that Romo was here as a failure like I look back at pre-Parcells/post-Johnson Cowboys as a failure. Those teams were pathetic and didn’t have a chance and gave us little to cheer for.

And I conceded the point we are better than the Skins. The point you apparently don’t want to discuss is we’ve been much, much worse than the other two teams in our division.

So no, I don’t feel better because hey, at least we have a few more memories than the Skins in the last 20 years.

The difference is also when I look at Romo and Ware I see two guys that worked hard but deserved better, mich better than what they got from Jerry and the coaches.