Thanks Kellen Moore

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why, but this game was certainly more like the first three than the last three. Whether that means Garrett was involved the last three weeks or Moore suddenly realized the first three weeks were better than the last three, I can't say.

What I can say is there were some brilliant play designs tonight, and it was so fun to watch.
Sure was good to see. Hope we aren't a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde team the rest of the year.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
You know, I should be surprised that people are actually trying to rationalize a response to this statement but I’m really not. It’s okay to hate the coach but stop being ridiculous people. People are turning themselves into a pretzel making fools of themselves.
Sooo, your saying Garret doesn't sucky suck?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Comes down to simple execution. Other than NO, the offense was pretty effective the last three weeks as long as they weren't shooting themselves in the foot. Drops and turnovers were the biggest issues during the skid. They got down early in games which got them out of their gameplan.

People tend to remark on the creativity of an offense only when it works. The Austin TD, for example, would probably had been met with ridicule for, "being too cute," if Scandrick made the tackle near the line of scrimmage. Remember that designed Dak run on 4th down near the goal line that failed last week? He scores on that play and it's, "How great is Kellen Moore?!? He's so creative!!" It failed so the fans say, "Garrett's an idiot! So predictable! Cost us points!!!"

Fact is, they were still doing pre-snap shifts and motions in the prior weeks but those things are less effective when you're down multiple scores and the situation calls for a more one dimensional approach. New Orleans held the ball for nearly 37 minutes. Green Bay went up 31-3. The Jets got an early 3 score lead. When a defense has that kind of cushion, the pressure is off and they can relax in the comfort of just doing their assignments. That pre-snap stuff becomes less important because they're 90% sure you're going to be 1 dimensional regardless of what you're showing.

For all the hype about Moore, they told us all spring and summer they were still running the same plays, just presenting them differently. That's why I think the whole, "Romo said Garrett's running the offense," argument is silly. Of course it's Garrett's offense. It's his team. He's the HC. Moore wasn't coming in and reinventing the wheel. He just put on some new hubcaps and... maybe a tire with better tread?

They still want to run the ball. They're still at their best when they're running the ball effectively. Sure, there are some new wrinkles. But you know as well as anyone, football isn't that complicated. Once you know what your opponent's options are you can start to take those options away.

Collinsworth made a comment during tonight's game I wish more posters would've taken to heart. He said Richard talked about how they know what they do and how you're supposed to attack what they're doing and they gameplan accordingly. Every coach in the league and most veteran players know how you're supposed to attack a Cover 3, Cover 2, single high, etc. This stuff isn't mysterious. But knowing how to do it and being able to execute that knowledge are two different things.

Last bit of my little rant- I recently found an article about how Belichick shut down the Rams in last years SB. To stop their running game, he used a strategy he used back in 1990 with the Giants against the Bears in the playoffs. He took away their intermediate passing game by shifting his secondary around to better matchup against their passing attack. He also noticed that the great super genius McVay had a personnel tell with his tight ends. One guy being on the field meant they were more likely to run and the other guy more likely to pass. I thought only DAL had these kind of tells...

What does this have to do with anything? I think it reinforces my point that there's only so many ways to skin a cat. Football isn't that complicated. These guys are professionals who have devoted their life to it. For all of McVay's adulation by fans and media, his vaunted, "creative," offense was shut down by a 30 year old defensive concept, a personnel tell, and an adjustment in coverage in the secondary. But all of that gameplanning would've amounted to nothing if Brady went out and threw a couple of pick 6s or the offense had turned the ball over in other ways.

Ok. I think I'm done. Tired and rambling now.
Ya know J, I actually agree with all that, but I guess I got so wrapped up in the excitement of thrashing the Eagles that I lost sight of the fact that we weren't down early in the game. In fact, I made the comment to a friend before the game that as long as we don't have to play catch up, the offense should be much more effective, and use more of the misdirection we'd seen earlier. Thanks for reminding me!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
pG6RxAO.jpg
Jerry stole my TV!!

Tommy

Reaction score
Oh wait.....I thought Garrett was responsible for the offense now?
What? C'mon man you need to keep up. Here is what happened...

Jerry Jones finally figured out after 3 games what Zoners figured out in the 1st quarter of the Saints game. That Jason Garrett didn't like all this crazy motion stuff and scoring a lot of points so he made Kellen Moore to stop doing it. Or he may have made him stop because he was getting jealous of Kellen and all his success. CowboysZone is undecided on that.

But for some reason it was "obvious" that KM was back in charge of the offense last night. I am sure Jerry got involved somehow.

Stayed tuned to CowboysZone today for theories on how all that transpired.

Tommy

Reaction score
The team does NOT change play callers on either side of the ball week to week. Garrett is 100% about process and not reacting to bad results. Richard and Moore change how they call a game week to week rather than give it to a different person.

The GB game had great play calls they just ended in turnovers.

The Saints game they simplified due to crowd noise

The Jets game limited a lot without 2 OTs and 2 WRs.

No Cooper or Tyron have a DRAMATIC effect on this offense.

Defense is the same way. Eagles had no deep threat last night so the defense plays a lot differently when you don’t have to worry about 92 yard passes.

These coaches aren’t dumb. Games are more about execution than play calls. Fans like to think they’re being technical by pointing out coaches, but really shows how much lack of knowledge they have.
Nice post!

Its nice to see there are still people in this forum that know what they are talking about.

quickccc

Reaction score
I saw the magic and works of Kellen's hurry up and pre-snap motion when Cowboys hit the wide open alone TD to Jarwin - Philly D" was all confused and pointing and looking at each other
and trying to figure out where to line up and who to cover - and it was a wreck to them.

Can we be like this ON the Road , in a loud hostile crowd ? Or will this only be like this at/in our home stadium only ?

Proximo

Reaction score
You honestly think they’re taking turns putting together game plans from week to week?

lol
This is getting pretty funny.

I wonder how they decide whose turn it is to make the plan that week? Flip a coin? Rock Paper Scissors? Arm wrestling?

I bet they have two different playbooks, too. I mean it’s so obvious when they’re using JG’s instead of KM’s.

:lmao2:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Clearly" ?

Based on some inside information you have? The Defensive Line (Rod's guys) played ball last night. If there was a weakness on the D last night, it was in the secondary (Richard's guys) as receivers were open at times (and thank god Wentz missed a few).
How many times did we blitz or at least threaten to blitz last night? (Chris) A lot!
How many times did you see 3 Dl and 8 in coverage? (rod) None!
How many times did you see DL having to read VS just tee off? They Teed off a lot. Reading is a old school Rod lives by it.
You don't need inside info, just understand what you're seeing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol
This is getting pretty funny.

I wonder how they decide whose turn it is to make the plan that week? Flip a coin? Rock Paper Scissors? Arm wrestling?

I bet they have two different playbooks, too. I mean it’s so obvious when they’re using JG’s instead of KM’s.

:lmao2:

As near as I can tell, they just wait until after the game to decide who called the plays.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Funny how when the team does well it’s Moore and when it does poorly it Garrett.
Nope, when the play calling is crowd the middle and run up the gut, that's got Garrett all over it. Red zone offense, you can tell when Garrett tells Moore to play it close to the vest. Result is quite often a FG, unless there is a heroic effort by someone.