Thank you, Washington Commanders

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Boy, you Poke fans sure can dish it out but when it comes to taking it, you're super sensitive.

Grow a thicker skin, fellas....you're gonna need it. ;)
:huh:

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
superpunk said:
He digs up a year old thread (which was awesome, btw Chief....first time read) to post that. :rolleyes:

So much obsession. Most Skins fans apparently wish their team was the Dallas Cowboys.

:jerk:

Testament to how good that burn must of felt from Chief.

Let those Skins have their small victories. It's kinda fun to see them wiggle a little bit with some signs of life. I was worried about them for a sec. They were looking a little flush in the face, it's time to let them up for some air. It's not like we don't know how this story ends anyway. Funny thing is they don't.

Oh well it's like Mr. Cruise said ... It wouldn't be any fun if they just fell on the ground with their legs in the air now would it?

skinsterp

Reaction score
Chief said:
Thank you, Washington Commanders.

Tom Landry was our hero. And so was Roger Staubach. And Bob Lilly. They were easy to like. Good men. Winners on and off the field.

But every hero needs a villain. In the early 1970s, George Allen was brought in to coach the Commanders and voila … a villain was born. He looked and acted like Dick Nixon’s more-evil twin. The hunched-over physique, the arched eye-brows that topped a face that was up to no good. He was Dick Dastardly, the cartoon race car driver who would cheat to win. He licked his thumbs constantly, why, I’m not sure. Maybe he descended from cannibals. He was quite a contrast from Tom Landry … the always-calm gentleman with a face that looks like it belongs carved into Mount Rushmore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

South River, New Jersey, produced two future NFL standouts just a couple of years apart: Joe Theismann and Drew Pearson. Theismann became a Commander and Drew became a Cowboy. How perfect.

Theismann, with his one-bar face mask, Joe Pesci voice and constant whining was the anti-Staubach. He did the Commanders well, following in the staggered footsteps of former beer-bellied quarterbacks Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

For every Popeye, there has to be a Bluto. Somebody has to lose … and look stupid doing it.

Thank you, Washington Commanders. You’ve made being a Cowboy fan a joy for so many years.

I know this is an older post by Chief, but this was the first time I've seen it.
All in all, a very well written and thought out post. However, there were a couple of crucial omissions in reference to head to head matchups between our two teams. At times, I have a selective memory as well. I know for sure that over the years that I've been rattled by the losses you mentioned here.

My recollection is that when the stakes were the highest and Super Bowl bids were on the line during our two NFC Championship game matchups, George Allen's 1972 Commanders beat your team. Thus his villain status was born.

The same goes for the 1982 Commanders team under Joe Gibbs and led by Theismann.

The Cowboys have so far won the regular season head to head matchup battle and lead by 20 or more games over the 'Skins. When it's all said and done though, the 'Skins are 2-0 against your team when it counts the most.

Thank you Dallas Cowboys.

Here's to a rivalry that will only grow more heated as the next few years unfold. Good luck this year (except against the 'Skins).:cool:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
skinsterp said:
I know this is an older post by Chief, but this was the first time I've seen it.
All in all, a very well written and thought out post. However, there were a couple of crucial omissions in reference to head to head matchups between our two teams. At times, I have a selective memory as well. I know for sure that over the years that I've been rattled by the losses you mentioned here.

My recollection is that when the stakes were the highest and Super Bowl bids were on the line during our two NFC Championship game matchups, George Allen's 1972 Commanders beat your team. Thus his villain status was born.

The same goes for the 1982 Commanders team under Joe Gibbs and led by Theismann.

The Cowboys have so far won the regular season head to head matchup battle and lead by 20 or more games over the 'Skins. When it's all said and done though, the 'Skins are 2-0 against your team when it counts the most.

Thank you Dallas Cowboys.

Here's to a rivalry that will only grow more heated as the next few years unfold. Good luck this year (except against the 'Skins).:cool:

As I have stated earlier, we've only been in the playoffs together 9 times. Out of those 9 times, you lost in the first round 5 of those 9 years.

We were there waitin' on ya... ;)

JohnLockesGhost

Reaction score
Chief said:
With George Allen long passed and the Commanders being on the verge of becoming nice guys,...

I guess by saying "nice guys," the OP meant "perpetual losers." Sorry to become the "bad guys" again. :)

Om

Reaction score
Ah, memories.

1972 NFC Championship - Washington 26, Dallas 3.

1982 NFC Championship - Washington 31, Dallas 17.

The bigger the stakes, the sweeter they are. :)

superpunk

Reaction score
Om said:
Ah, memories.

1972 NFC Championship - Washington 26, Dallas 3.

1982 NFC Championship - Washington 31, Dallas 17.

The bigger the stakes, the sweeter they are. :)

:lombardi:

Beautiful. ;)